Everyone we needed to lose won

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2439711 said:
That's not correct. In any tiebreaker, only one team from each division can be involved at a time. And once a team advances, the tiebreaker is dissolved and a new tiebreaker is formed.

Let's say, for example, that Dallas, Washington and Tampa Bay all finish 12-4. No other wild-card contenders finish better than 11-5. Hypothetically, imagine that Washington has the tiebreaker over Tampa Bay (I haven't checked to see if they would or not).

The two wild cards WOULD NOT be the two teams with the best conference record (Washington and Tampa Bay). Because Washington would be ahead of Dallas in the East, the first tiebreaker would be between Washington and Tampa Bay. Washington would win that. Then Dallas would move into a tiebreaker with Tampa Bay, and Dallas would win that based on head-to-head. So the two wild-card teams would be Washington and Dallas, and Tampa Bay would be left out.

Honestly, you never cease to amaze me.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
there has to be some simulator that takes all of the variables into account somewhere.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2439713 said:
so the only way for dallas to not get in at 12-4 would be a tie between carolina and tampa? that seems as unlikely as us winning all of our games.

No, that's not the ONLY way, but it's one of the few ways.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I'd have to double check to make sure, but I dont think an 11-5 team has ever missed the playoffs. 12-4 definitely hasnt. 10-6 has on some occasions.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
dbair1967;2439779 said:
I'd have to double check to make sure, but I dont think an 11-5 team has ever missed the playoffs. 12-4 definitely hasnt. 10-6 has on some occasions.

Cleveland was 10-6 last year and didnt go to the playoffs.

There have been others, Cleveland last year is the only one I remember right now.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
It make me laugh because 3 weeks ago during our bye week there were know it alls that were convinced Washington wasn't a must win game, argued and told everyone to "relax, there's still time".

Well, now I hear this and going 12-4 isn'tgoing to happen but we do need to go 11-5. Washington is going to falter, they are 2 1 dimensional on offense and that main dimension "Portis" is runing on a busted wheel.

But it means squat, we need not to worry about the other wildcard contestants and continue to think 1 game at a time and play with the mentality of must win. We're in the playoffs right now to get to the actual playoffs. Lets just focus on this team and our next opponent. I am just worried about how to get to 8-4 and not who is where and what on any other team.

If we don't get to 8-4 before the Steelers game forget it. We are going to find ourselves in 3 really physical games after Seattle and we need to prepare for Thursday, win and stay healthy. Only thing that should be on our minds and the players minds is Thanksgiving against Seattle.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2439034 said:
i wonder what they're saying about us? do other fans really think we will go 12-4? you do know tb and carolina have a win on us right(only one of them will be fighting with us for a spot though)? washington has the tie-breaker with an easier scheduule. atlanta is also ahead of us i believe.
Now you're confusing the possible with the probable. You're original point appears to be correct, at least according to Adam although it requires one specific game to end in a tie, which of course is nearly impossible. But stick with that because not only are we not going to go 12-4, no more than one4 of those other teams are either. None of those teams are good enough to win out.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2439047 said:
yep. we do not control our own destiny! we have to win and HOPE for the best. so lets keep winning and pray other teams falter.
You really don't get it. If we win out, we don't have to hope for the best -- we have to hope that the almost impossible doesn't happen. Two very different things.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I think there are more teams hoping we miss the playoffs than teams we need to hope stumble. Next week is Seattle.. win that one.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2439807 said:
It make me laugh because 3 weeks ago during our bye week there were know it alls that were convinced Washington wasn't a must win game, argued and told everyone to "relax, there's still time".

Well, now I hear this and going 12-4 isn'tgoing to happen but we do need to go 11-5. Washington is going to falter, they are 2 1 dimensional on offense and that main dimension "Portis" is runing on a busted wheel.

But it means squat, we need not to worry about the other wildcard contestants and continue to think 1 game at a time and play with the mentality of must win. We're in the playoffs right now to get to the actual playoffs. Lets just focus on this team and our next opponent. I am just worried about how to get to 8-4 and not who is where and what on any other team.

If we don't get to 8-4 before the Steelers game forget it. We are going to find ourselves in 3 really physical games after Seattle and we need to prepare for Thursday, win and stay healthy. Only thing that should be on our minds and the players minds is Thanksgiving against Seattle.

Thanks for the pep talk, coach. ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Dallas takes care of their business they will make it, these other teams will be facing each other in many cases and will knock each other out. All Dallas has to do is go out and win games.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skinsmaniac;2439648 said:
Dallas's victory over TB doesn't mean squat.
Well, that's not exactly true - it only comes into play if Dallas and TB tie for the same record, but no other NFC team has that record. In your example, Washington, Dallas, and TB all finish at 12-4. If that happens, then the teams to get the wildcard spot will be the two with the best conference record. Dallas would be the odd man out with 4 conference losses. This "Dallas has the tiebreaker over TB" line is actually very unlikely to help the Cowboys.
Well. I opened this thread this morning, read this, began doing this :bang2: and wondered to myself, "Do people even do research before they type?" Thankfully, I kept reading and found...
AdamJT13;2439711 said:
That's not correct. In any tiebreaker, only one team from each division can be involved at a time. And once a team advances, the tiebreaker is dissolved and a new tiebreaker is formed.

Let's say, for example, that Dallas, Washington and Tampa Bay all finish 12-4. No other wild-card contenders finish better than 11-5. Hypothetically, imagine that Washington has the tiebreaker over Tampa Bay (I haven't checked to see if they would or not).

The two wild cards WOULD NOT be the two teams with the best conference record (Washington and Tampa Bay). Because Washington would be ahead of Dallas in the East, the first tiebreaker would be between Washington and Tampa Bay. Washington would win that. Then Dallas would move into a tiebreaker with Tampa Bay, and Dallas would win that based on head-to-head. So the two wild-card teams would be Washington and Dallas, and Tampa Bay would be left out.
Bless you Adam. You saved me from yet another headache of a reply. Now, where's zeroburrito..?