Everyone, it is Time to come to Terms with it. This is the Plan

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They couldn't do anything because of the contract they gave Dak. They also gave Dak a contract cause he is a really good QB, no backup plan and for whatever reason hasn't gotten it done in the postseason.

It doesn't have anything to do with if they know what he is, they do. Just didn't have a backup plan if it didn't work
It does. If Dak said he’d take 40 million he would be signed. I’m just going by what the front office shows and to not sign your franchise QB or trade him is criminal.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I have been seeing post after post talking about how there is no way this team is going to be better than last season. I'm not here to refute this, but rather state that I completely agree with this sentiment. I think we all need to realize that this is not some weak attempt at building another contender, but pretty clearly the start of a a two year rebuilding period. There is a pile of evidence supporting this.

Let's walk through the shotgun barrel the Cowboys are currently staring directly down and the moves made so far this offseason:

- Lame duck head coach and QB. No major contract restructures to clear space. No attempt at signing an impact free agent.

- No earnest attempt at resigning decent starters like Armstrong, Biadasz, Kearse, etc.

- Massive deferred cap hits from stars whose contracts have been restructured multiple times or have recently been released. The most notable of which include:

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

It was never even a remote possibility that this team was going to replace the production of all the key departures this offseason (Gallup, Biadasz, Tyron, Pollard, Gilmore, LVE, Hankins, Kearse) and somehow magically improve the roster with nothing but draft picks. It just is not possible. In a great draft you generally can expect to land three good-great starters at most and maybe a handful of quality backups. Even with a great draft, there were going to be a number of obvious holes.

We all need to start to come to terms with it now - This team is going to take a step back for the next two seasons. The plan in 2024 & 2025 is pretty clearly to eat a number of pretty hideous cap hits in the form of deferred contract dollars + dead money while remaining competitive. There just is no other logical path forward than this.

The only thing Dallas is "All in" on right now is rebuilding this roster and churning what's left of some big contracts. 2026 will be the next time this team will be in financial position to even think about making a run.
I think this is an accurate analysis. The Super Bowl or bust syndrome is more difficult on the players if we get off to a bad start.

And successful GMs for elite organizations are very cold hearted when it comes to roster building because they have to be. Signing Zeke is the antithesis of that.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I have been seeing post after post talking about how there is no way this team is going to be better than last season. I'm not here to refute this, but rather state that I completely agree with this sentiment. I think we all need to realize that this is not some weak attempt at building another contender, but pretty clearly the start of a a two year rebuilding period. There is a pile of evidence supporting this.

Let's walk through the shotgun barrel the Cowboys are currently staring directly down and the moves made so far this offseason:

- Lame duck head coach and QB. No major contract restructures to clear space. No attempt at signing an impact free agent.

- No earnest attempt at resigning decent starters like Armstrong, Biadasz, Kearse, etc.

- Massive deferred cap hits from stars whose contracts have been restructured multiple times or have recently been released. The most notable of which include:

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

It was never even a remote possibility that this team was going to replace the production of all the key departures this offseason (Gallup, Biadasz, Tyron, Pollard, Gilmore, LVE, Hankins, Kearse) and somehow magically improve the roster with nothing but draft picks. It just is not possible. In a great draft you generally can expect to land three good-great starters at most and maybe a handful of quality backups. Even with a great draft, there were going to be a number of obvious holes.

We all need to start to come to terms with it now - This team is going to take a step back for the next two seasons. The plan in 2024 & 2025 is pretty clearly to eat a number of pretty hideous cap hits in the form of deferred contract dollars + dead money while remaining competitive. There just is no other logical path forward than this.

The only thing Dallas is "All in" on right now is rebuilding this roster and churning what's left of some big contracts. 2026 will be the next time this team will be in financial position to even think about making a run.

Also, look at what the team has not done yet as far as draft capital. No 2025 picks traded for current players. The bulk of cap hits (for expiring contracts) has been pushed to this and next season. Which means the team seems to be readying itself for a major shakeup over the course of 2025 and 2026.

They cannot move Dak’s contract numbers much without a huge restructure or extension, which makes trading him difficult even if he agreed to it.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It does. If Dak said he’d take 40 million he would be signed. I’m just going by what the front office shows and to not sign your franchise QB or trade him is criminal.
Not if they want to move on with the HC after the season. Getting a new HC needs to get his QB that works for him.

Reports are out, from both the Jones and Dak, that they haven't even talked about a contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not if they want to move on with the HC after the season. Getting a new HC needs to get his QB that works for him.

Reports are out, from both the Jones and Dak, that they haven't even talked about a contract.
Why are Dak and Mike linked? What am I missing?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
A little more dramatic than it is. Really only lost Tyron Smith who's oft injured and at the back end of his career. The rest were Jags who are easily replaceable, non game changers.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I am fine with what the front office is doing. Running back and DT are the only positions I think I would consider below standard. I don’t see any reason why this team should be any worse than last years.

