Video: Ex-NFL Player Reaction: Is it right move for Dak to play out his contract?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Dak has been much better than mediocre during the regular season and his numbers and wins back that up. Three losing seasons doesn't guarantee you’ll come up with a franchise QB in the draft. Mahomes is the only one who’s won a SB of the QBs you mentioned. No Cowboys fan would be happy with Justin Herbert who has a losing QB record and who helped blow a 27-0 lead in his only playoff appearance. Josh Allen has had his playoff struggles. As for the post Aikman era we drafted Quincy Carter in the second round which was our first pick in 2001. Drafting a QB in the first round doesn’t guarantee success.
Dak has been mediocre against good teams and in the playoffs. It’s why he has not been extended and likely will not be. The Cowboys used to care about consistently advancing in the playoffs to the championship games and winning SBs. The only QBs to take them there have been high picks or who would’ve been if they didn’t have a military requirement (Staubach).

And I don’t care that most of those QBs that I have listed haven’t won SBs. They all have a greater potential to win SBs than Dak and most have advanced further because they were drafted high for a reason. You probabilistically increase your chances of doing so, otherwise high draft picks and draft ratings would mean nothing. Players like Brady and Montana are anomalies.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak has been mediocre against good teams and in the playoffs. It’s why he has not been extended and likely will not be. The Cowboys used to care about consistently advancing in the playoffs to the championship games and winning SBs. The only QBs to take them there have been high picks or who would’ve been if they didn’t have a military requirement (Staubach).

And I don’t care that most of those QBs that I have listed haven’t won SBs. They all have a greater potential to win SBs than Dak and most have advanced further because they were drafted high for a reason. You probabilistically increase your chances of doing so, otherwise high draft picks and draft ratings would mean nothing.
Not going to get into another lengthy Dak debate. They don’t accomplish anything and drag on.

Bagman

Reaction score
I could care less if Dak leaves “with a chip on his shoulder.” The fanbase has a chip on our shoulder.

Dak has been the highest paid player in franchise history— and won nothing.

Dak has played poorly in our last 3 playoff exits— and the loss against GB was the most embarrassing playoff loss in franchise history.

Yet he wants to make 60 mil per year. No. He is not worth that bag— even if another team pays it to him.

And if he does go somewhere else and win— that doesn’t wash away his failure here.
Excellent post.

zeke21

Reaction score
I would love Dak to go to another team.. 0% he has success. 0. In fact it might finally help all those deluded Dak fans see exactly what a fraud he is.

Dak on any other roster would have already been exposed.. he has led a charmed life and gets credit where none is due.

Ship him, cut him.. whatever.. just get this fraud off our team.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Someone needs to inform Shady the Cowboys won SBs with loaded teams that had great running games with HOF backs and great defenses that stepped up big in the playoffs. Those teams didn’t quit.
Didn't put it in recap, but even though he supports moving on, Acho came back at Shady on that one if you watch the video. Said Dak has played 8 years, but Cowboys haven't sniffed Playoff success in 30 years. Romo had same failures. It's not all on Dak.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You’ll care how long it takes to find another capable QB after a number of bad seasons. A lot of fans will appreciate what we had in Dak when they experience what could be year after year of futility. The Jets haven’t had a viable QB since Joe Namath. KC went almost 50 years trying to replace Len Dawson. Washington has been struggling for years trying to find a franchise QB. Glad some of you don’t run the team.
If we were getting past the first (and sometimes second) games, I would agree. Not only did we flunk the first round AT HOME last year in the Tourney. But we were blown out. So it's great to have 12-5 record, but I have to agree with most of the other fans here. What is point if you aren't even competitive with a Super Bowl run? We go home every year feeling the same as the fans of the 5-12 team. They may even feel better because they have higher draft picks, unproven youth, maybe even a new coach who is trying to rebuild the team.

Replace Jerry with a new GM, and I'll reconsider everything, but we all know it isn't happening, so HC and QB are the next men up, and all we have I guess.

bandfan

Reaction score
Why you tellingme this? Never mentioned dak.
Seeing as it is a thread about Dak, and you mentioned the GB game, certain conclusions can be logically drawn. Said conclusion being that Dak was responsible for the GB fiasco. Just not so...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If we were getting past the first (and sometimes second) games, I would agree. Not only did we flunk the first round AT HOME last year in the Tourney. But we were blown out. So it's great to have 12-5 record, but I have to agree with most of the other fans here. What is point if you aren't even competitive with a Super Bowl run? We go home every year feeling the same as the fans of the 5-12 team. They may even feel better because they have higher draft picks, unproven youth, maybe even a new coach who is trying to rebuild the team.

