Expectations of Luke Schoonmaker

75boyz

Reaction score
Honestly, I think if the Stephens from last TC/pre-season returns to form from injury then he has a strong chance at earning the TE2 spot.

Schoonmaker as an old and always injured blocking TE in the 2nd rd still makes no sense. Huge fail.

quickccc

Reaction score
It's certainly not helping that Schoon has been out of camp with this hamstring ... yet another huddle that stuns his development and rapport with the QBs..

Skill wise, i just have to see more of him in games to know what he offers ..." Workout " numbers favors him, but does he translate those workout numbers to the actual playing field ?

Does he plays as fast as he times and drills ? Is he more athlete than he is player ?
As a rookie he was just so limited in the game plan and scheme as a receiver. Could he be far more comfortable and natural as a player in his 2nd year once the NFL speed/pace slows down for him ?

At this point, he is more blocker than receiver.
But first off .. he just has gotta stay healthy.

quickccc

Reaction score
My expectation is that Schoonmaker will not amount to anything in Dallas. Even if he possesses the ability to be a top player he will be like Martellus Bennett. As long as Ferguson plays the way he is player, Schoonmaker will never get the opportunities to become a star. Most likely his best years will be somewhere else, or he will just be a flop.
To this very day, i have not heard nor understood it myself as to why the Cowboy were not sold on Jake Ferguson after his rookie year.
Such that we had to panic looking for a new TE.

- i tend to believe the Kincaid to Dallas dratt rumors ... just as i do the Sam Laporta to Cowboys ( if he had fell down to our 2nd rd pick)

- Finally they were so paranoid that they would not get the TEs left on their board in the 3rd rd, that they " reached" for Schoon in the 2nd rd.

- We apparently did not think much of Fergy to go with him as the new starter and heir apparent to the departed Dalton Schultz.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I get the theory why they drafted him, but the use of a valuable 2nd round pick has doomed him in alot of eyes. (Another 2nd round T.E.)
Do the Jones's ever have any self awareness ???
I believe they drafted him to beef up the Oline, good blocker, meh as a receiver.
Injuries and hands of stone are not helping. If he misses time in his 2nd straight T.C. it's a bad sign for him.
I think he will play our his 4 years here and move on. Will always be 2nd or 3rd on depth chart, and will not ever be what they thought they were getting.

kskboys

Reaction score
To this very day, i have not heard nor understood it myself as to why the Cowboy were not sold on Jake Ferguson after his rookie year.
Such that we had to panic looking for a new TE.

- i tend to believe the Kincaid to Dallas dratt rumors ... just as i do the Sam Laporta to Cowboys ( if he had fell down to our 2nd rd pick)

- Finally they were so paranoid that they would not get the TEs left on their board in the 3rd rd, that they " reached" for Schoon in the 2nd rd.

- We apparently did not think much of Fergy to go with him as the new starter and heir apparent to the departed Dalton Schultz.
Now, I'm not there in TC or anything, but everything I saw from Fergie pointed toward starter quality.

kskboys

Reaction score
I get the theory why they drafted him, but the use of a valuable 2nd round pick has doomed him in alot of eyes. (Another 2nd round T.E.)
Do the Jones's ever have any self awareness ???
I believe they drafted him to beef up the Oline, good blocker, meh as a receiver.
Injuries and hands of stone are not helping. If he misses time in his 2nd straight T.C. it's a bad sign for him.
I think he will play our his 4 years here and move on. Will always be 2nd or 3rd on depth chart, and will not ever be what they thought they were getting.
So, what is the theory of why they drafted him? Poor production in college, body catcher prone to dropping passes, what are you seeing that makes him draft worthy?

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
So, what is the theory of why they drafted him? Poor production in college, body catcher prone to dropping passes, what are you seeing that makes him draft worthy?
Their theory - not mine, I believe was.
Big bodied guy at a top college Programe, run blocking was his calling in college so - stack him On the edge of the Oline to give that 6th man to help open more lanes for the run game with no Zeke. Minimal passing experience, but they probably thought he would be adequate.
So far, injury bug, not strong enough, and definitely not a pass catching TE.
This second year of injury really hurts his development - worse timing for him.
With our # 1 TE locked up with Ferguson he could/should be the complimentary TE.
Not sure if he will develop enough if his hammy prevents him in T.C.

