Face the Facts. Dallas has roster issues

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Every team has roster issues.

That’s why you can’t try to win a championship like it’s 1992 anymore. Coaching and Quarterback play and or incredible defense is what it takes. You have to have 2 of the 3.

BigD5

Reaction score
2014, we had an offense hitting on all cylinders...run game, OL, Witten, Dez. Our problem was the defense was garbage, pretty much top to bottom. Four years later, we finally started to address the defense, but we all see a defense that still needs a DT, and most want him in round 1. Our LBs are probably the worst part of the defense. Everyone’s LBs get hurt; that’s the nature of the game. Yet we have our star defender in his 30’s, and even if the stars align and Hitchins resigns, Lee stays healthy, and Smith pans out, we still have no depth or future at the position. The secondary is young and talented, but everyone still feels there’s a need for at least 1 safety and another CB. That’s a lot of defensive work to be done, work that doesn’t even suggest we should find another DE.

The bigger problem is that while we are trying to rebuild the defense, the offense has gone backwards and will continue to regress without a lot of attention.

As an offense built around it’s OL and run game, we are in DIRE need of a LG and a backup LT (we can call it a swing tackle, but the fact is we need a guy who can step in at LT). We also need another quality RB. We are not the Packers. If Zeke so much as sprains an ankle, how many really want Smith as our RB? He is not the answer for a team that must run the ball. Albert Morris was not the answer because teams played the pass and didn’t care if he got 80-100 yards. At his best in 2018, Dez is not a playmaker, and the depth at WR is garbage. So we need a guard, a tackle, a RB, and a WR, not to mention the TE position unless we think the answer is Rico or Jarwin. The offense, the unit we count on to win games while we try to build a moderately successful defense that can hold a lead, is in pretty bad shape right now even if Dak plays well.

No way all those issues can be addressed this offseason, so what’s the answer? At 19, Do we need a DT more than we need a starting LG or a playmaking WR that drops in our laps? At 50, do we need a starting LB more than DL or DB, a RB more than a TE or OT?

It’s hard to say, but the DL and secondary may be the best units with the most depth for an NFL season than any other position. Cooper Rush is our answer at QB if we are on a special run? Smith behind Zeke? The OL is weak with Cooper already, but imagine 1 injury along that line...other than Center, we have nothing.

I’m sorry folks, but this roster is a mess, and don’t tell me that better coaches can take Rush, Smith, Swaim, Chaz Green, DWilson, Wilber, and TWilliams and just coach em up.
Geez.. don’t be so dramatic. This roster is on par with any roster in the NFL.

Nowadays there is no team that is flawless. It’s impossible with free agency and salary caps.

Dallas doesn’t have a glaringly bad hole at any position group. They are at least average at every group

BigD5

Reaction score
I don’t think the defense is a total mess. We made some strides last year .

We are a stud DT, maybe another DE, a big playmaking LB and or Safety away from being a top 5 to 10 defense.
#8 defense in the NFL last season. Not bad

Sydla

Reaction score
He's right about the guard. Signing Sitton who the Bears are releasing would be a quality upgrade. Those are the type of moves the team needs to make. Who's Albert Morris?

I can live with that.

I’ve said what I would do is go get a vet OG and a vet OT and then draft a developmental OT in the middle rounds.

Using the 19th pick on an OL would be silly to me. The OT you take at 19 could end up being a bench warmer if Smith is healthy and using the 19th pick on an OG would be insane to me.

You’ve built the OL to the point that now is the time to actually use FA.

kevm3

Reaction score
It's not roster issues. It's a lack of adjustments issues. We don't have so much talent that we can line our guys up with basic plays and outexecute the best teams in the league who already know what we are going to do next. We need more coaching.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score

That’s why you can’t try to win a championship like it’s 1992 anymore. Coaching and Quarterback play and or incredible defense is what it takes. You have to have 2 of the 3.
Yep. Can't out talent everybody.
Agree about coaching, QB and defense. Though even with a great coach and elite QB you still need a good defense. Look at Brady and Belichick, they almost always have a solid scoring defense with fundamentally sound players. Tom doesn't have to have a bunch of pro bowl skill players, either because he makes his recievers better.

Aven8

Reaction score

So you're saying it's up to Dak and Marinelli? Gotcha! ;)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yep. Can't out talent everybody.
Agree about coaching, QB and defense. Though even with a great coach and elite QB you still need a good defense. Look at Brady and Belichick, they almost always have a solid scoring defense with fundamentally sound players. Tom doesn't have to have a bunch of pro bowl skill players, either because he makes his recievers better.

Dallas has shown Zeke can dramatically improve the scoring defense so we have that going for us.

