Everything Hinges On Lights Out Defensive Play

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
2min to go and opposite team has the ball with FG to tie and TD to win.

Brady/Rodgers/Mahomes kind of QB there, the other team wins 95% of the times. We got lucky to get out with a win.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I thought stats dont matter....or is that only when you speak about players on this team.

I dont care what the stats say. He has been sailing passes for years.
Stats don't tell you a lot of things but how can a guy be the most productive passer ever and be inaccurate? If true, imagine how good he would be if he improved.

Maybe you say a game like last night and it's influencing your opinion. I'm just suggesting that your impression of him doesn't line up with his production nor my experiences watching him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Stats don't tell you a lot of things but how can a guy be the most productive passer ever and be inaccurate? If true, imagine how good he would be if he improved.

Maybe you say a game like last night and it's influencing your opinion. I'm just suggesting that your impression of him doesn't line up with his production nor my experiences watching him.
Dak is considered accurate according to his "stats"

Have you watched him play? Does he seem accurate to you?

I rest my case.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Dak is considered accurate according to his "stats"

Have you watched him play? Does he seem accurate to you?

I rest my case.
I have always said "context" is paramount regarding any analysis. Of course Dak is inaccurate and inconsistent. His stats are largely long hand offs & wide open completions.

Herbert certainly missed some last night (if not, we lose). He also completed several that very few QB's could have. Overall, he and Dak aren't in the same galaxy of QB talent \ skill. That should be painfully obvious to anyone.

rambo2

Reaction score
I have always said "context" is paramount regarding any analysis. Of course Dak is inaccurate and inconsistent. His stats are largely long hand offs & wide open completions.

Herbert certainly missed some last night (if not, we lose). He also completed several that very few QB's could have. Overall, he and Dak aren't in the same galaxy of QB talent \ skill. That should be painfully obvious to anyone.
Lol, Dak made some bigtime throws on 3rd down which were not long hand offs.

phildadon86

Reaction score

I am not saying they are close talent wise. But you are using stats to justify one player being accurate while using the same stats to say one isnt. It doesnt make sense. There is no context. Herbert has been sailing passes since he came into the league. Plain and simple. I thought KM having a "real" QB was going to set the league on fire. Hows that going?

Herbert has shrunk in big moments a lot in his career. Same as Dak. However he seems to get a pass because he has more talent....

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Chargers scored at least 24 points in their first four games. They got 17 last night.

The Chargers allowed 25 points per game in their first four games. Dallas scored 20.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The Chargers scored at least 24 points in their first four games. They got 17 last night.

The Chargers allowed 25 points per game in their first four games. Dallas scored 20.
This.

Exactly.

When our defense don't show up (Arizona/San Fran) we are easily defeated.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The defense has played lights out 4 of 6 games this season.

The 2 they didn't we lost easily.

This offense is ugly, boring, and not pulling their weight.
They didn't play "lights out" against the Chargers. They got lucky that Herbert was overthrowing wide open receivers, two of which were likely TDs.

They came through when they had to most, but they didn't look very good through most of the game.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
They didn't play "lights out" against the Chargers. They got lucky that Herbert was overthrowing wide open receivers, two of which were likely TDs.

They came through when they had to most, but they didn't look very good through most of the game.
They looked better than the offense.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Actually this was NOT that game. We're like sharks preying off defensive disruption, sacks, turnovers, INT's, defensive TD's. The D played well but unlike our other three wins, the offense had to EARN it. Dak to his credit, had to buy time vs a ravenous pass rush and make plays. The offense had to drive the length of the field without the aid of turnovers or playing "free" with a nice lead. The clock management at the end of the first and the 4th and 1 "tush push" attempt were terrible.
That "tush push" was awful. Our guys looked like they were holding Dak back, not shoving him forward. They really need to practice that

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I am not saying they are close talent wise. But you are using stats to justify one player being accurate while using the same stats to say one isnt. It doesnt make sense. There is no context. Herbert has been sailing passes since he came into the league. Plain and simple. I thought KM having a "real" QB was going to set the league on fire. Hows that going?

Herbert has shrunk in big moments a lot in his career. Same as Dak. However he seems to get a pass because he has more talent....
Seems like we are going in circles. I have always been very clear that stats are not what I base my opinions on. I guess I did bring them into this discussion by saying he has been historically productive. Although. in my mind. it was secondary proof of my direct observation.

I went on to say that I have watched him play a fair amount and I have not seen him be inaccurate. At least not when healthy. Last year he had a stretch with broken\bruised ribs so yeah if someone saw him play during that time period they might think he was inaccurate.

If you believe he is, we just don't see it the same way. As far as "passes" based on talent, it is probably more that Herbert is just now in his fourth season and people view him as still ascending.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well it's a really sad state for the Cowboys offense. Vs the chargers the cowboys scored less than miami, vikings, and saints. If the defense hadn't forced 5 punts, a turnover on downs, and an INT to end the game they likely lose. Was a good game, tough win, esp when not everything was going right. But they better be using the bye to work on offensive effectiveness. Maybe have BS call plays? I dunno but Mike sucks at it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Seems like he can rack up numbers, but not when it counts.

Heard on a sportstalk show the next nearest was 8, but they didn't list names.