Video: Ex-NFL Player Reaction: Is it right move for Dak to play out his contract?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
GOOD MORNING FOOTBALL (Recommend watching this one!)
  • Jason McCourty: Confused if it's truly a mutual decision. He'll have so many suitors though. Cowboys fans see same thing, we win a lot of games but fall short. Other fans though are photoshopping their team's jersey on Dak. (Partner asks the question -- There are good QBs, but they are not crazy good players that teams worry about. There is a well known QB you always talk about like this, but I won't name him.) I was in Cleveland when had to ask that question - the confetti test. After all these years, if I can't see the confetti falling, blow the whole thing up instead of continuing to pay all the superstars. Can this team get you to promised land? Do you want to stay middle of pack? And I picked Cowboys to win Super Bowl last year, but maybe they have to blow it up now.
  • Devin McCourty: Dak sees all these QBs who went to new teams and won. We knew it was Brady's last year when we played with him. As a player, you start to think about it. If I'm Dak, I start shooting text messages to my teammates. They may start wondering about him. I know Cowboys fans ready to move on but be careful what you wish for.

SPEAK
  • Shady: Yes. Can't win the big game. There are QBs who would die to have same talent he has had over years around him. Cowboys used to win Super Bowls.
  • James Jones: No. If Dak gets over hump, price just went way up. What is your backup plan? You have no one who will get you over the hump. I know how hard it is to find a good QB. I was blessed with Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr, but I also played with Matt Flynn, Scott Tolzien, and Seneca Wallace.
  • Acho: Yes, right move. Ample data size. 8 years. He won't get there. Jury would still be out on Brock Purdy, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Herbert, etc.

UNDISPUTED
  • Keyshawn: This is a bad idea. Smart of Jerry not to invest that much money in a QB who can't prove he can win in Playoffs. But it's a risk because he is without a doubt the top free agent available next year. He will play with a chip on his shoulder, and walk out the door. What if he goes to the Commanders? I guarantee you teams will line up to sign him. Teams are starving to get QBs who can play at that level.

GET UP
  • Dan Orlovsky: Jerry Jones is wrong. They're not "locked and loaded." They're locked only for 2024. The pressure has never been higher. My pushback is McCarthy and Prescott have not been given the support to win the SB this year.
  • Ryan Clark: Jerry Jones says "I can do bad all by myself." With Jones not equipping last year with tools though, that tells me this is last season for McCarthy and Prescott.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I’m pretty fine with Dallas moving on from dak if that’s the direction they go, it’s not what I’d do but the whole offseason hasn’t been what I’d do so maybe they should just move on. At least it would be a direction instead of playing the middle. I can respect them picking a path forward. I do think they keep him though.

That said anyone who doesn’t think dak would be incredibly sought after is just blind and has no clue how the nfl works. It takes 1 team to give him what he wants and he’ll likely have 3-4 suitors easy.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Notice all the Ex-WRs are the ones most adamant about keeping a decent QB?

Can tell who is impacted the most. Keyshawn thinking about the Quincy Carter years when he answers this question. LOL

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I could care less if Dak leaves “with a chip on his shoulder.” The fanbase has a chip on our shoulder.

Dak has been the highest paid player in franchise history— and won nothing.

Dak has played poorly in our last 3 playoff exits— and the loss against GB was the most embarrassing playoff loss in franchise history.

Yet he wants to make 60 mil per year. No. He is not worth that bag— even if another team pays it to him.

And if he does go somewhere else and win— that doesn’t wash away his failure here.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I’m pretty fine with Dallas moving on from dak if that’s the direction they go, it’s not what I’d do but the whole offseason hasn’t been what I’d do so maybe they should just move on. At least it would be a direction instead of playing the middle. I can respect them picking a path forward. I do think they keep him though.

That said anyone who doesn’t think dak would be incredibly sought after is just blind and has no clue how the nfl works. It takes 1 team to give him what he wants and he’ll likely have 3-4 suitors easy.
we know he would be sought after, it's just this notion that we have to keep him forever because who do we replace him with, like geez is there not another person that can throw a QB around on earth???

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I could care less if Dak leaves “with a chip on his shoulder.” The fanbase has a chip on our shoulder.

