News: Ezekiel Elliott's Lawyer: Alleged Dog Attack Victim Was Trespassing on Property

Kwyn

Reaction score
So she first tried to settle out of court, but Zeke wasn't interested. That's gotta give you pause, and make you think that maybe, just maybe he's not the one who was negligent.
Or maybe Zeke is the kind of guy who avoids problems he doesn’t want to deal with, ignores phone calls and texts and doesn’t bother to read his mail.

Seems consistent with his repeated inability to behave as a responsible person.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Or maybe Zeke is the kind of guy who avoids problems he doesn’t want to deal with, ignores phone calls and texts and doesn’t bother to read his mail.

Seems consistent with his repeated inability to behave as a responsible person.
I suppose that's possible, but probably not true for his lawyer.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Unless she was there to commit a crime or broke in, no court is going to rule she trespassed while she was employed by the property's owner.

The employer can give specific instructions and can fire the employee if those instructions are not followed, but they cannot use trespassing as a defense unless a crime was committed or was in the act of being committed.

I think the attorney is using "trespassing" to say she was negligent in showing up unannounced, contributing to her own misfortune. You know the guy has dogs - she worked there after all - so she can't expect the dogs to be restrained if he doesn't know you're coming.

This will most likely be settled out of court.

cern

Reaction score
I guess I do not understand this.

Was the pool cleaner not the regular person?

There must have been a previous time the pool was cleaned by the company.

How was it handled then?

What was different this time to prompt an attack?

Where there any instructions verbal written or implied that set the basis for the entrance to the property.?

Was a phone call or doorbell ring required to come in?

Were there video cameras on the property to see what was done?

The best defense for Zeke is posting signage "Beware of Dog". Then he would be covered.
Just add this to the long list of things you don't understand. :):):). Jk, of course.

cern

Reaction score
I think I know where the breakdown is...there are two types of trespassing...one civil (an intentional tort) and one criminal.

We are in the civil realm...this is a civil claim against Zeke...therefore the civil definition of trespassing applies. The civil definition of trespassing is: Texas law recognizes a cause of action for trespass to real property. Trespass to real property is an unauthorized entry upon the land of another, and may occur when one enters, or causes something to enter, another's property.

Therefore, this boils down to civil intent (i.e. did she want or desire or of her own free will) to enter the property? The answer is of course she did...unless she argues that she was somehow pushed onto Zeke's property...in every intentional tort cause of action you MUST prove intent...the next element is authorization. And that is where the fight is going to be...Zeke will argue (and win if true) that this lady showed up at either the wrong time and/or wrong day and/or did not provide (per her own company's policy) a sufficient notice to him that she would be entering his land.

So all this talk about how she was only there to clean the pool and not to rob him or not for criminal purposes or this or that is irrelevant to CIVIL TORT...that is the reason why if I decide to make a u-turn in your drive way...yes...you can sue me for the tort of trespassing (but unless you can prove actual damages then the best you would get is nominal damages of $1.00 -- but yes you can sue someone for doing a u-turn on your property). I met all the elements of civil trespassing: intent and lack of authorization...who cares what my motive (reason) is or whether it was even criminal.

It is also irrelevant if she was previously the one who cleaned the pool or if the last time she cleaned the pool she came at the wrong time or the wrong date. The only thing that matters, per Texas law, is intent and lack of authorization on that date/time she was bitten. Period.
Tell that to the judge.:)

kskboys

Reaction score
I think I know where the breakdown is...there are two types of trespassing...one civil (an intentional tort) and one criminal.

We are in the civil realm...this is a civil claim against Zeke...therefore the civil definition of trespassing applies. The civil definition of trespassing is: Texas law recognizes a cause of action for trespass to real property. Trespass to real property is an unauthorized entry upon the land of another, and may occur when one enters, or causes something to enter, another's property.

Therefore, this boils down to civil intent (i.e. did she want or desire or of her own free will) to enter the property? The answer is of course she did...unless she argues that she was somehow pushed onto Zeke's property...in every intentional tort cause of action you MUST prove intent...the next element is authorization. And that is where the fight is going to be...Zeke will argue (and win if true) that this lady showed up at either the wrong time and/or wrong day and/or did not provide (per her own company's policy) a sufficient notice to him that she would be entering his land.

