Expectations of Luke Schoonmaker

Mannix

Reaction score
Bust City....he's just another in a loooooong line of tweener TE's that we've wasted time, money, and high draft picks on.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
none, shoulda never been drafted by us, coulda gotten same player in 6th round or later that draft

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
am i the only one who shouts TURD FERGUSON every time he catches the ball?
Turd ferguson saturday night live burt reynolds GIF - Find on GIFER

ICP

Reaction score
At the end of his rookie deal he will be playing for another team or nobody

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Mr. Schoonmaker had best find a way to attain good health throughout his next season with the Cowboys.

Otherwise, he's outa here. In fact, there may be good reason to suspect that in the upcoming year, he'll be gone.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Our 2nd round pick from last year, was brought in to help block and do some other TE duties. Didn't impress last year in the time he was given. He seems to be battling injuries at times. WIth that said, what are you expecting from him this year with a crowded TE room of Ferguson, and some young undrafted guys. Will he be another 2nd round dud, or does he just need a bit of time to come around? Please give your thoughts
I expect Lukey to be a part time player, catch maybe 14 passes/season, and then fade away after his 4th year here.

There is absolutely nothing about him that stands out, especially enough to take him in the 2nd. He's the type of player you throw a 4th or 5th at hoping he'll stay healthy.

Did y'all know that in his "breakout year" at MICH he caught all of 35 passes for 418 yds? And the huge number of TD's: 3

Mind boggling. Is this another player someone decided to hype up so DALL would take him, letting better players slip? I mean, BUFF was sure happy as they were able to grab Torrence, OG, and he's been the brute of a behemoth as expected.

What in the world made us think Schooner was worth a 2nd? It makes less than zero sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
So far he’s been a bust and is dealing with a hamstring. Yet another injury to set him further back. Last summer he was dealing with plantar fasciitis. He’s looking like another second round TE that was a mistake.
Do y'all know that he is a body catcher, known for dropping passes?

Robster8989

Reaction score
Ferguson is now entrenched as the star TE. Barring injury, Schoonmaker won’t be a bust, but he will never reach his potential in Dallas. He was drafted as a contingency plan, and he may well become a starter in the NFL, but it is very unlikely to be in Dallas. We will not and cannot give him playing time over Ferguson just so he gets developed. It’s no different than other good TEs who never developed under Witten but became starters for other teams. We have now added ancillary TEs, 1 may be a better receiver than Schoonmaker; another will likely be the best blocker on the team. It wouldn’t surprise me is Schoonmaker was traded during preseason if he can showcase something. Ferguson, Stephens, and Spann Ford make the team, imo.
I doubt they trade him, but your point is well taken.
Spann Ford is a potentially great blocking TE with some receiving upside (especially in the Red Zone), and he was an UFA.
The fact we spent a 2nd rounder on Schoon (who is similar to Spann Ford) is crazy IMO.
I guess the hope is Schoon can become like a Charlie Koler type (who was a 5th round pick).
Basically a really good blocking, complimentary TE to our #1 Fergy.
Just way over drafted.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Our 2nd round pick from last year, was brought in to help block and do some other TE duties. Didn't impress last year in the time he was given. He seems to be battling injuries at times. WIth that said, what are you expecting from him this year with a crowded TE room of Ferguson, and some young undrafted guys. Will he be another 2nd round dud, or does he just need a bit of time to come around? Please give your thoughts
I expect very little. When has Dallas had to impactful TE's???

shabazz

Reaction score
Expectations and Schoonmaker are starting to sound like an oxymoron.....and that displeases me