Ezekiel Elliott: Evaluators Question If Cowboys RB More Of A 2nd-Tier Guy

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Resorting to childish name calling I see. Typically people who lack any ability to debate as an adult with acute intellect resort to that so wear that patch proudly.

I agree. Name calling shouldnt be tolerated.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Zeke is still better than Pollard overall. However there are times when Pollard 100% earns more touches. Like when he broke off a 40 yard run and then they never gave him the ball again in that game. The coaches need to do a better job of feeding the hot hand that day and that goes for all of the skill players.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is still better than Pollard overall. However there are times when Pollard 100% earns more touches. Like when he broke off a 40 yard run and then they never gave him the ball again in that game. The coaches need to do a better job of feeding the hot hand that day and that goes for all of the skill players.

He had minimal gains all game long until that run. But he does need more touches and worked in the game plan. Get him into the open field, is where he is more dangerous.
Breaking tackles his not his forte. But Zeke can break tackles, run over them, leap over them, and still has some moves to avoid them. Though Pollard is more quick and shifty.
I think they stopped giving him the all, and put Dowdle in, because the game was in hand.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You all do know Zeke played last year with a sore / strained hamstring, and when that was mostly healed he played with a calf injury.

But go ahead and hate all you want. We seem to have these threads 5 times a day.
We have such hater fans, probably the worse fan base in sports. Unless this place just draws in the haters and trolls.

I realize Zeke has not been Zeke from his rookie year, and there can be excuses, and there may not be many excuses either. But last year was an odd injury filled year for the entire team.
2019 Zeke came in out of shape and slow from his hold out, that is on him. So I will see how dedicated he is this year since there are good reports of that.

By now it should be overly obvious that Zeke's great year in 2016 was directly related to the quality of the Oline more so than Zeke's skills. We can see quite plainly that as the Oline health and talent has deteriorated, so has Zeke's seasons.

This is a text book example of why you don't draft a RB high. Better to spend draft a capital and salary cap space on the line, not the back.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Better at what exactly? Only thing I have Zeke better at is durability and toughness. Blocking? Problem is we dont need durability from Zeke anymore. We have Pollard that he should be splitting carries with on more of a RB by committee.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He had minimal gains all game long until that run. But he does need more touches and worked in the game plan. Get him into the open field, is where he is more dangerous.
Breaking tackles his not his forte. But Zeke can break tackles, run over them, leap over them, and still has some moves to avoid them. Though Pollard is more quick and shifty.
I think they stopped giving him the all, and put Dowdle in, because the game was in hand.

Sorry, Zeke does not break tackles better than Pollard. That is a common mistake.

Where are Zeke's moves to avoid them? Zeke is a plodding volume back. Pollard is much more effective with the ball in his hands. In THIS type of spread offense, Pollard's skills are better suited.

ESisback

Reaction score
He has definitely earned the right to be questioned. With last season figuring heavily into my opinion, right now he is a second tier back, on a first tier contract, garnering first tier hate. But I think he's in a good position to redeem himself this season, with a better supporting cast, better physical shape and a more focused mental approach. Even in a passing league we need him to be the force that he once was. I'm hoping for the best.
I believe he will rush for over 1300 in 2021, and double his TDs.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

that is where he needs to get better and why zeke is better overall. But after that 40 yard run you know a defense would 100% be keeping an extra eye on him so it doesn't happen again. And i'm not suggesting he get 20 carries but maybe bump him to 10-12 on good days.

pgreptom

Reaction score
Wow, 1200 yards in 17 games! That there is Ring of Honor production. :)

I really think his careers will be 275-300, especially with the 17th game added.
Wow...........1200 yards on 300 carries? That sucks actually. WE dont need ONE back to take all 300 carries. There is probably about 100 backs or more in the NFL that could average 4 yards per carry in this offense behind our line. Perfectly fine with a RB by committee and going with the hot hand.

I mean I don't necessarily disagree but it is what it is.

That's what this offense will be. Pass first. Dak will be closer to 5k yards. Zeke is simply paid too much to not get the bulk of the carries. 15 carries a game * 17 ... It's about 15 carries a game and that's the range they'll be near I think. If we're up big he may get more.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I really think his careers will be 275-300, especially with the 17th game added.

I mean I don't necessarily disagree but it is what it is.

That's what this offense will be. Pass first. Dak will be closer to 5k yards. Zeke is simply paid too much to not get the bulk of the carries. 15 carries a game * 17 ... It's about 15 carries a game and that's the range they'll be near I think. If we're up big he may get more.

I am hoping the carries get close to 50/50 this year. I would be happy with 60/40 with Pollard getting the bulk of the passes.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
With only 7 runs of 20 plus yards in 2 seasons, YES.

No excuse "he didn't have Dak".

No excuse "Dallas can't make the playoffs unless Zeke rushes for 1,000 plus".

No excuse "he didn't have a good offensive line".

"Elliott rushed for a career-low 979 yards and six touchdowns (tied for his career low) in 2020, posting a long run of just 31 yards.

"Backup Tony Pollard was in many respects the more effective running back last season, especially when it came to big bursts out of the backfield.

He had four carries of 20-plus yards in 2020 last season in 101 carries versus three for Elliott in 244 carries."

https://syndication-bleacherreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10006862-ezekiel-elliott-rumors-evaluators-question-if-cowboys-rb-more-of-a-2nd-tier-guy.amp.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM=#amp_tf=From %1$s&aoh=16253178433147&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com
Used with Pollard as a one two punch
I think our running game can dominate

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
that is where he needs to get better and why zeke is better overall. But after that 40 yard run you know a defense would 100% be keeping an extra eye on him so it doesn't happen again. And i'm not suggesting he get 20 carries but maybe bump him to 10-12 on good days.

It wouldnt happen again because teams would be keeping eye on him? Are you suggesting that they had their eyes closed? Pollard has had several long runs and in most of them he is breaking multiple tackles and running through people.

terra

Reaction score
It wouldnt happen again because teams would be keeping eye on him? Are you suggesting that they had their eyes closed? Pollard has had several long runs and in most of them he is breaking multiple tackles and running through people.
Your idol is Troy Hambrick, right?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He didn't start out that way but his regression is fast-becoming second tier. Just another reason not to spend a top 4 pick on a RB in the pass-happy NFL.

I say that as someone who went to Ohio State, so I was rooting for this kid before many here even heard of him. Disappointed with the recent seasons.

Me too. I was hoping the Cowboys would pick him.
But I am severely disappointed in him and now agree that unless it's an Adrian Peterson-, Eric Dickerson-, Bo Jackson-type back, don't take one in the upper rounds of the first round.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, Zeke does not break tackles better than Pollard. That is a common mistake.

Where are Zeke's moves to avoid them? Zeke is a plodding volume back. Pollard is much more effective with the ball in his hands. In THIS type of spread offense, Pollard's skills are better suited.

Disagree and I will leave it at that. Nothing else can be said. We will just disagree on this. Neither one of us will be able to convince each other the other way. :laugh:

terra

Reaction score
Me too. I was hoping the Cowboys would pick him.
But I am severely disappointed in him and now agree that unless it's an Adrian Peterson-, Eric Dickerson-, Bo Jackson-type back, don't take one in the upper rounds of the first round.
Did ANY of them ever get a ring?