So all this talk about how she was only there to clean the pool and not to rob him or not for criminal purposes or this or that is irrelevant to CIVIL TORT...that is the reason why if I decide to make a u-turn in your drive way...yes...you can sue me for the tort of trespassing (but unless you can prove actual damages then the best you would get is nominal damages of $1.00 -- but yes you can sue someone for doing a u-turn on your property). I met all the elements of civil trespassing: intent and lack of authorization...who cares what my motive (reason) is or whether it was even criminal.

It is also irrelevant if she was previously the one who cleaned the pool or if the last time she cleaned the pool she came at the wrong time or the wrong date. The only thing that matters, per Texas law, is intent and lack of authorization on that date/time she was bitten. Period.
I highly doubt it's that simple.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Well, Zeke's maid had a problem a few yeas ago as well

8839ac6b6e08fab30a6e9fc15090c483.gif

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Her side will produce phone records as to whether or not calls were made in advance of their showing up. Possibly text messages showing the same. Did zeke continue to use that same service after the incident occurred. Did he change service companies? If so, did he have it put in writing they call prior to coming out, especially after the dog incident. If not, wouldn't look good for zeke. Shades of grey.
I think Zeke is not being a bad guy here.

And he has had his dust ups with situations like that bar fight that ended up being nothing.

Same thing at that concert when he supposedly pushed a security guy.

He is a target and he is a bit spontaneous.

It's not easy being him obviously.

I give him benefit of the doubt.

We shall see.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
No Zeke's best defense would be that she was a trespasser...therefore not entitled to collect any damages under Texas law. Trespassing is an affirmative defense...which means that even if every single fact she said alleged in her Original Petition was true...she still could not collect a penny because her trespassing, under Texas modified comparative negligence rule, would probably put her more than 51% at fault...and therefore she would collect nothing.

"...but for your trespassing lady, you would not have been bitten by my dogs even if I did have some fault."

How does Zeke prove that she was a trespasser under CIVIL Texas law?

1. Intent (easy to prove...unless she was pushed onto his property) AND 2. lack of authorization/consent (she was not supposed to be at my house at that date or that time or she also had to notify me prior to entering my property).

That is why her attorney said what he said about her not adhering to company policy. It makes PERFECT sense: "Look lady, your own company's policy said that you have to give us a call 15 minutes prior to entering..." and because you didn't...your entrance was unauthorized...therefore trespassing...you collect nothing.

Once again...CIVIL trespassing...NOT CRIMINAL trespassing.

Sure, if she can prove that Zeke let her in or that an objective person would have believed that they were authorized to enter the property given the facts (implied consent), then authorization is given, and she would not be guilty of the civil tort of trespassing.
I was a paralegal for an attorney firm with 4 offices in the State of Florida.

I was not an attorney but there was many things I had to understand and research for my 10 attorneys.

I think you check the property for video evidence. Because it was back in March, the tapes may not exist now.

I would then interview the defendant and defined what was written, implied or what the accepted procedure in the past. That I believe then becomes the assumed procedure even if it has been changed because of implied consent.

This is all simple enough to establish where things come down according to the law.

A judge will consider any circumstances that occurred that affected the parties actions that have a bearing on the outcome.

I assume this is a gated community. So the association should have rules and bylaws for pets that are allowed, what type, how big and how many are allowed. If Zeke has complied then he should be fine here.

There are always exceptions. That is why there is homeowners insurance. Zeke no doubt has personal liability on himself in the millions. He should just let the attorneys do their thing.

I worry about the person and the dogs. The person needs help with the insident to be made whole. The dogs need to be protected as they are doing their function as guard dogs and pets. I do not want to see them put down or any adverse event on them as a result.

We live in a world where the unexpected happens every day. Just hope it does not happen to you.

:omg:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm sure there are many more scenarios that are possible, and I'm equally sure we'll find out that one of those is what actually happened. Maybe she reacted in a way that made him feel she was going to try to get all she possibly could out of him, and he realized that offering to pay her anything would be seen in the eyes of the law as an admission of guilt.

Maybe there's a completely different side to the story than we're hearing, which is so often the case.
Well I am just speculating based on very little data lol, sure I could be totally wrong,
but I have noticed things about elliot , which makes me think he is tight with his money, and not very responsible, self centered,and not really a good person.
Just my opinion .

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If I had elliots money, I would not have a outdoor pool. I would have a indoor heated pool, swim year round, and guess what,
no need for a pool cleaner person.