FEATURED FA agent thread

Buzzbait

Reaction score
With some extra money after couple of restructures, Jerry and the Cowboys needs fo go after Ndamukong Suh in FA. He is perfect DT for Quinn’s 4-3 scheme and ability pair with Hill, Gallimore & draft picks.

I could go for that. Last I heard, he's still available.

DRella

Reaction score
As a fan would you restructure the contracts of DLaw and Cooper to recoup some salary and allow us to become bigger players in FA this season. With only about 8 million to spend on FA currently, that isnt enough to better the overall team defense prior to the draft.

Thoughts?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a fan would you restructure the contracts of DLaw and Cooper to recoup some salary and allow us to become bigger players in FA this season. With only about 8 million to spend on FA currently, that isnt enough to better the overall team defense prior to the draft.

Thoughts?

The time to do so has passed.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Thoughts?
He dang well better do something if he doesn't want another embarrassing worthless defense like last year.
Or maybe he thinks his $75mil (this year) QB will play defense as well as offense.

JPM

Reaction score

Thoughts?
That 8 million includes draft pick money, correct ?

dagreat1_87

Reaction score

Thoughts?

I'd do Cooper, not Lawrence. Whenever we have the ability to release D-Law with low cap impact, i'd be cutting him

DRella

Reaction score
That 8 million includes draft pick money, correct ?

Estimate is about 17 million to play with. Subtract 9 million for draft picks, it leaves us 8 million to spend on FA. Not much.

Can we sign Kazee, Shelton, and KJ Wright for 8 million? I dont think so. Restructure some contracts (Coop and DLaw), you can go out an sign Sherman (to play FS), Suh (DT), and KJ Wright (LB). Those signings would improve D, along with draft.

Majic

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Absolutely not

DRella

Reaction score
I'd do Cooper, not Lawrence. Whenever we have the ability to release D-Law with low cap impact, i'd be cutting him

D-Law is the only defender we have that can both pressure the QB and stuff the run on the DL. I dont know why we would be in any rush to rid ourselves of him. We should be wanting to build around him not releasing him.

Dont get it, we either want to improve our D which should include DLaw. If not, then I dont get what all the belly aching is about when it comes to our D.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Thoughts?

Yes, I would. We have a three year window with Dak and we need to be all-in.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I hate to sound like Micky but who have we missed out on free agency that would have put us over the top. We have one of the most talented offensive teams in the NFL and still plenty of draft picks and free agents to fill out our defensive roster.

DRella

Reaction score
Yes, I would. We have a three year window with Dak and we need to be all-in.

Restructuring Coop and DLaw to free up another 10-15 million in cap space would be ideal. I dont see the Cowboys cutting or releasing either anytime soon. The contracts I would stay away from restructuring are Jaylon's and Zeke. Those are contracts I can see ended prematurely if they dont get better this coming season.

But having 18-23 million available to sign players in this FA is better then 8. Especially if it means 2 things, keeping both Coop and DLaw long term and also bettering your team in the 4 year window we all speak about with Dak under contract.

Would make us players this free agency on players like Sherman, Suh, Wright and Neal. 4 players that would instantly improve our defense.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Restructuring Coop and DLaw to free up another 10-15 million in cap space would be ideal. I dont see the Cowboys cutting or releasing either anytime soon. The contracts I would stay away from restructuring are Jaylon's and Zeke. Those are contracts I can see ended prematurely if they dont get better this coming season.

But having 18-23 million available to sign players in this FA is better then 8. Especially if it means 2 things, keeping both Coop and DLaw long term and also bettering your team in the 4 year window we all speak about with Dak under contract.

Would make us players this free agency on players like Sherman, Suh, Wright and Neal. 4 players that would instantly improve our defense.

I agree, thought I would like Jackson more than Sherman. And I do not think we need another SS, so I'm out on Neal.