Expectations of Luke Schoonmaker

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Our 2nd round pick from last year, was brought in to help block and do some other TE duties. Didn't impress last year in the time he was given. He seems to be battling injuries at times. WIth that said, what are you expecting from him this year with a crowded TE room of Ferguson, and some young undrafted guys. Will he be another 2nd round dud, or does he just need a bit of time to come around? Please give your thoughts

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An offensive-minded head coach like Mike McCarthy should be optimizing Luke Schoonmaker's receiving ability in addition to his blocking capability. My expectation is Schoonmaker eroding Jake Ferguson's 100+ receiving targets from last season. Schoonmaker caught more than half the passes thrown at him but eight catches on seventeen targets must notably improve in his sophomore season in justifying a second-round draft selection.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Ferguson is now entrenched as the star TE. Barring injury, Schoonmaker won’t be a bust, but he will never reach his potential in Dallas. He was drafted as a contingency plan, and he may well become a starter in the NFL, but it is very unlikely to be in Dallas. We will not and cannot give him playing time over Ferguson just so he gets developed. It’s no different than other good TEs who never developed under Witten but became starters for other teams. We have now added ancillary TEs, 1 may be a better receiver than Schoonmaker; another will likely be the best blocker on the team. It wouldn’t surprise me is Schoonmaker was traded during preseason if he can showcase something. Ferguson, Stephens, and Spann Ford make the team, imo.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our 2nd round pick from last year, was brought in to help block and do some other TE duties. Didn't impress last year in the time he was given. He seems to be battling injuries at times. WIth that said, what are you expecting from him this year with a crowded TE room of Ferguson, and some young undrafted guys. Will he be another 2nd round dud, or does he just need a bit of time to come around? Please give your thoughts
Who Dat????????????? :muttley:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I actually like him as a player just fine and think he can be a good, contributing player. Biggest negative so far is the injury bug. That has to end at some point.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
If Ferguson asks for to much like Shultz ...... He will step in and we wont notice the difference. Just like every other time a TE left who was not named Witten.

Creeper

Reaction score
My expectation is that Schoonmaker will not amount to anything in Dallas. Even if he possesses the ability to be a top player he will be like Martellus Bennett. As long as Ferguson plays the way he is player, Schoonmaker will never get the opportunities to become a star. Most likely his best years will be somewhere else, or he will just be a flop.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Ferguson is now entrenched as the star TE. Barring injury, Schoonmaker won’t be a bust, but he will never reach his potential in Dallas. He was drafted as a contingency plan, and he may well become a starter in the NFL, but it is very unlikely to be in Dallas. We will not and cannot give him playing time over Ferguson just so he gets developed. It’s no different than other good TEs who never developed under Witten but became starters for other teams. We have now added ancillary TEs, 1 may be a better receiver than Schoonmaker; another will likely be the best blocker on the team. It wouldn’t surprise me is Schoonmaker was traded during preseason if he can showcase something. Ferguson, Stephens, and Spann Ford make the team, imo.
am i the only one who shouts TURD FERGUSON every time he catches the ball?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Well, I understand that not everyone soars immediately. That being said, I didn't see much to get excited about. So, my expectations are pretty low.
His Biceps are larger than most people's thighs, I don't know if that means anything, but it is true.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
am i the only one who shouts TURD FERGUSON every time he catches the ball?
b11976db24263ae36f591b008fea7e0199-15-celebrity-jeopardy-feature-lede.2x.rvertical.w512.jpg

baltcowboy

Reaction score
All Schoonmaker has to do is stay healthy, block, and catch the football when it’s thrown to him. If Schoonmaker can play our 12 personnel will do wonders for our offense. Green Bay destroyed our defense with 12 personnel.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ferguson is now entrenched as the star TE. Barring injury, Schoonmaker won’t be a bust, but he will never reach his potential in Dallas.
So far he’s been a bust and is dealing with a hamstring. Yet another injury to set him further back. Last summer he was dealing with plantar fasciitis. He’s looking like another second round TE that was a mistake.