Everyone we needed to lose won

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2439057 said:
But IF we go 12-4, the only way we don't make the playoffs is if an extremely unlikely set of circumstances occurs. The difficult part will be winning our next five games, not getting the tiny bit of "help" we need.

The best part about this win is that the next one is only 4 days away. It keeps us in the hunt, but we need to start putting pressure on other teams. It would be nice to have a few extra days to prepare for the steelers coming off a win. Some of these other teams will falter, so I think we are fine.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Atlanta is a different team on the road. They may very well drop those games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
zeroburrito;2439009 said:
you are missing the point. we do NOT control our own destiny. i'm starting to think people don't know what that means. controlling your own destiny means you can win whats in front of you and make the playoffs with no help. this is not the case. we need help.

Well every team isn't going to win out. If the Cowboys win all of their games they'll get into the playoffs. There has never been a 12-4 team not make the playoffs. Will they win all of them? I don't know. But they control their own destiny.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zeroburrito, answer me this.

If Dallas, Washington, Tampa Bay and Carolina all finish 12-4:
  1. Which team will finish as a divisional champion?
  2. Which two teams will finish as wild cards?
  3. Which team will finish out of the playoffs?
Tick, tock.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
If we finish strong we'll be in the playoffs. We wont miss the playoffs at 11-5 and certainly wouldnt at 12-4. 10-6 is where we have some problems and would need some help in all liklihood.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
We aren't finishing 12-4 guys. If it happens, it happens, but I wouldn't count on it.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
DallasEast;2439079 said:
zeroburrito, answer me this.

If Dallas, Washington, Tampa Bay and Carolina all finish 12-4:
  1. Which team will finish as a divisional champion?
  2. Which two teams will finish as wild cards?
  3. Which team will finish out of the playoffs?
Tick, tock.

we would have to hope carolina wins their division. we would get in over tampa, washington would get in over us. if tampa wins the division, it may be different. not sure if atlanta could also go 12-4. if they could, then they knock us out. i think tampa would win the division if they both go 12-4(splitting their games). which would nullify our tiebreaker with tampa.

tick, tock.

Bizwah

Reaction score
TheCount;2439081 said:
We aren't finishing 12-4 guys. If it happens, it happens, but I wouldn't count on it.

I agree....in all likelyhood we won't.

But is there a team out there on our schedule we can't beat?

If we play the way we're capable of, we SHOULD win the rest of our games.

It's possible...however unlikely.

noletime95

Reaction score
Bizwah;2439089 said:
I agree....in all likelyhood we won't.

But is there a team out there on our schedule we can't beat?

If we play the way we're capable of, we SHOULD win the rest of our games.

It's possible...however unlikely.

I'm not sure Dallas will be favored @ Pitt or vs. the Gints. I'm not sure if Dallas is better than Pitt AND it's a road game. Dallas might be modestly more talented. The Giants are the best team in the league.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
TheCount;2439081 said:

You never know. No one thought we'd beat the Packers at Lambeau and then weeks later lose to the Rams but it happened. You can't predict the NFL. You'll always fail.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zeroburrito;2439085 said:
we would have to hope carolina wins their division. we would get in over tampa, washington would get in over us. if tampa wins the division, it may be different. not sure if atlanta could also go 12-4. if they could, then they knock us out.
Explain how mathematically and according to the tiebreaker system Tampa will finish as NFC South champions at 12-4 and keep Dallas out of the playoffs with a 12-4 record?

Changed it, didn't ya? ;)

Bizwah

Reaction score
noletime95;2439092 said:
I'm not sure Dallas will be favored @ Pitt or vs. the Gints. I'm not sure if Dallas is better than Pitt AND it's a road game. Dallas might be modestly more talented. The Giants are the best team in the league.

Throw out the records....look at the rosters.

Is there a team we should really fear?

No.

We have as much, if not more talent than anyone else in the NFL. Yes, we'll not be favored vs NY and Pitt....but who cares?

If we play our best.....NO ONE can beat us. Yes, I think we can even beat NY. I agree...they're the best team in the NFL....right now....But many things can change. If we play up to our capabilities, we can beat them...handily.

But that's a big if.....and has been all year.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
noletime95;2439092 said:

Steelers are a better team then the Cowboys right now. Giants are arguably the best team in the league. If our team keeps playing like they did today though, every one of these games is winnable. Some side stuff on the the steelers: Their offense is a dud and getting worse. Their running game is injury plagued and their passing game isnt getting scores.

Zeros just saying the margin of error is much smaller than it is for other teams. We put ourselves in a bad position losing to conference opponents. We need some luck to make it, theres no doubting that.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
DallasEast;2439103 said:
Explain how mathematically and according to the tiebreaker system Tampa will finish as NFC South champions at 12-4 and keep Dallas out of the playoffs with a 12-4 record?

Changed it, didn't ya? ;)

if tampa and carolina have the same record and split their games, what is the tie-breaker?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
zeroburrito;2439111 said:
if tampa and carolina have the same record and split their games, what is the tie-breaker?

Only way they become 12-4 is if carolina beats tampa in their December 8th matchup. Their conf record and division record will be the same. So the tiebreaker will be strength of victory. This is calculated by the winning percentage of opponents they beat. You can't calculate that now, it depends how the year is finished.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2439124 said:
Only way they become 12-4 is if carolina beats tampa in their December 8th matchup. Their conf record and division record will be the same. So the tiebreaker will be strength of victory. This is calculated by the winning percentage of opponents they beat.

str of victory over conf record?

ellz

Reaction score
at this point Im hoping Carolina starts to drop more games also... they were looking like a lock for the Division at one point or at least a Playoff spot but have looked pretty average recently... pulled out a Late W against the Lions, played AWFUL against the Raiders but the D bailed them out... I really dont think theyre THAT good of a team at this point.

I agree on the Falcons being suspect on the road, playing at San Diego will be tough next week but Turner ran wild today & hes facing his old squad back at home... They might pull it out

If anything I still think the Bucs are the weakest of the 4 Teams competing for a spot, just not impressed at all

zeroburrito

Reaction score
ok so there is no way to know who will be division lead till we see how it all turns out...lame.