Expectations of Luke Schoonmaker

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Our 2nd round pick from last year, was brought in to help block and do some other TE duties. Didn't impress last year in the time he was given. He seems to be battling injuries at times. WIth that said, what are you expecting from him this year with a crowded TE room of Ferguson, and some young undrafted guys. Will he be another 2nd round dud, or does he just need a bit of time to come around? Please give your thoughts
will make around 20 catches for 210 yards and 2 TDs. primarily a blocker.
he is a bust already. second year and he is dealing with another injury.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Ferguson is clearly #1 and a budding star.

Span-Ford will be the best blocking TE on the team and will score 2-3 TDs by slipping out on the goal line after blocking - 6’7”, 270.

Stevens will be an explosive TE in the passing game at 6’5”, 225 or more (Wells said he’s bigger this year. WR in a TE body.

Schoonmaker is only 25, but he’s the oldest TE on the roster, 4 months older than Ferguson. He may develop into the 2nd best all around TE behind Ferguson, but if you have a better blocker and a better, more athletic receiver, does his 2nd round contract warrant keeping him as Ferguson’s backup guy?

I think those are your 4 TEs on the active roster this season. Hendershot is gone. Fant and/or Holler land on the practice squad unless Hendershot really turns some heads. I just think it’s going to be hard for Schoonmaker to get on the field regularly if Spann-Ford and Stevens shine at what they do best.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I have very low expectations for Schoon. Ferguson uses spin moves, stiff arms, jukes and he hurdles defenders to get more yards. Tons of athleticism.
Schoon, all the way back to high school does NON of those things. He turns into Daryl Johnston when the ball is in his hands, or Witten his last 6 years. He does have some straight line speed. Low expectations, but I hope he finds some late life dexterity.

shabazz

Reaction score
Our 2nd round pick from last year, was brought in to help block and do some other TE duties. Didn't impress last year in the time he was given. He seems to be battling injuries at times. WIth that said, what are you expecting from him this year with a crowded TE room of Ferguson, and some young undrafted guys. Will he be another 2nd round dud, or does he just need a bit of time to come around? Please give your thoughts
He'll be an All Pro in year 3

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
So far he’s been a bust and is dealing with a hamstring. Yet another injury to set him further back. Last summer he was dealing with plantar fasciitis. He’s looking like another second round TE that was a mistake.
Can't call him a bust no cowboys player is allowed to be called that!! They need at least 3 plus years to even at least make a slight impression

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I have very low expectations for Schoon. Ferguson uses spin moves, stiff arms, jukes and he hurdles defenders to get more yards. Tons of athleticism.
Schoon, all the way back to high school does NON of those things. He turns into Daryl Johnston when the ball is in his hands, or Witten his last 6 years. He does have some straight line speed. Low expectations, but I hope he finds some late life dexterity.
Have you ever looked at Luke, doesn't look like a Luke, looks more like a Bill lol

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Ferguson is clearly #1 and a budding star.

Span-Ford will be the best blocking TE on the team and will score 2-3 TDs by slipping out on the goal line after blocking - 6’7”, 270.

Stevens will be an explosive TE in the passing game at 6’5”, 225 or more (Wells said he’s bigger this year. WR in a TE body.

Schoonmaker is only 25, but he’s the oldest TE on the roster, 4 months older than Ferguson. He may develop into the 2nd best all around TE behind Ferguson, but if you have a better blocker and a better, more athletic receiver, does his 2nd round contract warrant keeping him as Ferguson’s backup guy?

I think those are your 4 TEs on the active roster this season. Hendershot is gone. Fant and/or Holler land on the practice squad unless Hendershot really turns some heads. I just think it’s going to be hard for Schoonmaker to get on the field regularly if Spann-Ford and Stevens shine at what they do best.
I forgot all about Spann-Ford. That dude is a legit 6th OL for blocking, so if we're mostly envisioning Schoon as a blocker, that will put a ton of pressure on him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Schoon better keep working on his blocking so he can stay on the field as the #2 TE. Otherwise he gonna be riding the bench cause Fergy is easily our #1 TE!

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Expectations are super low.

On the high end, I would hope he'd be a piece of the puzzle in making the offense more physical, ala 2014/2016.

But I'm fully expecting less than <20 Rec, <200 yards

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
For this guy? I have zero expectations so anything he contributes is a bonus for me. But this pick still makes zero sense.