Ezekiel Elliott, how many yards do we really need from him

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Whirlwin, Jun 16, 2021.

1. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

3,928 Messages
    5,340 Likes Received
    The reason it seems like a lifetime ago is that it never happened. The Cowboys lost their first playoff game that year to the Packers.. Memory is the second thing to go they say..

As several folks have already stated.. It's not "how many yards" he gets but "how and when he gets them" that will determine Zeke's effectiveness. 1500 "empty calorie" yards benefit no one. 1200 tough yards with a high first down conversion rate and a good performance in the red zone is how it should be measured.

NotForLong likes this.
  2. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

32,612 Messages
    23,086 Likes Received
    Rushing yards do not correlate to winning so I don't really care how many yards he gets. Attempts, catches, air yards, and TD do count.

If we are seeing 25+ attempts from our RB then we are probably winning. From our backs I want to see 400 carries. Improvement in scores and the passing game are what is more causative.

Whirlwin likes this.
  3. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

28,784 Messages
    27,686 Likes Received
    Wouldn't defenses realize that you're saving your running back only for the Red Zone and adjust?

4. AyeAtey

AyeAtey Active Member

163 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    Whatever it takes to get that first down or better yet, the TD.

5. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

3,928 Messages
    5,340 Likes Received
    Adjust how? Drop 8 into coverage and let Dak audible to a run against a 3 man front? It's the classic example of why it's key to be good at both the run and the pass and have a QB and OC capable of exploiting whichever aspect of the defense is vulnerable given the alignment and situation. If you have that then the defense can never be "right." Their only chance is for the offense to make a mistake. Obviously in most cases the offenses do just that. Penalty, dropped pass, poor throw, missed block.. any of which can blow up a perfectly called play .. But if everybody does their job the play succeeds, you move the chains. There is no defense which can defend the entire 100x53 yard space. They can only hope that they can rush the QB into a mistake or beat your line up to disrupt a run play.. or jam the receiver to disrupt the route. Or just fool the QB into making the wrong audible and running a play that has no chance against the current defense.

6. DandyDon52

DandyDon52 Well-Known Member

14,790 Messages
    9,880 Likes Received
    That confirms kellen is a passing OC, he doesnt understand or value the run game. He was a passing qb, so it is influencing him as a OC.
    Sadly the jones boys like pass plays so they extend kellen and pay dak elite money.
    part of this comes from fans and media , back in 2016 going on about how dak couldnt pass for 200 yds a game, and later it was 300 yds per game.
    People said elliot was carrying dak and the team lol. So now dak is doing 4-500 yds per game and they lose, but everyone loves those stats,
    and the pass plays.
    exactly, and now if we could only tell this to kellen and the jones boys .

7. zerofill

zerofill Well-Known Member

3,657 Messages
    5,490 Likes Received
    With the receiver group we have, including the RBs... it seems we have been molded into a pass first team. Whether we can actually do that or not, remains to be seen lol.

DandyDon52 likes this.
  8. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

10,104 Messages
    12,034 Likes Received
    If we can get back to where Elliott carries this team, I promise all of you we are in great shape.

Control the ball, the clock and the game.

Thomas82 likes this.
  9. Rockport

28,784 Messages
    27,686 Likes Received
    You missed my point.

10. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

14,035 Messages
    8,557 Likes Received
    Not if we’re spreading the ball around properly . And what are they going to adjust. Stopping to in the. And what are they going to adjust. They’re stopping the run as it is.

11. Whirlwin

14,035 Messages
    8,557 Likes Received
    I never said they were all Elliot running for the ED yards. But he’s in on every single play of the 80 yards. Are you getting old

12. Whirlwin

14,035 Messages
    8,557 Likes Received
    No burden of evidence is what you see during the game. No we do not hit the middle of the field maybe one pass play per game if that.

13. Rockport

28,784 Messages
    27,686 Likes Received
    Of course but the person who I was responding to said save Zeke until the red zone and then keep pounding him away.

Whirlwin likes this.
  14. Whirlwin

14,035 Messages
    8,557 Likes Received
    There’s like four dots in the middle of the field. That were completedDownfield. No 5 yard line

NotForLong likes this.
  15. Whirlwin

14,035 Messages
    8,557 Likes Received
    No I think we need more balanced than that You forget we have another running back on the team

16. Whirlwin

14,035 Messages
    8,557 Likes Received
    It’s only 40 more yards than I predict. Whether it’s very good or not . Only matters if it turns into points. I’m looking for balance that’s my point

DandyDon52 likes this.
  17. blueblood70

blueblood70 Benched

19,512 Messages
    14,074 Likes Received
    apparently neither do empty calorie passing yards, receiving yards etc etc how about instead of trying late game comebacks, we get up early, not turning it over is good start, limit getting behind the chains etc then the run game can be more effective...

works both ways whatever they say about Zeke can be said about Dak...yards dont lead to wins quality scores and playing with leads and not shooting yourself in the foot would be nice..

Thomas82 and Whirlwin like this.
  18. blueblood70

blueblood70 Benched

19,512 Messages
    14,074 Likes Received
    apparently neither do empty calorie passing yards, receiving yards etc etc how about instead of trying late game comebacks, we get up early, not turning it over is good start, limit getting behind the chains etc then the run game can be more effective...

works both ways whatever they say about Zeke can be said about Dak...yards dont lead to wins quality scores and playing with leads and not shooting yourself in the foot would be nice..

RonnieT24 likes this.
  19. Whirlwin

14,035 Messages
    8,557 Likes Received
    Thanks for the clarification but I Thought I was talking to someone else. I think he’s getting old and doesn’t understand what’s happening LOL

Rockport likes this.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

32,612 Messages
    23,086 Likes Received
    Apparently nothing. This is not a simple system with a single input. Defense plays a part too ie how many rushing attemtps passing yards and such we give up.

Scoring 30 ppg is top 5 point production. You still end up losing more than you win when you give up 35 ppg or worst in the league.