Definitely not worth the 2nd round price tag !
How many times have we wasted picks on 2nd round TEs who don't pan out.
Like I said, believe he will play out his 4 years and move on....

kskboys

Reaction score
Their theory - not mine, I believe was.
Big bodied guy at a top college Programe, run blocking was his calling in college so - stack him On the edge of the Oline to give that 6th man to help open more lanes for the run game with no Zeke. Minimal passing experience, but they probably thought he would be adequate.
So far, injury bug, not strong enough, and definitely not a pass catching TE.
This second year of injury really hurts his development - worse timing for him.
With our # 1 TE locked up with Ferguson he could/should be the complimentary TE.
Not sure if he will develop enough if his hammy prevents him in T.C.

Definitely not worth the 2nd round price tag !
How many times have we wasted picks on 2nd round TEs who don't pan out.
Like I said, believe he will play out his 4 years and move on....
And then add in that he was graded as a 3rd/4th round talent.

If he was drafted for his blocking, that makes it even dumber. You can find blocking TE's all over rounds 4-7 and they are cheap in FA.

kskboys

Reaction score
Schoonmaker was a panic pick in the draft, much like Kelvin Joseph. They didn't get the positional player they thought they needed and reached for the next player in the same position.
Would you quit making me throw up in my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I doubt they trade him, but your point is well taken.
Spann Ford is a potentially great blocking TE with some receiving upside (especially in the Red Zone), and he was an UFA.
The fact we spent a 2nd rounder on Schoon (who is similar to Spann Ford) is crazy IMO.
I guess the hope is Schoon can become like a Charlie Koler type (who was a 5th round pick).
Basically a really good blocking, complimentary TE to our #1 Fergy.
Just way over drafted.
Big question mark on the "really good".

kskboys

Reaction score
Ferguson is now entrenched as the star TE. Barring injury, Schoonmaker won’t be a bust, but he will never reach his potential in Dallas. He was drafted as a contingency plan, and he may well become a starter in the NFL, but it is very unlikely to be in Dallas. We will not and cannot give him playing time over Ferguson just so he gets developed. It’s no different than other good TEs who never developed under Witten but became starters for other teams. We have now added ancillary TEs, 1 may be a better receiver than Schoonmaker; another will likely be the best blocker on the team. It wouldn’t surprise me is Schoonmaker was traded during preseason if he can showcase something. Ferguson, Stephens, and Spann Ford make the team, imo.
Trade him? For what?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Ferguson is clearly #1 and a budding star.

Span-Ford will be the best blocking TE on the team and will score 2-3 TDs by slipping out on the goal line after blocking - 6’7”, 270.

Stevens will be an explosive TE in the passing game at 6’5”, 225 or more (Wells said he’s bigger this year. WR in a TE body.

Schoonmaker is only 25, but he’s the oldest TE on the roster, 4 months older than Ferguson. He may develop into the 2nd best all around TE behind Ferguson, but if you have a better blocker and a better, more athletic receiver, does his 2nd round contract warrant keeping him as Ferguson’s backup guy?

I think those are your 4 TEs on the active roster this season. Hendershot is gone. Fant and/or Holler land on the practice squad unless Hendershot really turns some heads. I just think it’s going to be hard for Schoonmaker to get on the field regularly if Spann-Ford and Stevens shine at what they do best.
A+ post

My expectation: SolidTE2 or great TE3
Schoonmaker is giving opportunities for BSF, JSJ, Hendershot and Fant (yes Fant) to give the Coaches look, and time to get comfortable with those guys, at TE2.

I'm very interested to see how BSF fits in this offense, if Stephens Jr. is healthy, and is there anything to the story about Dak liking Fant. TE is going to be a good camp battle.

kskboys

Reaction score
A+ post

My expectation: SolidTE2 or great TE3
Schoonmaker is giving opportunities for BSF, JSJ, Hendershot and Fant (yes Fant) to give the Coaches look, and time to get comfortable with those guys, at TE2.

I'm very interested to see how BSF fits in this offense, if Stephens Jr. is healthy, and is there anything to the story about Dak liking Fant. TE is going to be a good camp battle.
Maybe we can let Fant go back to playing RB!!! We need one of those!!!

He ran for 5 TDs on 6 carries in college, and also threw for a TD.

Too bad he's a tweener. Doesn't have the greatest hands.