Exactly how have we gotten better from last year?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'd rather wait until after the draft before I answer this question.

But so far this team will improve by getting all the injured starters back and from going back to a defensive scheme under Dan Quinn that better suits thier personnel.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Sydla

Reaction score
The interior guys they signed are replacing Crawford, and one of the no names that didn't play much. They are better than these 2 guys. I think that there is a good chance that Basham will play with his hand in the dirt like he did in college. He had some good plays in 2020. He forced 3 or 4 fumbles.

Barely better.

And wasn’t the goal to get much better since DT play was pretty brutal last year? Not many options left in FA to make significant improvements there and the draft is not a great draft for DTs, especially with DTs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Very true. I was a pre season predictor of 6-10 before a snap was ever taken, pandemic ever declared or before the first injury ever occurred.

But my eyes were truly opened last year when this forum's majority revealed how it could not grasp how meaningless end of season losses could potentially help improve the team's near future player choices in following year(s).

Countless debates arose surrounding how if the losses were motivated by the intent to lose on purpose.

The end game was trying to convince the masses that, however the losses occurred, intentional or not, could it potentially improve the team for the future from an already lost season if the proper draftees were chosen.

The responses by most to that simple scenario explained the bredth of knowledge/understanding for this message board.

But to answer the OP, I see no improvement from my last year's prediction of 6-10. But the added game makes it 6-11 this year.

only one flaw we won 6 with our 3rd string team so your prediction was moot if we have dak and half those inured payers no hurt especially OL, we go 9-7 easily..sorry but this prediction was full of holes in your prediction now holding true two straight years, LMAO just bringing back our rosters and playing mostly of the 17 games with them, would now be better not worse.so put down the drinks or the smoke and give realistic prediction not see i told you so bs given all the circumstances changed and we having 6 wins after all that says we are better team with our starters available..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Barely better.

And wasn’t the goal to get much better since DT play was pretty brutal last year? Not many options left in FA to make significant improvements there and the draft is not a great draft for DTs, especially with DTs.
Are you an NFL scout or something?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team isn't a complete team yet so it's neither better nor worse than last season's team.

There are unknowns, including 10-12 players that are not even on the team yet.

Is any team better than last year's version at this point? The only one I can make a case for is the Rams because they upgraded at QB.

We could go down the line with every team and pick better or worse and be wrong at least 25% of the time. We have disappointing and surprise teams every year based on our evaluations.

75boyz

Reaction score
only one flaw we won 6 with our 3rd string team so your prediction was moot if we have dak and half those inured payers no hurt especially OL, we go 9-7 easily..sorry but this prediction was full of holes in your prediction now holding true two straight years, LMAO just bringing back our rosters and playing mostly of the 17 games with them, would now be better not worse.so put down the drinks or the smoke and give realistic prediction not see i told you so bs given all the circumstances changed and we having 6 wins after all that says we are better team with our starters available..

You know what they say, opinions are like ******** everybody's got em.

Sydla

Reaction score
Are you an NFL scout or something?

Nah, just have some common sense. We brought in low cost guys and they typically never really make big impacts. The typically end up being depth/rotation guys at best, if they make the roster at all. Further, if you look at our recent history of free agents, especially the low cost ones, they rarely work out for us.

Frankly, I am not sure the Cowboys themselves think they will get great play out of these guys. I think they know like most smart fans, these guys are nothing but rotational guys that may or may not even make the roster, which doesn't bother them because most are making peanuts and won't be cap problems.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You know what they say, opinions are like ******** everybody's got em.
FACT your what not an opinion it was a moot prediction, now claiming you were rights leaving out facts that they played with a 3rd string roster to achieve that 6-10, so had we not , odds are we are at minimum 3 games better with ours starters,,

you want to make another sperate prediction they will be 7-10 or 6-11 go ahead but dont pound your chest on last years because when you made that prediction it had all starters available and for sure not losing dak for 11 games or using our 3rd strung oL no Jarwin and MANY defenders gone.....umm kkkkk?!

plymkr

Reaction score
Health for one. But we haven’t improved on Defense at all. They were all healthy.
Yeah our overall health on offense and especially Dak being healthy makes us better. Our defense is weak even if everyone is healthy. Our defensive starters would not be starters on other teams. Only DLaw, Diggs would be starters on a decent defense. Gregory, Jaylon, LVE, would be considered quality depth and backups. The rest of the defense would be unemployed or low on the depth chart backups.

I don't get why our FO stubbornly refuses to address the defensive personnel. If our defense has been the achilles heal of our team under Zimmer, Phillip, Marieneli (sp), and Nolan. Then maybe it's not the defensive system but the players just suck.

Seriously, how many years on this board have we discussed our defense being bad. How many defensive coordinators have we gone through? Until Jerry and company realize that our defensive players suck or the players that have talent are being misused then we're not going to get better.

75boyz

Reaction score
FACT your what not an opinion it was a moot prediction, now claiming you were rights leaving out facts that they played with a 3rd string roster to achieve that 6-10, so had we not , odds are we are at minimum 3 games better with ours starters,,

you want to make another sperate prediction they will be 7-10 or 6-11 go ahead but dont pound your chest on last years because when you made that prediction it had all starters available and for sure not losing dak for 11 games or using our 3rd strung oL no Jarwin and MANY defenders gone.....umm kkkkk?!

Again, your opinion not mine.
6-11 for this one, you be you.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Nah, just have some common sense. We brought in low cost guys and they typically never really make big impacts. The typically end up being depth/rotation guys at best, if they make the roster at all. Further, if you look at our recent history of free agents, especially the low cost ones, they rarely work out for us.

Frankly, I am not sure the Cowboys themselves think they will get great play out of these guys. I think they know like most smart fans, these guys are nothing but rotational guys that may or may not even make the roster, which doesn't bother them because most are making peanuts and won't be cap problems.
You’re in a sad place. Good bless you.