Everyone, it is Time to come to Terms with it. This is the Plan

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Does everyone remember the year when Dallas loved their WRs so much that they went into the season doing jack doo doo to improve the corp? Then after a 3rd of the season was up and everyone saw what trash the group was they scrambled to trade for Cooper? The stench of complacency and inaction from that year has returned. Ineptitude has always been here, but the lack of effort just seems to make it worse. When your job is never on the line, you know how that saying goes….

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I think they will replace them. They just will replace them with guys already on the roster. Let's remember we lost Diggs all year....so him coming back probably puts Bland and Diggs on the outside and Lewis in the slot.

Kendricks can easily replace LVE.

Mazi will replace Hankins

Kearse.....Juanyah or Bell....or anyone...

Gallup...Tolbert

Dorance....Sam Williams

Pollard....as of now I don't see anyone as good as him but a committee can produce what he did since he seemed to be hurt last year.

I'm just saying I think we overrate what we lost.

I have my issues but it's not what we lost. It's that I don't think we really took a step forward.
Add Tyron to the list. He couldn't get to the second level. Biadasz was weak.. I won't miss them. We however do need a RB. But this draft was RB poor..

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The Cowboys front office is terrible managing players contracts. They can't resist paying everybody that 2nd contract, continually make bad restructure decisions and end up moving on from many players with a significant deferred payment. That, or they find it necessary to hold on to a declining player because of his dead cap hit.

They also like to play the "show me" game for 1st contract players ending up paying a premium for those they extend because they wait until the last year of their deal.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
The last time Jerry did a rebuild was in 1989. He is not rebuilding now. His famed "all in" talk was to put pressure on the coaching staff. If Jerry were rebuilding he'd have at least the coach in place to do so right now.

MikeT22

Reaction score
The last time Jerry did a rebuild was in 1989. He is not rebuilding now. His famed "all in" talk was to put pressure on the coaching staff. If Jerry were rebuilding he'd have at least the coach in place to do so right now.
And he didnt do it then either, Jimmy did

Flamma

Reaction score
If this was the Eagles plan, and make no mistake, those “birds” will come home to roost at some point, zoners would be calling it “realistic planning to offset decisions made in previous years”.

The Eagles have tons of big money in the future. They are just in a window where they spent a ton of money now.

There were some folks around here, I’m one of them, who saw this coming long ago for all the reasons you mention. And … we’re fine with it because it signals a practical path forward. The team has always just tried to reload every year. It’s like the Mavs when Cuban said he was “keeping the powder dry” while trying to extend the window.

Looks like the Cowboys may have actually realized that some hard decisions had to be made.

I’m not nearly as emotional as many are because I’m not naive enough to believe that retooling a contender year after year is easy.
The Eagles window will begin to close, and they'll have a few lean years. They don't seem to care. The Cowboys could have done the same thing, but it all hinged on extending one player. The Cowboys chose not to enter the arms race against the Eagles. Probably rightfully so. Time to clear out some of the cap hits.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Good points. You don't do a rebuild and have a QB making the $ Dak is, lol. Plus you wouldn't sign an aging vet who has seen his best days like Zeke. You would also sell of anything of value - Martin, J - LAW, etc that will be too old once you are rebuilt and who still have value to bring you back a bunch of drat picks. Then you draft your QB of the future with your first pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have been seeing post after post talking about how there is no way this team is going to be better than last season. I'm not here to refute this, but rather state that I completely agree with this sentiment. I think we all need to realize that this is not some weak attempt at building another contender, but pretty clearly the start of a a two year rebuilding period. There is a pile of evidence supporting this.

Let's walk through the shotgun barrel the Cowboys are currently staring directly down and the moves made so far this offseason:

- Lame duck head coach and QB. No major contract restructures to clear space. No attempt at signing an impact free agent.

- No earnest attempt at resigning decent starters like Armstrong, Biadasz, Kearse, etc.

- Massive deferred cap hits from stars whose contracts have been restructured multiple times or have recently been released. The most notable of which include:

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

It was never even a remote possibility that this team was going to replace the production of all the key departures this offseason (Gallup, Biadasz, Tyron, Pollard, Gilmore, LVE, Hankins, Kearse) and somehow magically improve the roster with nothing but draft picks. It just is not possible. In a great draft you generally can expect to land three good-great starters at most and maybe a handful of quality backups. Even with a great draft, there were going to be a number of obvious holes.

We all need to start to come to terms with it now - This team is going to take a step back for the next two seasons. The plan in 2024 & 2025 is pretty clearly to eat a number of pretty hideous cap hits in the form of deferred contract dollars + dead money while remaining competitive. There just is no other logical path forward than this.

