FA happens before the Draft

Smith22

Reaction score
silverbear;1317636 said:
Flozell Adams isn't going anywhere

Agreed. Our problem is at OG, and Adams is in the last year of his contract, so I think he will finish it out.

Between FA and the draft, we need the following:

Pass Rusher (OLB or DE)
OG (Rivera just isn't the answer)
FS/CB (Depends which direction we go with Henry and FS)
OT (groom someone for either spot, especially with Adams on his last year)
NT (depth behind Fergy, we have NONE)

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Biggems;1297907 said:
why is that fantasy land?

Because the Cowboys aren't gonna blow up the offensive line and start from scratch, which is virtually what you're saying they should do...

why do you people feel like this is unrealistic?

we will have over 30 million to play with if we get rid of Flo, Rivera, and Fabini.....over 30 million...

First, I highly doubt that we get rid of Flo and Fabini... second, there will be a LOT of teams, with a LOT of cap room available this year... so a lot of these top free agents will not be hitting the open market (the Ravens just declared today their intentions to franchise Adalius Thomas), and there will be heavy bidding for any decent talent that is left out there for the picking...

Steinbach - 6 yr 30 million (16 million guaranteed)

The Bungles have a lot of free agents, but Steinbach is head and shoulders above all the others... don't be surprised if they don't franchise him...

If not, I rather doubt the numbers you cite will be enough to get him signed...

Pashos - 6 yr 24 million (12 million guaranteed)

You're kidding, right??

Personally, I wouldn't give you 4 million a year for the Ravens' entire offensive line...

Dielman - 6 yr 24 million (12 million guaranteed)

Now this one sounds about right... Julius and Marion would love having this guy blocking for them, as much as LT has...

burmafrd

Reaction score
forget Jordan Black. Freeny totally made him his in the playoffs and every time they have played. Just like the Hotel, speed rushers eat his lunch.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Biggems;1297746 said:
Our draft will be dictated by what happens in March and early April...whoever we cut and sign then will determine what we look for in the draft...so with that being said....

Remove
QB Drew Bledsoe
OG Marco Rivera
OT Jason Fabini
OT Flozell Adams
FB Lousaka Polite
LB Al Singleton
S Keith Davis
CB Jacques Reeves

Add FAs
QB Tim Rattay
OG Eric Steinbach
OG Kris Dielman
OT Tony Pashos
DT Terdell Sands
LB Adalius Thomas or DE Dwight Freeney (depending on 3-4 or 4-3 scheme)

Keep FAs
DE Stephen Bowen
DE Kenyon Coleman
OT Marc Colombo
WR Patrick Crayton
S Abram Elam
LB Ryan Fowler
LB Junior Glymph
C Andre Gurode
C Al Johnson
CB Nathan Jones
LS L.P. Ladouceur
P Mat McBriar
TE Brett Pierce
DE Jeremiah Ratliff

Add
new DC (Zimmer must go)
OL Coach (Alex Gibbs, Pat Hill, Mike Tice, etc)

2007 OL before Draft
C-Gurode, Johnson
G-Steinbach, Dielman, Kosier, Procter
T-Colombo, Pashos, McQuistan

With this I think we can go this route

1- DT Amobi Okoye Louisville - 6-1, 317, 5.15
2- CB/S Aaron Ross Texas - 6-1, 192, 4.55
3- OT Doug Free NIU - 6-7, 302, 5.10
4- CB Travarous Bain Hampton - 6-0, 175, 4.40
5- LB Zak DeOssie Brown - 6-4, 240, 4.70
6- WR Aaron Fairooz Central Arkansas - 6-6, 218, Great size, strong and excellent hands
7- DE/LB Marques Murrell Appalachian St. - 6-2, 245
7- OL Ed McCarthey Yale - 6-5, 302, can play C, G, T, solid pass and run blocker
7- TE Zac Herold Nebraska-Omaha - 6-6, 269, excels as blocker and receiver

No offense, but if we do absolutely nothing at the WR spot except add a 6th round pick to go with all our other nobodies and middle-aged starters, we are going to be in a world of hurt now our in the future...this is the time to bring in a young stud at the position.

With all the young guys coming out this year, I think Ginn or Jarrett will end up dropping a bit and could easily be within striking range...I'd take either of them. Jarrett is ready to compete right now with Crayton and would be a #1 or #2 starter when needed. Ginn could return kicks until polished, just in time to replace T.O. or Glenn as a top receiving threat.

