Everything Hinges On Lights Out Defensive Play

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well, if Herbert isn't uncharacteristically off on a couple throws, are we even in the game late?
Uncharacteristically?

This has been an issue with him since he came into the league. I swear you guys make up things to prop up other players.

Proof

Reaction score
enlighten me how our D is not carrying us thus far? Lights out in each of our wins.....
They're the best unit to be clear. They were not "lights out" last night. and they were not just "not lights out" in our losses. Dak was the most important player on the field last night, the defense did their job. It's dumb, agenda driven, disingenuous nonsense on his part.

shabazz

Reaction score
Uncharacteristically?

This has been an issue with him since he came into the league. I swear you guys make up things to prop up other players.
This year Herbert has cleaned up his game a bit with 9 TDs and only 2 Ints, but I believe he still gets a lot of the benefit of the doubt because of his size, arm strength and agility for a big Qb.

However what is undeniable has been his proclivity for shrinking in the biggest moments .

ironically , I see the Chargers as the Cowboys of the AFC. Although their defenses are completely different , they are similar to us in that they both have above average rosters and can put together nice record, they are both tier 2 teams .

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
This year Herbert has cleaned up his game a bit with 9 TDs and only 2 Ints, but I believe he still gets a lot of the benefit of the doubt because of his size, arm strength and agility for a big Qb.

However what is undeniable has been his proclivity for shrinking in the biggest moments .

ironically , I see the Chargers as the Cowboys of the AFC. Although their defenses are completely different , they are similar to us in that they both have above average rosters and can put together nice record, they are both tier 2 teams .
with a patch work offensive line and bad defense, he gets no excuse. 5% er

phildadon86

Reaction score

I just hate how he is praised as some sort of God on here meanwhile has all the tools and folds under pressure.

Can we take his arm and put it on dak? LOL

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
Is he wrong? If SD puts up points like they do evey game we lose....What side of the ball is carrying us? Waiting....
Yes he is. Herbert got outplayed last night. Chargers had guys running open and missed them badly. Dak bailed us out and defense came up clutch that final drive.

shabazz

Reaction score
They're the best unit to be clear. They were not "lights out" last night. and they were not just "not lights out" in our losses. Dak was the most important player on the field last night, the defense did their job. It's dumb, agenda driven, disingenuous nonsense on his part.
I thought that the defense was exceptional in stopping the run and I also believe Dak played a very effective game in using his legs. It opened up a dimension we hadn’t been utilizing.

my ongoing concern is the penalties and other mental mistakes. I’m also aware that we don’t have a top tier roster because we have deficiencies, especially in the run game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What game did u watch last night? Dak carried us as well as the defense did. BTW, the defense got lucky a couple times because they blew coverages. We never could cover Palmer and Allen.

Proof

Reaction score
I thought that the defense was exceptional in stopping the run and I also believe Dak played a very effective game in using his legs. It opened up a dimension we hadn’t been utilizing.

my ongoing concern is the penalties and other mental mistakes. I’m also aware that we don’t have a top tier roster because we have deficiencies, especially in the run game.
Defense was great, and especially when it mattered most. It was an ugly game altogether though that we were pretty fortunate to leave with a W.

Mark

Reaction score
Six games in, the offense appears to be continuing to search for an identity. Two things stood out last night...the commitment to get Lamb more involved, and the green-light for Dak to run at will. Both were critical to the win.

shabazz

Reaction score
I just hate how he is praised as some sort of God on here meanwhile has all the tools and folds under pressure.

Can we take his arm and put it on dak? LOL
I’d take his legs too, lol. Although had some really nice runs, he’s still running with legs that have had injuries and are in their 8th season.

Some here won’t believe it but what gets me off the sofa jumping up and down is when Dak surprises the hell out of a defense and us by taking off with the ball and getting to the end zone.

how Many times have we seen Dak hand it off in the read option and although the RB was stuffed, Dak fakes running it around the end and NOBODY is following him?….and we think, “Why isnt he keeping it now and than?”

Rayman70

Reaction score
Six games in, the offense appears to be continuing to search for an identity. Two things stood out last night...the commitment to get Lamb more involved, and the green-light for Dak to run at will. Both were critical to the win.
its connected to the offensive line issues 100%. If that gets better, the identity will be clear. It takes time. Cant run if your getting flagged and have injuries. Can't pass the way u want if the QB us running for his life. It limits the play calling. We saw that last night. If we fix this, we will see better results. Tyler Smith has been getting dog walked. He better fix this., Same with Steele and Tyron. I think its because they all been banged up so much.

Cydios

Reaction score
I think the did well. If you take away the penalties, they shut down the Chargers. Was impressed with the middle lb.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I’d take his legs too, lol. Although had some really nice runs, he’s still running with legs that have had injuries and are in their 8th season.

Some here won’t believe it but what gets me off the sofa jumping up and down is when Dak surprises the hell out of a defense and us by taking off with the ball and getting to the end zone.

how Many times have we seen Dak hand it off in the read option and although the RB was stuffed, Dak fakes running it around the end and NOBODY is following him?….and we think, “Why isnt he keeping it now and than?”
Not going to lie. I said it when he ran it in last night. He doesnt even look like he runs normally anymore. That ankle was bad. Honestly. I think Jerry paid him because he felt bad.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Uncharacteristically?

I don't know what to tell you. He has been pretty darn accurate every time I've watched him. I mean he has set all time records for productivity over his first three years in the league so I'm not sure how anyone can say he's been consistently inaccurate.

He hasn't gotten a lot of help from his team but he's been a stud by any objective measure. Even though we weren't getting sacks, I do think we pressured him enough to contribute to his misses.

Put him on our team and a lot of the offensive issues goes away or are at least minimized.

shabazz

Reaction score
Not going to lie. I said it when he ran it in last night. He doesnt even look like he runs normally anymore. That ankle was bad. Honestly. I think Jerry paid him because he felt bad.
With the lack of RB productivity, Dak HAS to make up for some of it with his legs. Just like the WR corp was suspect before last season, the RB corp is suspect and hasn’t represented.

I hate to see an 8 year Qb have to run ( because of injuries) but I don’t know that there’s a better option at this point

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. He has been pretty darn accurate every time I've watched him. I mean he has set all time records for productivity over his first three years in the league so I'm not sure how anyone can say he's been consistently inaccurate.

He hasn't gotten a lot of help from his team but he's been a stud by any objective measure. Even though we weren't getting sacks, I do think we pressured him enough to contribute to his misses.

Put him on our team and a lot of the offensive issues goes away or are at least minimized.
You must watch a lot of highlights because hes been missing wide open receivers since he came into the league.

Hasnt got a lot of help from his team? Didnt Ekeler lead the league in touchdowns last season?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You must watch a lot of highlights because hes been missing wide open receivers since he came into the league.

Hasnt got a lot of help from his team? Didnt Ekeler lead the league in touchdowns last season?
Again, most productive QB in history over first three seasons.

Because Ekeler was the only weapon & he's awesome. They can't keep more than one legit receiver on the field at any one time (just like last night). Ravaged by injuries across Oline & defense. One HC already canned & another who hasn't really impressed. So yeah, I'm firm in that he hasn't gotten a lot of help.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Again, most productive QB in history over first three seasons.

Because Ekeler was the only weapon & he's awesome. They can't keep more than one legit receiver on the field at any one time (just like last night). Ravaged by injuries across Oline & defense. One HC already canned & another who hasn't really impressed. So yeah, I'm firm in that he hasn't gotten a lot of help.
I thought stats dont matter....or is that only when you speak about players on this team.

I dont care what the stats say. He has been sailing passes for years.