The only thing Dallas is "All in" on right now is rebuilding this roster and churning what's left of some big contracts. 2026 will be the next time this team will be in financial position to even think about making a run.
That is definitely what it looks like.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been seeing post after post talking about how there is no way this team is going to be better than last season. I'm not here to refute this, but rather state that I completely agree with this sentiment. I think we all need to realize that this is not some weak attempt at building another contender, but pretty clearly the start of a a two year rebuilding period. There is a pile of evidence supporting this.

Let's walk through the shotgun barrel the Cowboys are currently staring directly down and the moves made so far this offseason:

- Lame duck head coach and QB. No major contract restructures to clear space. No attempt at signing an impact free agent.

- No earnest attempt at resigning decent starters like Armstrong, Biadasz, Kearse, etc.

- Massive deferred cap hits from stars whose contracts have been restructured multiple times or have recently been released. The most notable of which include:

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

It was never even a remote possibility that this team was going to replace the production of all the key departures this offseason (Gallup, Biadasz, Tyron, Pollard, Gilmore, LVE, Hankins, Kearse) and somehow magically improve the roster with nothing but draft picks. It just is not possible. In a great draft you generally can expect to land three good-great starters at most and maybe a handful of quality backups. Even with a great draft, there were going to be a number of obvious holes.

We all need to start to come to terms with it now - This team is going to take a step back for the next two seasons. The plan in 2024 & 2025 is pretty clearly to eat a number of pretty hideous cap hits in the form of deferred contract dollars + dead money while remaining competitive. There just is no other logical path forward than this.

The only thing Dallas is "All in" on right now is rebuilding this roster and churning what's left of some big contracts. 2026 will be the next time this team will be in financial position to even think about making a run.
There's a lot of things in life to come to terms with....this is JUST a football team and hobby, there are many things more important in life. Come to terms with that.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There's a lot of things in life to come to terms with....this is JUST a football team and hobby, there are many things more important in life. Come to terms with that.
Oh don't be so melodramatic.

Trust me, what the Cowboys do on any given day checks in as nearly irrelevant to all of us. We all have our own actual lives to live. The Cowboys are basically entertainment. I just enjoy talking shop about it, as you obviously do too or you wouldn't even be here.

If you've got nothing to actually contribute to the thread, don't go lecturing random strangers on an NFL football forum about what they should be valuing in their life. It's pretty insulting, coach.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If they bomb and make a change at HC then you aren't stuck with a QB the HC doesn't want.

Seems to me they aren't sold on Dak. When has Jerry not signed a player that he really wanted?
That's what makes no sense to me because it's year 8 for Dak. You know what he is. You know what McCarthy is. Now with a head coach it's a little different because you have to go by results as opposed to skill. With Dak they should've known long before now but they are still asking themselves the same question.

I think with Dak they want him at a certain price and he's not budging.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh don't be so melodramatic.

Trust me, what the Cowboys do on any given day checks in as nearly irrelevant to all of us. We all have our own actual lives to live. The Cowboys are basically entertainment. I just enjoy talking shop about it, as you obviously do too or you wouldn't even be here.

If you've got nothing to actually contribute to the thread, don't go lecturing random strangers on an NFL football forum about what they should be valuing in their life. It's pretty insulting, coach.
So I did what you just did? Lol! What do you contribute? Not a dang thing!

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So I did what you just did? Lol! What do you contribute? Not a dang thing!
Let's call it quits here. You've generally been one of the posters around here whose posts I enjoy reading and I don't want to get in a pointless insult match.

This one's on me for even escalating at all.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
We know we aren't winning jack this year. Regardless if you see 4 wins (like I do) or 10, we aren't sniffing a Championship game. If this is the path that Daddy&Son are going down, then it's absolutely idiotic to not trade Micah for draft capital. They will never go all in in FA, ever. So the only hope we have is to accumulate several 1st round picks. Not too many ways to go about that. You can tank and you can trade. It's a stupid plan to win a Super Bowl, but Cap Boy is even cheaper than his dad, so...

GMO415

Reaction score
Yes, its clearly death by 1K cuts. Dak will have an inept running game that will be disastrous for this team. They won't even make the playoffs. 2025 Lance will QB and he will only get paid $20 million a season.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
That's what makes no sense to me because it's year 8 for Dak. You know what he is. You know what McCarthy is. Now with a head coach it's a little different because you have to go by results as opposed to skill. With Dak they should've known long before now but they are still asking themselves the same question.

I think with Dak they want him at a certain price and he's not budging.
They couldn't do anything because of the contract they gave Dak. They also gave Dak a contract cause he is a really good QB, no backup plan and for whatever reason hasn't gotten it done in the postseason.

It doesn't have anything to do with if they know what he is, they do. Just didn't have a backup plan if it didn't work