Replace Jerry with a new GM, and I'll reconsider everything, but we all know it isn't happening, so HC and QB are the next men up, and all we have I guess.
I can assure you we don’t feel the same as the fans of a 5-12 team. I was following the Cowboys when they went 5-11 three straight seasons and it was miserable! Those seasons were in the toilet just past the midway point. You spend the last several weeks of the season just playing out the schedule. You have no hope when you’re a 5 win team. I would much rather enjoy a fun season that has some drama with a shot in the playoffs. The farther you go in the playoffs the more disappointing it is when you lose. A lot of young fans have never seen the Cowboys play in a conference title game. Those are painful loses because you almost reached the pinnacle. I can handle a one and done a lot easier than a conference title game loss or a SB loss. Anything short of a SB win will cause fans to trash Dak.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could care less if Dak leaves “with a chip on his shoulder.” The fanbase has a chip on our shoulder.

Dak has been the highest paid player in franchise history— and won nothing.

Dak has played poorly in our last 3 playoff exits— and the loss against GB was the most embarrassing playoff loss in franchise history.

Yet he wants to make 60 mil per year. No. He is not worth that bag— even if another team pays it to him.

And if he does go somewhere else and win— that doesn’t wash away his failure here.
giphy.gif

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we were getting past the first (and sometimes second) games, I would agree. Not only did we flunk the first round AT HOME last year in the Tourney. But we were blown out. So it's great to have 12-5 record, but I have to agree with most of the other fans here. What is point if you aren't even competitive with a Super Bowl run? We go home every year feeling the same as the fans of the 5-12 team.
At least we got that NFC East Division Winner baseball hat!

:laugh:

LocoBates

Reaction score
I’m pretty fine with Dallas moving on from dak if that’s the direction they go, it’s not what I’d do but the whole offseason hasn’t been what I’d do so maybe they should just move on. At least it would be a direction instead of playing the middle. I can respect them picking a path forward. I do think they keep him though.

That said anyone who doesn’t think dak would be incredibly sought after is just blind and has no clue how the nfl works. It takes 1 team to give him what he wants and he’ll likely have 3-4 suitors easy.
suitors? yes. Will he deliver? nope. What will happen is it will be the turn of another dumb Team to pay such a high amount to get garbage stats and IF things line up make it to the playoffs, just to exit the show on the first playoff game. Reset, rewind and repeat for 8 or more years until you realize you are wasting your money and time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I can assure you we don’t feel the same as the fans of a 5-12 team. I was following the Cowboys when they went 5-11 three straight seasons and it was miserable! Those seasons were in the toilet just past the midway point. You spend the last several weeks of the season just playing out the schedule. You have no hope when you’re a 5 win team. I would much rather enjoy a fun season that has some drama with a shot in the playoffs. The farther you go in the playoffs the more disappointing it is when you lose. A lot of young fans have never seen the Cowboys play in a conference title game. Those are painful loses because you almost reached the pinnacle. I can handle a one and done a lot easier than a conference title game loss or a SB loss. Anything short of a SB win will cause fans to trash Dak.
Watched every game in the 5-11 seasons. Don’t agree at all. I think it‘s more crushing to get defeated early every year in the Playoffs. What an annual tease!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Watched every game in the 5-11 seasons. Don’t agree at all. I think it‘s more crushing to get defeated early every year in the Playoffs. What an annual tease!
You have ZERO chance of reaching the SB sitting home for the playoffs. We’re obviously two very different types of fans.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You have ZERO chance of reaching the SB sitting home for the playoffs. We’re obviously two very different types of fans.
I guess dude. 5-11 or Dak as QB in the Playoffs…. The team is guaranteed to pack their bags and go home either way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I guess dude. 5-11 or Dak as QB in the Playoffs…. The team is guaranteed to pack their bags and go home either way.
There’s no guarantees of failure making the playoffs but there is a guarantee of going nowhere if you miss the playoffs. It’s impossible to accomplish anything if you’re not given a chance. You don’t want the chance, you would rather be sitting home. :rolleyes:

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
suitors? yes. Will he deliver? nope. What will happen is it will be the turn of another dumb Team to pay such a high amount to get garbage stats and IF things line up make it to the playoffs, just to exit the show on the first playoff game. Reset, rewind and repeat for 8 or more years until you realize you are wasting your money and time.

Has absolutely nothing to do with my point lol

Creeper

Reaction score
Consider who the GM is. Jerry/Jerry Jr. are not going to go out and spend a lot of money on an experienced QB to replace Dak. What would be the point of that? They will look to draft one they can pay peanuts while on his rookie deal. They found Dak in the 4th round so I suspect they will think they can do that again. This is how Jerry is thinking now. And this is why letting Dak go will wind up making Dallas a bottom dwelling team for a few years and they will probably never get better than they have been the last 3 years.