If we don't take care of business, we'll do to Romo what we did to Aikman after Irvin went down...send him out there with no real talent at WR.

Eddie

Reaction score
Seems like this is Dump on Flo Week.

Then again, I'll agree, I've partaken in the Flo shots. I do think it's time for a new LT. But I have a feeling we're going to suffer with him for at least one more season.

So question, of the 4 remaining teams in the playoffs ... how do their LT's compare to Flo ?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
wayne_motley;1317847 said:
No offense, but if we do absolutely nothing at the WR spot except add a 6th round pick to go with all our other nobodies and middle-aged starters, we are going to be in a world of hurt now our in the future...this is the time to bring in a young stud at the position.

With all the young guys coming out this year, I think Ginn or Jarrett will end up dropping a bit and could easily be within striking range...I'd take either of them. Jarrett is ready to compete right now with Crayton and would be a #1 or #2 starter when needed. Ginn could return kicks until polished, just in time to replace T.O. or Glenn as a top receiving threat.

If we don't take care of business, we'll do to Romo what we did to Aikman after Irvin went down...send him out there with no real talent at WR.

The Pats have never had a great WR and look at their success. All you need is someone who can get open and catch the ball. I like what we have in Crayton. I like what Austin gives us on ST....I would like to see more of him in our offense, maybe next year. I like Sam Hurd on ST......He too needs more reps with the offense. In preseason Jamaica Rector was catching everything in site. I would like to see him on our regular season roster.

That right there is 4 young guys who we need to develop. I don't want to pull another Jimmy Smith....let one of them go and have him become a top NFL WR with another team.

I am very pleased with our WR situation.

Conversely I am not pleased at RB. I like MB3 a lot. I cannot stand JJ. JJ had a nice year this year behind substandard blocking. However, my big beef with him is his vision. He never finds the hole unless it is huge. He always runs into the back of his OL. Also if a play is made to go a certain way, that is where he runs, he almost never cuts back to find a hole, he never improvises......IMO the RB needs to be able to improvise on the fly and JJ doesn't have this skill. He has been productive and if we fix our OL he should be moreso next year.....but I still do not like his running style. There are a few backs in this draft I would like to have.

Wynn - Florida (not the fastest runner, but damn he brings it on every run)
Henry - Arizona (solid in pass protection, solid receiver, big fast runner, low mileage on his tires too)
Dawson - (this guy is a small school sleeper, keep your eye on him)
Mason - (another small school sleeper to keep your eyes on)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Biggems;1317899 said:
The Pats have never had a great WR and look at their success. All you need is someone who can get open and catch the ball. I like what we have in Crayton. I like what Austin gives us on ST....I would like to see more of him in our offense, maybe next year. I like Sam Hurd on ST......He too needs more reps with the offense. In preseason Jamaica Rector was catching everything in site. I would like to see him on our regular season roster.

That right there is 4 young guys who we need to develop. I don't want to pull another Jimmy Smith....let one of them go and have him become a top NFL WR with another team.

I am very pleased with our WR situation.

Conversely I am not pleased at RB. I like MB3 a lot. I cannot stand JJ. JJ had a nice year this year behind substandard blocking. However, my big beef with him is his vision. He never finds the hole unless it is huge. He always runs into the back of his OL. Also if a play is made to go a certain way, that is where he runs, he almost never cuts back to find a hole, he never improvises......IMO the RB needs to be able to improvise on the fly and JJ doesn't have this skill. He has been productive and if we fix our OL he should be moreso next year.....but I still do not like his running style. There are a few backs in this draft I would like to have.

Wynn - Florida (not the fastest runner, but damn he brings it on every run)
Henry - Arizona (solid in pass protection, solid receiver, big fast runner, low mileage on his tires too)
Dawson - (this guy is a small school sleeper, keep your eye on him)
Mason - (another small school sleeper to keep your eyes on)

I suspect a great deal of this has to do with his coaching. If you recall, in his Rookie year, almost all of his big runs came off the cut back. The Coaching staff was all over him for that. I think Jones is being coached to run to the hole as opposed to running to daylight.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Biggems;1297894 said:
Flozell blows

1-Colombo
2-Kosier
3-Gurode
4-Flozell
5-Rivera

Next year I want our OL to look like this

RT-Colombo, McQuistan
RG-Steinbach, Procter
C-Gurode, Draft Pick
LG-Dielman,Kosier
LT-Pashos, Draft Pick

honestly why get rid of Al Johnson.....he is a top 5 backup C in the league.....don't be ridiculous he stays.