Twitter: Ezekiel Elliott (47-yard run) 20.66 mph top speed

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dude if I'm not mistaken Bob Hayes was clocked at like 28 mph at his peak during his world record run. I don't know if the top guys have run faster since then but I vividly remember reading the Guinness Book or World Records as a kid and being amazed that a human being could run that fast!!
did a search on startpage
So far, the fastest anyone has run is about 27½ miles per hour, a speed reached (briefly) by sprinter Usain Bolt just after the midpoint of his world-record 100-meter dash in 2009.
This speed limit probably is not imposed by the strength of our bones and tendons. Rather, a 2010 study suggested that the limit comes from our bipedal stride, in particular how quickly we can rearrange our legs while still leaving time to push off from the ground.

Peter G. Weyand, a biomechanics researcher and physiologist at Southern Methodist University and one of the authors of the 2010 study, said that our running speed is limited because we are in the air for most of our stride. During the brief moments that our feet are touching the ground, we have to exert a lot of force.
they also say longer legs help with speed. less steps needed.

This guy was in shorts and on a track, so a nfl player with the weight of his pads and uniform etc, and on turf, is not going to run as fast as a track guy.
So I guess a really fast nfl guy might get up to 24-25 mph.

One thing though the faster you run the less force exerted with each step, which makes you even faster.
and this is all straight line no turning or cutting.

I think more often being "Quick" is better than some top speed.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
did a search on startpage
So far, the fastest anyone has run is about 27½ miles per hour, a speed reached (briefly) by sprinter Usain Bolt just after the midpoint of his world-record 100-meter dash in 2009.
This speed limit probably is not imposed by the strength of our bones and tendons. Rather, a 2010 study suggested that the limit comes from our bipedal stride, in particular how quickly we can rearrange our legs while still leaving time to push off from the ground.

Peter G. Weyand, a biomechanics researcher and physiologist at Southern Methodist University and one of the authors of the 2010 study, said that our running speed is limited because we are in the air for most of our stride. During the brief moments that our feet are touching the ground, we have to exert a lot of force.
they also say longer legs help with speed. less steps needed.

This guy was in shorts and on a track, so a nfl player with the weight of his pads and uniform etc, and on turf, is not going to run as fast as a track guy.
So I guess a really fast nfl guy might get up to 24-25 mph.

One thing though the faster you run the less force exerted with each step, which makes you even faster.
and this is all straight line no turning or cutting.

I think more often being "Quick" is better than some top speed.

In football it is absolutely the case that quickness is superior to great top end speed. Not that a guy can't have both but if you only have one, quickness is the better of the two. I don't put much stock in any "study" declaring what our physical limits are as far as speed.. The fact of the matter is human beings are getting bigger, stronger and faster with each generation. Plus there was a time when "scientists" thought humans could not run the mile in under 4 minutes.. which we now know that high school guys can do in the right conditions. We will see most of those "limits" exceeded in our lifetimes.. Bank on it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
he ran track somewhere, maybe HS?
I heard someone say he ran the hurdles, and was good at that .

Zeke won four events at the Missouri high school state championships.. 100, 200, 110 hurdles and 300 hurdles.. He was never a "world class" speedster.., but he's plenty fast enough..

RaZon

Reaction score
Zeke won four events at the Missouri high school state championships.. 100, 200, 110 hurdles and 300 hurdles.. He was never a "world class" speedster.., but he's plenty fast enough..

A defense might have a couple corners who can run with a speedy RB so they don't need GREAT speed, good speed will work.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
A defense might have a couple corners who can run with a speedy RB so they don't need GREAT speed, good speed will work.

Oh I expect that just about every team in the NFL has at least two corners and one safety who can run sub 4.5. And most teams have at least one who can run sub 4.4. The list of running backs who can outrun them is extremely short.. You can probably count them on one hand and have fingers leftover.

RaZon

Reaction score
Oh I expect that just about every team in the NFL has at least two corners and one safety who can run sub 4.5. And most teams have at least one who can run sub 4.4. The list of running backs who can outrun them is extremely short.. You can probably count them on one hand and have fingers leftover.

Yes cornerbacks can run with RB's, very few safeties can, then there are 8ish out there who can't.

There are far less stud NCAA sprinters who were cornerbacks than RB's.

Who is a stud sprinting safety?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yes cornerbacks can run with RB's, very few safeties can, then there are 8ish out there who can't.

There are far less stud NCAA sprinters who were cornerbacks than RB's.

Who is a stud sprinting safety?

There are precious few of them.. They don't make the kind of money corners and receivers make.. So if I run 4.3 I am going to try out for the position that pays up to 20 million a year to catch the ball and if I can't catch I will try out for the position that pays up to 15 million a year. I'm not going to just automatically gravitate to the position that pays half that and asks me to take on tight ends, running backs and other huge people coming at me at full speed.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Statistical threads are great because idiots with agendas will still push their agendas, while ignoring the facts, and gleefully expose themselves.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There are precious few of them.. They don't make the kind of money corners and receivers make.. So if I run 4.3 I am going to try out for the position that pays up to 20 million a year to catch the ball and if I can't catch I will try out for the position that pays up to 15 million a year. I'm not going to just automatically gravitate to the position that pays half that and asks me to take on tight ends, running backs and other huge people coming at me at full speed.

The safeties who transformed defenses are the 4.3 guys.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Again, we need to use the 2 RB set and when we do it produces results.

No need to overdue it every down but I think on 2nd and or 3rd downs it’s a great option. Can run and pass out of it.

I prefer it on 1st and 2nd, when we can open the whole playbook unconstrained by needing to convert. Pollard is clearly one of our top 5 skill guys and should be on the field.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Zeke is fast enough and a Bulldozer at the same time that is a great combination and he never hit top speed on that run he had to change direction a time or 2

Mr_437

Reaction score
Hey 20.66 is closer to 21mph...Zeke getting warmed up. Glad to see him out there ballin again.

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
I sorta mentioned this in another thread. No shame in not being able to out run a DB (especially J. Chinn). Most have them have the speed to go stride for stride with WR's.