Twitter: Ex GM Lombardi: Tua failed 2 teams physical

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He’s failing physicals and people still want to draft him early. Smh....
If you are a Dak hater you would bring Tony Romo out of retirement if it means the Cowboys will move on from Dak. As fun as the meltdown on forum would be it will never happen. My fear is only two quarterbacks will be drafted in the top 17 and we will be screwed as Chaison, big 3 receivers, Henderson, or Kinlaw will fall.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Steetwise.

Tua's surgery was about 5 months ago. A serious injury by most accounts, but one that seemed to have a positive prognosis after the surgery. The bone and joint exam at the combine would likely determine a players ability to play now. I think the teams who have their sites on Tua, like possibly the Chargers, would love to sit him for a year, let him learn and fully heal.

I hope that the young man does not have another health issue. I see him going top 10 for sure.
Injuries would be a concern if I were thinking of drafting him. One, because of the multiple injuries he's sustained - knee sprains, ankle sprains, broken finger, and the dislocated right hip with posterior ace-tabular wall fracture. That's significant.
But on the other hand, with the technology the NFL has and if he rests a year he could be had for great value. I just don't know if he's got the build/durability.

ultron

Reaction score
I feel bad for this kid, such a humble person & well put together for a guy that’s like 21 or 22 years old.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, he’d be awfully tempting if he fell to 17. And I like Dak.
Boy he sure would.

If we can wait 2 years for Jaylon Smith?

We can just set up a Tua Can at the Star and we can all watch him rehab.

Yes?

With the way we waste draft picks like Taco and Hill..?

Affordable.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Yeah, let's draft the 1 legged gimp project at 17. Not like we have any holes to fill.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Funny but true. I mean JJ drafted Jaylon when he couldn’t even feel his own foot. Tua may not be immediately available to play due to whatever he failed for but I don’t see it as serious as Jaylon’s injury. Sit him for a year to heal up completely if he’s available in the early rounds.

There is a reason LVE was available to us as well. He had injury issues coming out of Boise.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ouch this is kind of not what you want to hear when you draft your QB.

“And he’s brittle,” Lombardi continued. “You can’t deny it. You can’t deny it.”

More from the Article:

Beyond his well chronicled hip injury.

Here are the previously reported and undisputed injuries, according to Forbes:

— Broken left index finger (March 2018; no games missed)

— Sprained right knee (October 2018; no games missed)

— Left high ankle sprain (December 2018; surgery; no games missed)

— Right high ankle sprain (October 2019; surgery; 1 game missed)

— Dislocated right hip with posterior acetabular wall fracture (November 2019; surgery; missed final 3.5 games)

But Mike Lombardi, who worked for the San Francisco 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots front offices and is plugged in among some scouts and personnel departments, recently unloaded on Tagovailoa’s injury history and reported previously unknown information about multiple broken wrists.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...injury-failed-physical/ar-BB12m0Df?li=BBnbfcL
Except for the hip injury, one could easily interpret this list as, "Tua is tough and can play through injuries"

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
this is the great opportunity to offer Dak, for example with the chargers, they need a QB, and you still have salary space, Dak + First round 2021 + Second round 2022, for Charger 6th overall pick, negotiate that 6th round for more picks For example, with the buccaneers, they need the best available tackle to protect Brady, the number 6 pick plus the second round pick, plus the fourth round pick, for the number 14 pick, with the number 14 pick selecting CJ Henderson and with the pick 17 select Xavier McKinney, if Tua falls much on the table, because he did not pass two medical exams, try to select him at the first opportunity, or select Jalen Hurts, then sign Cam Newton or James Winston for 1 year. and we are ready to rumble.
Like the thought process but that would truly be a dream scenario.

John813

Reaction score
Bingo!!!

But I still think he is gone by 17.

Yea, some team will roll the dice with Tua. Before this season he was "locked" into the #1 overall spot going back to 18 or 19.
If were picking 8th, then maybe he could of had a chance of falling to us.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let me guess, Jacksonville and a.n.other desperate team leaked thus into....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In
Well! ........now what (LOL)

http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descript...ovailoa-fails-two-teams--physicals--ex-GM-Lom

Tua Tagovailoa fails two teams' physicals, ex-GM Lombardi says
Apr
4/9/2020 7:07:57 AM
|More

Former GM and NFL analyst Michael Lombardi says two teams have told him that Tua Tagovailoa failed their pre-draft physicals, Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post reports.

In what could either be prophetic or a smokescreen, former NFL general manager Michael Lombardi said on his podcast that two teams have flunked former Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa in their pre-draft physicals.

Many players get drafted that can't "pass a physical".

In 2019, DT Jeffery Simmons could not participate in the combine or Pro Day due to recovering from a blown out ACL. Also, there was also a video of him punching a woman.

Simmons was drafted at #19.

If 100% healthy he would have been drafted before Wilkins at #13 and after Ed Oliver at #9. Split the difference and say #11. A player that could not participate in training camp and would have to start the season on IR dropped about 8 spots and the video might have caused part of that drop.

phildadon86

Reaction score
We should move up to get him yes.. #1 isn’t realistic but if we can get the # 1 pick in the draft then we should do that..

It’s a no brained.. We don’t have a difference maker at QB. We have a high end bus driver and too many positions on this team are taking up all the resources for him to get us over the hump with his skill level.

We need high end / Cheap QB play to win a Super Bowl like all of the other teams.. Dallas / Dak isn’t special..

He signs and we are pretty much done until he takes less, New CBA saves us, or he retires.

The goal is to win a championship. Not to have a slightly above mediocre non playmaker making the most money in the NFL.
Lol so bringing in a guy with question marks about health is smart to you? Above the most durable QB in the league. Yup makes sense

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Lol so bringing in a guy with question marks about health is smart to you? Above the most durable QB in the league. Yup makes sense

Yes because I want upside..

I’d rather take a risk then go with Dak and get a non difference maker.

This team has played it safe for a long time now and have nothing to show for it.

vnick

Reaction score
Tua's the real deal. Health is his only concern. Now, I don't think he's an option for us at 17, but I still think Tua overall may be the best QB in this draft.

A lot of this is likely being spread to try to get him to fall, and maybe health concerns do get him to fall. But if a team needs a QB, Tua would be my second choice behind Burrow and he will be good.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I wonder to what extent Lombardi's report is disinformation?

I also wonder when these team physicals took place since teams are not allowed to interview prospective players directly?
Lombardi is pretty well connected and tuned in. He's also very conscious of his credibility, so my guess is that with him saying this, he completely trusts that the information is correct.