Exactly how have we gotten better from last year?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's probably a wash at DE maybe a small improvement in that Basham might a bit more upside than an older Aldon Smith at this point. But we are talking about a backup DE here so it's not like we signed him to be a starting DE.

DT is likely a wash too at this point. Woods was part of the group that just struggled last year. Watkins is just a JAG. Urban? They'll probably get more out of him than Poe considering they got nothing out of Poe. But DT as a group might be a slight upgrade when I think they needed to really upgrade the position. People will say, hey, we still have the draft but this draft isn't top heavy with elite DT prospects.

So if the draft isn't top heavy with elite DT prospects, are the ones that are available no better than what we have now? Since there are DTs based on pre-draft rankings that project to be very good, if they're not better that what we have that would mean or current crop must be pretty darn good.

I wouldn't agree with that. I do agree that the free agent pickups are a slight upgrade to what we have now, so adding even one "pretty good" DT from the draft imho would elevate our last year's lower level d-line quite a bit...

conner01

Reaction score
Health for one. But we haven’t improved on Defense at all. They were all healthy.
Getting healthy is gonna have a bigger impact than anything we can do in the draft or FA
I didn’t expect much from FA but hopefully the draft is a home run

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I understand their philosophy of not wanting to overspend but this roster needs some serious remodeling. I thought with the Dak contract out of the way, they could focus on making this roster more balanced

If anything, this team seems worse than last year
Patience Grasshopper, change doesn't happen overnight. They have several months to balance the roster. Allow them the freedom to use all of their allotted time. Also, I don't think the defense will ever get the resources spent on it that the offense does. So, true balance of the roster isn't even on the "to-do" list anyway.