Ex-NFL scout: Why Dak Prescott doesn't change plays at the line the way ex-Cowboys QB Tony Romo did

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I tend to believe Parcells when it comes to Romos Football intelligence as he was quoted as saying Romo was one of the smartest Qb’s he’s ever coached.....so yeah Romo is superior in football acumen to Dakota.
Unfortunately for him, it amounted to very little, so what's the use?

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I tend to believe Parcells when it comes to Romos Football intelligence as he was quoted as saying Romo was one of the smartest Qb’s he’s ever coached.....so yeah Romo is superior in football acumen to Dakota.

Only a matter of time till Romo will be the Cowboys next head coach and find us a franchise quarterback
I believe you really need to think about the reality of being a top paid, #1, nearly universally lauded announcer. It is a great and satisfying job. It doesn't not require massive hours, high stress and doesn't include personal and public attacks. Why would someone with that job even think for a second that he might want to try to be a coach for the first time in his life?

Why would anyone hire a person who never even coached pee-wee football to be the head coach of the Cowboys. Why do people think that the ability to coach is the same as the ability to play the game.

Football intelligence does not equal coaching ability at all.

zerofill

Reaction score
I wouldn't be against giving him a John Elway like role. I think he'd be perfect for it.

Giving him the GM roll, might be pretty sweet... But Jerry isn't giving that up until he is dead lol. He is about the only owner I see always on the media mic. I can't remember any owner trying to be in the front of a team so much.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
It’s clear Dak doesn’t read defenses.Poor ******* looks at everything but the blitzing player.He is definitely a student of JG. Zero adjustments made throughout the game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It didn't screw up Dak. His struggles were already there.

Time Period Comp Att Yards TDs INTs Comp% YPA QB Rating
2017 Before ATL 163 259 1818 16 4 63.0 7.0 97.6
2017 After ATL 145 231 1506 6 9 63.0 6.5 74.0

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Romo had to be told to stop checking out of run plays.
You really believe that if there was a run play called and Romo saw Dez in single coverage with no safety help, he just started ignoring that in 2014, and instead handed the ball off, and that this was the key to Romo's best season?

khiladi

Reaction score
Probably a lot.

Well, he wasn’t in game-planning meetings and has little say into the game-plan until Jerry effectively banished Jason Garrett from play-calling, meaning he was just implementing the game plan, until they had to go hurry up.

So very little.. I think it was Crayton who said Garrett didn’t even have hot routes on a blitz..

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo had to be told to stop checking out of run plays.

Regurgitating the myth that was used to protect Garrett. Dude couldn’t field a running game to save his life and it was the main reason Wade wanted Dan Reeves here. Not only that, Dallas was in the bottom of the league in PLAY-ACTION usage, so Garrett had no clue how to blend a passing game with a running game.

When Kyle Orton cane in for Romo, Garrett had him throw 46 times and only ran Murray like 17 for 46 yards.

Jerry himself said it was his chosen one that didn’t run the ball in 2014 and it’s no irony the year he was banished from play-calling Dallas ran more than ever.

I’m sure Romo called the play that led to Choice fumbling against the Commanders with 4 seconds left with 70 yards to go, instead of downing it..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nd-offfensive-no-shows-and-humiliating-losses

“It certainly isn't the way Jason Garrett ran the offense in Green Bay in November, abandoning the run, going three and out all night with passes, and providing the Green Bay offense with 14 points in a 45-7 shellacking that got head coach Wade Phillipsfired.

And I'm certain that calling a pass play from your own 37 yard line with four seconds left to go before halftime and no chance of scoring is not the "Cowboy way".”

“Trailing 21-17 early in the fourth quarter to the New York Giants, Garrett abandoned the run game, and pass after pass fell short in the last quarter and a half as the Giants held on to win. Tony Romo threw 20 passes as opposed to four runs, the last one an interception in the end zone. The fourth quarter run game with Marion Barber that had made Barber a star under Parcells' leadership was gone.”

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If changing a career loser's position derails a QB's career, you really just don't have a QB.

Normally, that is just a bad Sunday.

If it lingers, not good.

Nate Newton after Atlanta: You don't let a young QB get hit like that.

Nate knew. Everyone used to know this. You don't put young QBs in no win situations.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wade has some insights into the incompetence of Garrett in his new book.

https://********.com/jerry-jones-is-a-great-guy-until-he-fires-you-1794836194

With one year left on my contract, I had my agent ask Jerry for an extension on my deal. It seemed like things were good, but they weren’t. Or at least, they weren’t good enough. The year before, when we went 9–7, the press wanted to fire me. Now here I was, with a 33–15 record and a playoff win in three seasons, and coming off an 11–5 year. I thought I’d get Jerry to extend my contract beyond the 2010 season. But he wouldn’t...

I asked Jerry about it and he said, “Well, you know, we had to keep him.”

“That just doesn’t seem right to me,” I said.

After our 9–7 season, when the offense struggled, Jerry said that maybe he should have let Jason take the Baltimore job rather than give him the big raise...

We began the 2010 season on a bad note with a 13–7 division loss to Washington. We didn’t allow a touchdown on defense. We shouldn’t have allowed the Commanders’ defense to get one either, but right before the half, Jason asked me, “You want us to go for a score or just run the half out?”

“Yeah, okay,” I said.