Dak has played poorly in our last 3 playoff exits— and the loss against GB was the most embarrassing playoff loss in franchise history.

Yet he wants to make 60 mil per year. No. He is not worth that bag— even if another team pays it to him.

And if he does go somewhere else and win— that doesn’t wash away his failure here.
Post of the morning!!!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Gb game ranks as one of the worst in nfl.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
we know he would be sought after, it's just this notion that we have to keep him forever because who do we replace him with, like geez is there not another person that can throw a QB around on earth???

Actually I think this is a pretty stupid thought process to be honest and I’ve seen the same people who bashed Romo have an affinity for him now. Dak is flawed, he’s certainly not in that great category and he needs help but I think too many here are too far removed from the days where the team had former baseball players and guys who absolutely sucked at quarterback playing for the team to realize that we’ve had it pretty damn good for 2 decades at quarterback here.

The organization has failed countless great players and dak needs to eat his share of the blame for coming up short in huge moments but I think many here are so frustrated at the teams lack of success that they have misplaced it squarely on dak and they’ll do it again with the next quarterback when the results stay the same because it’s not just a player issue it’s a management issue,

Like I said I’m fine to move on from dak if the organization decides to move in a rebuild direction, or if they feel lance could be the guy but I have no faith that they’ll rebuild, they likely tow the middle- which is worse than this now

Reaction score
It's funny how context and perspective changes everything. There are in fact a lot of teams that would love to have Dak, some of them just want to win more games and be relevant, a few of them actually have great defenses and a running game in place where Dak could make them contenders (maybe). Jerry is incapable of building a balanced team so Dak's tenure here has seemingly reached it's zenith. Dallas needs an elite QB in order to contend, some other teams might be able to do it with Dak. A smart GM could have parlayed this into a big trade worth multiple high picks.

Sandyf

Reaction score
And Jerry keeps Dalllas as a daily news item regardless of everything.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The organization has failed countless great players and dak needs to eat his share of the blame for coming up short in huge moments but I think many here are so frustrated at the teams lack of success that they have misplaced it squarely on dak and they’ll do it again with the next quarterback when the results stay the same because it’s not just a player issue it’s a management issue,
I believe some folks maintain management continually has little or no culpability concerning on-the-field success because of a narrow perspective that players play and management does not. The perspective worsens every year as Jerry Jones gets older. The assumption he is less and less involved in decision-making, while Stephen Jones is increasingly more involved in making the decisions, grows with each passing year.

Football management is the same as management in any other industry or organization. Both the most and least involved managers are accountable for overall success, failure and everything in-between because their actions and decisions influence end results. Football management is primarily responsible for creating the correct mix of efficient coaching and player talent. Hiring the wrong coach or type of coach defeats the process. The same goes for players, regardless if they are core players or make up depth.

The right management creates the correct mix that challenges or wins Super Bowls, World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cups, etc. Dallas has a management issue. It has been apparent for decades. It has always been trial-and-error, copying what this team did, reacting to what that team did not do, etc. It is poor management--the latest of which helped construct a team mix unable to break through a 12-5 regular season glass ceiling. Three years straight. A combination of coaches and players incapable of defeating a seventh seeded playoff team. At home.

Get rid of Prescott. It does not fix the underlying issue with the team. Every year, Dallas' football management automatically applies a handicap on what's seen on Sundays. Unfortunately, they are good at what they do in that regard.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah? Parcells also said you know what a QB is after three years. Yet, here we are.
Garrett was surely no Parcells. Therefore, he could not know what he had, or did not have.
MM was then stuck with him as well.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Actually I think this is a pretty stupid thought process to be honest and I’ve seen the same people who bashed Romo have an affinity for him now. Dak is flawed, he’s certainly not in that great category and he needs help but I think too many here are too far removed from the days where the team had former baseball players and guys who absolutely sucked at quarterback playing for the team to realize that we’ve had it pretty damn good for 2 decades at quarterback here.

Like I said I’m fine to move on from dak if the organization decides to move in a rebuild direction, or if they feel lance could be the guy but I have no faith that they’ll rebuild, they likely tow the middle- which is worse than this now
beautifully said sir!!!!