Twitter: Extension Elliott looking for would exceed Gurley's 4yr $57.5 million deal

uvaballa

Reaction score
With two years left on his deal I’d wait. Let’s see how the offense looks without him before freaking out. If they suck then they’ll have to pay him big bucks.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He plays a physical sport that takes a toll on his body over the years. Never understood why demanding that you be paid commensurate with what you are putting out is somehow greedy. Would you for instance go work in a dangerous job for minimum wage?
Every player who plays in the NFL plays in a physical sport that takes a toll on their body. Zeke is no different.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Every player who plays in the NFL plays in a physical sport that takes a toll on their body. Zeke is no different.

I agree, but again, how it is greed when he demands that he be paid for his output? Or are we going to ignore that the last few years this guy hasn't been a cornerstone of this team?

CWR

Reaction score
With two years left on his deal I’d wait. Let’s see how the offense looks without him before freaking out. If they suck then they’ll have to pay him big bucks.

That's the smart play, except we start off the year soft. If we managed to blow those games it would be tough to salvage the season. Although one could argue if we cant win those games without Zeke then we weren't going to do anything this year anyway.

I think it was @Jeffkills who advocated if we dont sign Zeke prior to the season then we should wait on Dak as well. Lets see what Dak can do without his star RB. The offensive line is in order this time around so we should have a pretty accurate idea of both thier values after it plays out.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree, but again, how it is greed when he demands that he be paid for his output? Or are we going to ignore that the last few years this guy hasn't been a cornerstone of this team?
He has been a cornerstone, but where was Zeke when the team needed him the most during the playoffs at the Rams? 4th and 1 early in the 4th quarter at the Rams 30 yard line. If you get the 1st down, Cowboys likely tie the score, gain momentum and have a good chance to pull out a victory. They give Zeke the ball. What does he do? Goes in with his head down, hesitantly, right into his linemens' backs and gets tackled for a loss.

20 carries, only 47 yards and a 2.3 yards per carry average with 1 TD.

Sorry but you don't pay top overall RB pay for that kind of performance when it matters most in the playoffs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This stuff is exactly as expected.
Of course Zeke wants to be the highest paid.
Of course DAL doesn't wanna hand out the highest contract ever awarded a RB 2 years before his deal is up.

None of this is surprising.

The only surprise is Zeke chose to do this year rather than next when he'd have more leverage when he'd have had 4 years in and would be an URFA if he sat out, be it 4 or 16 games.
Now that he chose this year he is out of good options. It's sit for good or play for whatever they are offering because there's essentially no cap relief for trading or cutting him and he has to get one more full season accrual to make FA and the big money.

All that said if DAL is offering between Bell and Gurley money and he wants just over Gurley money that is a very small gap.
13.1M vs 14.3M
1.2M per year....This is wayyyy less serious than people pretend.
Same as it was with DLaw.

These parties are battling but 90% of the way there.

Jipper

Reaction score
This stuff is exactly as expected.
Of course Zeke wants to be the highest paid.
Of course DAL doesn't wanna hand out the highest contract ever awarded a RB 2 years before his deal is up.

None of this is surprising.

The only surprise is Zeke chose to do this year rather than next when he'd have more leverage when he'd have had 4 years in and would be an URFA if he sat out, be it 4 or 16 games.
Now that he chose this year he is out of good options. It's sit for good or play for whatever they are offering because there's essentially no cap relief for trading or cutting him and he has to get one more full season accrual to make FA and the big money.

All that said if DAL is offering between Bell and Gurley money and he wants just over Gurley money that is a very small gap.
13.1M vs 14.3M
1.2M per year....This is wayyyy less serious than people pretend.
Same as it was with DLaw.

These parties are battling but 90% of the way there.

The guarantees are different....10 mill differnt....thats the bigger issue

Gurley
  • 4 years, $57.5 million ($14.4M per year)
  • Max value: $60 million
  • Guarantees: $45 million
  • Signing bonus: $21 million
Bell
  • 4 years, $52.5 million ($13.1M per year)
  • Max value: $61 million
  • Guarantees: $35 million
  • Signing bonus: TBD

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We'll stick with Tony Pollard. Or 50 other RBs who who will give their all. For cheap.
You are a legend in your own mind, Zeke. You'll be 2nd string in 3 years.

Wrong, never mentioned being a legend, but outperformed counterpart. I wonder why fans have a problem with some players asking for fair value, while others are lauded for being paid.

uvaballa

Reaction score
That's the smart play, except we start off the year soft. If we managed to blow those games it would be tough to salvage the season. Although one could argue if we cant win those games without Zeke then we weren't going to do anything this year anyway.

I think it was @Jeffkills who advocated if we dont sign Zeke prior to the season then we should wait on Dak as well. Lets see what Dak can do without his star RB. The offensive line is in order this time around so we should have a pretty accurate idea of both thier values after it plays out.

It’s ok to wait on signing Dkmak too. But I think the Cowboys want to sign one of the three to count towards this year’s salary cap.

If they can’t beat the Giants or Skins without Zeke then they aren’t real contenders. They’ve won games without Zeke so I think they’ll be ok against the bottom feeders.

Reactions: CWR

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

That'd mean our improved OL is way overated, and Pollard/Weber are beyond bad, not to mention Moore's playcalling.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
5 for 75, give him 40 million fully guaranteed and backload the non-guarantees so you can release him after 3 seasons if you need to. Extend him otherwise to reduce the cap hit by then and release him by 30. Piece of cake.

4 yrs 60-70 million

2019/20 base added to the bonus

New base will be 9 million per year.

Cap hit will be 17 per.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The guarantees are different....10 mill differnt....thats the bigger issue

Gurley
  • 4 years, $57.5 million ($14.4M per year)
  • Max value: $60 million
  • Guarantees: $45 million
  • Signing bonus: $21 million
Bell
  • 4 years, $52.5 million ($13.1M per year)
  • Max value: $61 million
  • Guarantees: $35 million
  • Signing bonus: TBD
That is a nothing difference.
5M spread over 4 years with 10M in total money is small potatoes.

Had DAL been offering Zeke 4 for 40 and he wanted 4 for 60 there'd be a real issue where they weren't likely to meet.
Can DAL go to 5 years 58M? Yes.
Will they do that plus guarantee 45M? No.
But the margins are small and very workable.
Do you think Zeke is committed to skipping an entire season over 1M per year or 10M in GTD? I sure don't.
Do I think he'd sit a game or two for that? That is very possible, yes. --But he'd be gambling one of the kids didn't Dak Prescott to Tony Romo him behind this beastly OL, lol.

Jipper

Reaction score
That is a nothing difference.
5M spread over 4 years with 10M in total money is small potatoes.

Had DAL been offering Zeke 4 for 40 and he wanted 4 for 60 there'd be a real issue where they weren't likely to meet.
Can DAL go to 5 years 58M? Yes.
Will they do that plus guarantee 45M? No.
But the margins are small and very workable.
Do you think Zeke is committed to skipping an entire season over 1M per year or 10M in GTD? I sure don't.
Do I think he'd sit a game or two for that? That is very possible, yes. --But he'd be gambling one of the kids didn't Dak Prescott to Tony Romo him behind this beastly OL, lol.

It’s not a nothing difference or it would be done. 10 mil In guarantees difference is significant

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It is in bad taste to run the guy into the ground and he does every thing on the field you ask of him and now he wants to be compensated and they want to play hard ball. They should’ve done a better job of limiting his carries if this is the route they want to take.