Twitter: Ex GM Lombardi: Tua failed 2 teams physical

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Even assuming he is healthy now, I do not think he is that good as a QB prospect in the NFL. He has good arm strength and throws a nice ball. Decision making and audibling might be a problem. At Alabama I think his first or second read had a high probability of being open. Even more so, when one factors in that teams had to stop Alabama's run first. At Alabama he was surrounded by talent 3 deep at all positions. Alabama is not a QB powerhouse and is not an innovative offensive program. Also, the QB who replaced Tua after his injury this year did not miss a beat and performed well in my opinion. If the backup performs as well as the star QB, either a) the backup QB is really, really good, or b) the star QB ain't all that, or c) the team is so talented it doesn't matter who is QB.

Tua just can't stay healthy. The hit which broke his hip was either just a freak accident or a worry that he just can't take a hit. It wasn't a particularly hard fall or hit. It also looked like he has gained weight, especially in the lower portion of his body. Might be wrong, but I don't see a QB physique the last year or so. I don't think Tua will be a scrambling QB with his injury history now. He will be a pocket passer. The NFL is going mobile at the QB position now.

We complain about Dak not using his legs enough and I doubt Tua would be a weapon in the run game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like the guy but injury is a concern. I really do not expect Dallas taking a QB early in the draft

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He’s failing physicals and people still want to draft him early. Smh....
Right?! I was thinking the same thing. if all those teams passed on him after failing physicals how can you take that chance

RS12

Reaction score
Draft him if he is there and don't look back. Keep the tag one year.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well! ........now what (LOL)

http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descript...ovailoa-fails-two-teams--physicals--ex-GM-Lom

Tua Tagovailoa fails two teams' physicals, ex-GM Lombardi says
Apr
4/9/2020 7:07:57 AM
|More

Former GM and NFL analyst Michael Lombardi says two teams have told him that Tua Tagovailoa failed their pre-draft physicals, Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post reports.

In what could either be prophetic or a smokescreen, former NFL general manager Michael Lombardi said on his podcast that two teams have flunked former Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa in their pre-draft physicals.

Hey @CATCH17 this means we should move up to 1 and take him before anyone else right?

jblaze2004

Reaction score
And speaking of Tua. Did ya'll see the wr core he had to work with. 2 of the wr's could be first round draft picks.When Is the last time that happened? A college having 2 wr's go in the first round?
Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs.

And the other WRJaylen Waddle is pretty good also.

Man he has a nice wr core. But Tua played almost perfect games.
HIs stats last year in nine starts (180 of 252, 71.4 percent completion rate, 2,840 yards, 33 TDs, three INTs).
In 2018 He played in 15 games, completing 69 percent of his passes (245 of 355) for 3,966 yards, 43 TDs and six INTS.

His career touchdown-to-interception ratio of 8:1 :eek:.

If he is there at 17 (BIG IF) he would be hard to pass on. And I am a Dak fan but with the recent contract dispute between the Cowboys and Daks agent if Tua is their I wonder if we take him or try to trade out and use Tua to drop down and gain more draft picks? (I rather stay put. Draft Tua or pick someone, unless its a very small move down and we get a lot more in value from the picks we receive).

marius

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can' trade a player who hasn't signed the tender, franchised or not...and there's no way Dak is signing before the draft.
I know that, that's part of the negotiation, negotiate first with Dak

visionary

Reaction score
We should do our due diligence

if he passes our physical and falls to 17 I’m taking him

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Teams are more worried about what he looks like in August, not March. In my opinion, he's still going top five.

DanA

Reaction score
And speaking of Tua. Did ya'll see the wr core he had to work with. 2 of the wr's could be first round draft picks.When Is the last time that happened? A college having 2 wr's go in the first round?
Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs.

And the other WRJaylen Waddle is pretty good also.

Man he has a nice wr core. But Tua played almost perfect games.
HIs stats last year in nine starts (180 of 252, 71.4 percent completion rate, 2,840 yards, 33 TDs, three INTs).
In 2018 He played in 15 games, completing 69 percent of his passes (245 of 355) for 3,966 yards, 43 TDs and six INTS.

His career touchdown-to-interception ratio of 8:1 :eek:.