Next year more dead weight will be shed. They will have 11 picks to replace those players. Then the dead cap hits will be much improved. As long as they don’t do something stupid like pay a top 15 QB a record contract because it’s his turn, they have every opportunity to build a winner.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

Nice post. We could go further and cut DAK PRE-June, take the CAP hit this year (we only need to find $11m.....which gets recouped Post-June when the Gallup CAP cut takes effect).....rather than passing the Dead Money buck onto 2025.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Martin - $17,991,000
Lawrence - $20,445,000
Gallup - $13,850,000
Dak - $55,132,647

Dead Money
Tyron - $6,005,000

Zeke - $6,040,000

Dak - $40,137,647
Lawrence - $7,445,000
Martin - $10,655,000

Dead Money
Gallup - $8,700,000

Thank you for the good write up. Well tought and written down without the usual emotions most posters here use.

Those kind of posts help this forum to get better.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like we may Derek Carr him. The Raiders were beyond incredibly stupid for just letting him walk away w/ no compensation. And no, some late 3rd comp pick is not compensation.

kskboys

Reaction score
I am fine with what the front office is doing. Running back and DT are the only positions I think I would consider below standard. I don’t see any reason why this team should be any worse than last years.

Next year more dead weight will be shed. They will have 11 picks to replace those players. Then the dead cap hits will be much improved. As long as they don’t do something stupid like pay a top 15 QB a record contract because it’s his turn, they have every opportunity to build a winner.
Or trade away 1sts in some pathetic attempt to stay relevant.

Darkhound

Reaction score
after the serious cap hits are gone, I hope a football guy is brought in to do future contracts. Let Jerry and his boy go deal with Pepsi and AT & T. Marketing is in their wheelhouse, not building a football team.
Not going to happen.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nice post. We could go further and cut DAK PRE-June, take the CAP hit this year (we only need to find $11m.....which gets recouped Post-June when the Gallup CAP cut takes effect).....rather than passing the Dead Money buck onto 2025.
I wish they would be decisive with the Dak situation. In my opinion, the fact they haven't made any attempt to resign him speaks volumes.

I could live with them resigning him to a $45-$50mil deal like Cousins' but he has all of the leverage and no incentive to help them out given how this situation has gone down.

He needs to be cut or traded if their whole plan is to just let him walk away next year. To not net some form of compensation for losing your franchise QB would be incredibly stupid.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I wish they would be decisive with the Dak situation. In my opinion, the fact they haven't made any attempt to resign him speaks volumes.

I could live with them resigning him to a $45-$50mil deal like Cousins' but he has all of the leverage and no incentive to help them out given how this situation has gone down.

He needs to be cut or traded if their whole plan is to just let him walk away next year. To not net some form of compensation for losing your franchise QB would be incredibly stupid.
Agree, apart for the leverage comment. Jerry has some leverage as he can cut Dak, who won't find a team to pay him $29m for 2024.
If there's no 'home town discount', save $29m and put it towards the bid in 2025.
The decisions already been made that we aren't focusing on 2024....indeed cutting Dak Pre-June would clear his CAP debt prior to 2025.

kskboys

Reaction score

Maybe, maybe not. I've tried, I really can't find a team out there that would pay him more than 40.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe, maybe not. I've tried, I really can't find a team out there that would pay him more than 40.
I'm pretty sure Atlanta would have done it is Dallas had been actively shopping him this offseason.

Denver and Vegas also come to mind. There are a lot of QB needy teams out there.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agree, apart for the leverage comment. Jerry has some leverage as he can cut Dak, who won't find a team to pay him $29m for 2024.
If there's no 'home town discount', save $29m and put it towards the bid in 2025.
The decisions already been made that we aren't focusing on 2024....indeed cutting Dak Pre-June would clear his CAP debt prior to 2025.
If you pre June 1 him, you will be eating:

Dead Money - $66,270,294 (An additional $11,000,00 against the cap this year compared to keeping him)

Dead Money - $40,137,647 (No additional charge against the cap)

I agree with your assessment here. If you don't intend on resigning Dak in 2025 (personally I think they've already made up their mind not to at this point), then just getting it over with now and really turning this into a true tank job is probably the most reasonable path forward.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If this was the Eagles plan, and make no mistake, those “birds” will come home to roost at some point, zoners would be calling it “realistic planning to offset decisions made in previous years”.

The Eagles have tons of big money in the future. They are just in a window where they spent a ton of money now.

There were some folks around here, I’m one of them, who saw this coming long ago for all the reasons you mention. And … we’re fine with it because it signals a practical path forward. The team has always just tried to reload every year. It’s like the Mavs when Cuban said he was “keeping the powder dry” while trying to extend the window.

Looks like the Cowboys may have actually realized that some hard decisions had to be made.

I’m not nearly as emotional as many are because I’m not naive enough to believe that retooling a contender year after year is easy.
lol.

The eagles have won a Super Bowl, rebuilt and were in another one in the last decade.

Jerry is still trying to figure out the salary cap.

One of these isn’t like the other. So please don’t compare them.

I bet you Howie knew what the Cowboys cap situation was at the senior bowl. And he isn’t the GM of the cowboys.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I think the only guys they’ll miss are Tyron and Armstrong. Guyton is going to have growing pains and give up sacks. There’s also no way Kneeland plays as well as Armstrong during his rookie season.

I think Bebee is a slight upgrade over Biadasz and Pollard was awful last season so I don’t think they’ll miss him unless he bounces back to pre-injury form.