We ran a play and we got a ten-yard holding penalty. There were only four seconds left in the half. JASON CALLED A PASS. Tony Romo threw to our running back, Tashard Choice, who was four yards behind the line. DeAngelo Hall hit him; he fumbled; Hall picked up the ball and ran it in for a touchdown.

I didn’t know Jason was going to run a play after having a ten-yard penalty and only four seconds on the clock instead of kneeling on the ball, which was what we should have done.

But yeah, I’m sure it was Romo checking out of Garrett’s run plays...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes. The kid has a internal clock of about 2 seconds now before he panics. Screwed up green and Dak in one game. I am not sure Dak will ever be the same.

Looks like once he feels the heat, he gets focused on evading the heat instead of getting rid of the ball.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
I believe Dak has like an A) B) C) option... IF this looks bad, you have multiple choice predefined.

Where Romo, had those choices, but probably utilized a much larger playbook, outside of those. I liked watching Romo play... But, I do hold him kind of responsible for making the coaching staff look better then they were.

Because with Romo, even going 8-8 you still felt like there was a big chance he pulled something off. You were often on the edge of your seat during those games, biting your nails.

That often made it more exciting,entertaining, and frustrating all at once... But all that emotion helped the coaches keep their jobs.

Now, I almost fall asleep watching us play...

Boredom... now that can definitely be a franchise killer. Boredom is what I feel, watching Dallas's offense.

I agree. I wish I could like this more than once.

I have accepted that this is not going to be a flashy offense since Romo's departure. Romo will always be Batman to me. Batman has no superpowers like Superman but his will, intellect, and determination just made you want to root for him. Plus his foils were always awesome. I'm all nostalgic now but I digress.

I just can't stand the constant 3 and outs. They can't seem to string along any plays for more than 2 minutes. It is very frustrating to watch or root for. Dak needs to take chances. Heck, I wouldn't hold it against him if his interception ratio went up because of it. There's no one to fear on the O and I'm including Zeke. If I was an opposing team and saw Cowboys, I'm thinking easy W. Opposing defenses don't even have to be creative against us anymore. Our D is getting burned out because of the O's ineptitude. Sad.

khiladi

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...owboys-to-start-winning-with-garrett-coaching

And this was the year Wade got fired:

Jason Garrett was under fire when the season started for his starting offense doing absolutely nothing during the preseason. Nothing changed when the regular season started as the Cowboys racked up the yards in their first five games, but couldn't score...

Instead they made mistakes at crucial times, abandoned the run and tipped passes and missed blocking assignments turned into interceptions, which lead to just one win.

When Tony Romo went down with a broken collarbone the offense went from the hot girl with no brain, to the ugly girl no one pays attention to.

So what makes anyone think that Garrett will elicit a huge change? This is the guy who constantly abandons the run and forces his defense to play series after series because the offense goes three and out so much.

And by December 2013 when he kept interfering with Callahan and Jerry finally banished him from play calling:

http://www.espn.com/dallas/nfl/stor...t-lip-service-run-game-continues-fail-cowboys

The big lie at the Dallas Cowboys' Valley Ranch training complex is that coach Jason Garrett wants a balanced offense.

He doesn't. Not really.

If we look at his track record in seven seasons as an offensive coordinator and head coach, it tells us all we need to know. As long as Garrett controls the offense, the Cowboys will have a pass-first mentality.

Garrett is always quick with a plethora of excuses for why the Cowboys frequently abandon their running game, regardless of whether it's working. A sack, an incompletion or a dropped pass has never made Garrett shy away from throwing the ball.

superonyx

Reaction score
Well, he wasn’t in game-planning meetings and has little say into the game-plan until Jerry effectively banished Jason Garrett from play-calling, meaning he was just implementing the game plan, until they had to go hurry up.

So very little.. I think it was Crayton who said Garrett didn’t even have hot routes on a blitz..
Nah. I say a lot.
And since this is the internet and we are all just speculating anyway I prefer my speculative opinion.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Regurgitating the myth that was used to protect Garrett. Dude couldn’t field a running game to save his life and it was the main reason Wade wanted Dan Reeves here. Not only that, Dallas was in the bottom of the league in PLAY-ACTION usage, so Garrett had no clue how to blend a passing game with a running game.

When Kyle Orton cane in for Romo, Garrett had him throw 46 times and only ran Murray like 17 for 46 yards.

Jerry himself said it was his chosen one that didn’t run the ball in 2014 and it’s no irony the year he was banished from play-calling Dallas ran more than ever.

I’m sure Romo called the play that led to Choice fumbling against the Commanders with 4 seconds left with 70 yards to go, instead of downing it..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nd-offfensive-no-shows-and-humiliating-losses

“It certainly isn't the way Jason Garrett ran the offense in Green Bay in November, abandoning the run, going three and out all night with passes, and providing the Green Bay offense with 14 points in a 45-7 shellacking that got head coach Wade Phillipsfired.

And I'm certain that calling a pass play from your own 37 yard line with four seconds left to go before halftime and no chance of scoring is not the "Cowboy way".”

“Trailing 21-17 early in the fourth quarter to the New York Giants, Garrett abandoned the run game, and pass after pass fell short in the last quarter and a half as the Giants held on to win. Tony Romo threw 20 passes as opposed to four runs, the last one an interception in the end zone. The fourth quarter run game with Marion Barber that had made Barber a star under Parcells' leadership was gone.”
Romo continually changed out of run plays. If you are not running the ball how can you play action? Out goes Romo and in comes Dak and now we are one of the top play action teams in the NFL. Thanks for pointing that out.