If he is there at 17 (BIG IF) he would be hard to pass on. And I am a Dak fan but with the recent contract dispute between the Cowboys and Daks agent if Tua is their I wonder if we take him or try to trade out and use Tua to drop down and gain more draft picks? (I rather stay put. Draft Tua or pick someone, unless its a very small move down and we get a lot more in value from the picks we receive).

That whole team is full of freakishly talented players. It was actually Dovanta Smith who lead receiving yards and TD's. I actually really rate their right guard who will be in next years draft.

InTheZone

Reaction score
If a guy (a QB) who was being discussed as a #1 overall pick falls to you at 17 you gotta take him. Yes it's risky. But the payoff would be huge if it works out. Plus, it would give us immediate leverage with Dak.
The payoff would be huge because we could then trade Dak for more picks!!!!

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The issue isn’t just the hip. According to Lombardi he already has had a host of injuries that have caused him problems. The ankle, the hip, the wrist (twice), etc.

I suppose that I would consider the risk at 17 depending upon who else is available. Remember that Tua also had Ruggs and Jeudy as receivers.
Unless the physical results were long term bleak, he will be gone long before 17......thankfully.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Talking heads made a good point. The NFL protects the QB to a greater degree than College ball. I’ll be tempted to take him at 17.. But if it don’t work out, I reserve the right to call the FO dumb..

tyke1doe

Reaction score
People trying to give Tua's receivers all the credit, don't really know what they're talking about.
Jalen Hurt, as much as I like him, couldn't take advantage of Bama's receivers. They were frustrated because they would get open for a step, but Jalen was uncomfortable getting them the ball.
During practice, Tua was lighting things up. Putting the ball on the money. Hitting open receivers. Throwing receivers open. But because Bama seldom loss with Tua, Saban was reluctant to switch quarterbacks. But then came the National Championship Game against Georgia. And the legend of Tua was born.
Most scouts in the know recognize Tua's UNCANNY accuracy. And as soon as he started playing, people started noticing the Bama receivers. Most of those receivers, with the exception of Calvin Ridley, were already on Bama's roster with Tua. Funny how they ALL became household names when Tua became the starting quarterback.

As for the medical information about Tua, I think it's a smoke screen. First, his own physician has said he expects Tua to make a full recovery. Physicians wouldn't make such a statement public if they have any ounce of credibility and if they don't believe it's true.

Second, it's time for misinformation. I remember reading a report that Marlon Humphreys was selfish, arrogant, uncooperative, etc. That was a LIE! I know Marlon. He always stayed to himself in high school and in college, and for the most part, was an exemplary young man. He knew he had a pro future and didn't want to mess it up, like so many athletically gifted young men do. Someone was trying to get his stock to drop so they could take him. I suspect it might have been the Ravens who released that information because they made him the first Alabama player taken.

So forgive me if I take the latest information with a grain of salt. If Tua makes it to 17, you take the risk because the reward is so much greater if you hit on a once-in-a-generation talent. And behind this line, with these weapons? And Jerry likes to fully equip his quarterbacks? Pulease. Patrick Mahomes effect 2.0.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hey @CATCH17 this means we should move up to 1 and take him before anyone else right?

We should move up to get him yes.. #1 isn’t realistic but if we can get the # 1 pick in the draft then we should do that..

It’s a no brained.. We don’t have a difference maker at QB. We have a high end bus driver and too many positions on this team are taking up all the resources for him to get us over the hump with his skill level.

We need high end / Cheap QB play to win a Super Bowl like all of the other teams.. Dallas / Dak isn’t special..

He signs and we are pretty much done until he takes less, New CBA saves us, or he retires.

The goal is to win a championship. Not to have a slightly above mediocre non playmaker making the most money in the NFL.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tua would be interesting at 17 but I don't think you do that to your brand new head coach who was given a mandate to win now.
The pick could net far greater draft capital down the road but you are likely talking 2-3 years.

Tua gives you no Dak leverage this year because he isn't healthy.
He could give you leverage or an out option if you ride out the franchise tag but that's basically begging for an implosion year.
We had a lame duck staff last year and saw how that worked out...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If a guy (a QB) who was being discussed as a #1 overall pick falls to you at 17 you gotta take him. Yes it's risky. But the payoff would be huge if it works out. Plus, it would give us immediate leverage with Dak.
Not if you believe Dak is your quarterback. The Cowboys supposedly will make him the highest paid player in the NFL. Dak is 27, Tua will not be needed. Especially if he is damaged goods. That hip injury is frightening.