Zeke is know he has of our defense.

Our actual defense would probably be ok if we could just avoid Rodgers.

Hardline

Reaction score
We are not in dire need of a LG. Cooper is serviceable.

What we are in need of is competent coaching along the OL and offense.

It’s amazing that people think the difference between this being a blah OL and an elite one is the LG.

Geezus.
With this team that is the case.

T-RO

Reaction score
I don't get threads like this.

This is a talented team, poised to get even better

-We have six players that have been to one or more pro bowls.
-We have a lot of young guys that are getting better
-We've won 22 of our last 32 games
-Jaylon could be a serious player next year. Rico could actually contribute.

Every team has holes in multiple spots. Not every team has ten draft picks plus FA to fill four, maybe five positions of need.

Snap out of it! Come out of your darkness. Geesh.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Think I've done this but here's it again.

1. Dak needs to develop reads which needs receiver and coaching help. Presnap reads needs to improve greatly.
2. WR esp Dez needs to run routes better and read defenses as well as catch the ball. He needs to be more like Michael Irvin and not Dez.
3. We need a #1 or #2 with speed
4. We need a hybrid TE......big guy with speed who has huge catch radius
5. Swing tackle or a person capable of playing RT and LT
6. Competition at LG
7. Competition at RB esp 3rd down back
8. Development of RB pass game
9. Run the ball efficiently
10. The above would lead to an efficient pass game.

Proof

Reaction score
Philly has one of the best GM's in the League while ours ...well...

One of the most ... bold. His MO Has never amounted to anything previously.

You throw enough sh... at the wall it will eventually stick. I agree / admit that he had a masterful 12 Months, but let’s ease up a bit

nobody

Reaction score
One of the most ... bold. His MO Has never amounted to anything previously.

You throw enough sh... at the wall it will eventually stick. I agree / admit that he had a masterful 12 Months, but let’s ease up a bit

He got them out of Chips mess super fast. He inexplicably got great trades for Murray and Bradford and in return for getting rid of two nasty cap hits, got really good draft positions. Right now, he IS one of the best GM's in the league. I'd take him as GM over Jerry any day of the week.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
2014, we had an offense hitting on all cylinders...run game, OL, Witten, Dez. Our problem was the defense was garbage, pretty much top to bottom. Four years later, we finally started to address the defense, but we all see a defense that still needs a DT, and most want him in round 1. Our LBs are probably the worst part of the defense. Everyone’s LBs get hurt; that’s the nature of the game. Yet we have our star defender in his 30’s, and even if the stars align and Hitchins resigns, Lee stays healthy, and Smith pans out, we still have no depth or future at the position. The secondary is young and talented, but everyone still feels there’s a need for at least 1 safety and another CB. That’s a lot of defensive work to be done, work that doesn’t even suggest we should find another DE.

The bigger problem is that while we are trying to rebuild the defense, the offense has gone backwards and will continue to regress without a lot of attention.

As an offense built around it’s OL and run game, we are in DIRE need of a LG and a backup LT (we can call it a swing tackle, but the fact is we need a guy who can step in at LT). We also need another quality RB. We are not the Packers. If Zeke so much as sprains an ankle, how many really want Smith as our RB? He is not the answer for a team that must run the ball. Albert Morris was not the answer because teams played the pass and didn’t care if he got 80-100 yards. At his best in 2018, Dez is not a playmaker, and the depth at WR is garbage. So we need a guard, a tackle, a RB, and a WR, not to mention the TE position unless we think the answer is Rico or Jarwin. The offense, the unit we count on to win games while we try to build a moderately successful defense that can hold a lead, is in pretty bad shape right now even if Dak plays well.

No way all those issues can be addressed this offseason, so what’s the answer? At 19, Do we need a DT more than we need a starting LG or a playmaking WR that drops in our laps? At 50, do we need a starting LB more than DL or DB, a RB more than a TE or OT?

It’s hard to say, but the DL and secondary may be the best units with the most depth for an NFL season than any other position. Cooper Rush is our answer at QB if we are on a special run? Smith behind Zeke? The OL is weak with Cooper already, but imagine 1 injury along that line...other than Center, we have nothing.

I’m sorry folks, but this roster is a mess, and don’t tell me that better coaches can take Rush, Smith, Swaim, Chaz Green, DWilson, Wilber, and TWilliams and just coach em up.
Every team has its roster woes and lack of depth. And aging players.
In Dallas we pride ourselves in keeping the aged (for leadership), spend one final last year in evaluating a JAG who has been stinking up the place for 5 years and don't spend the big bucks in free agency so we can keep has-beens such as Witten, Dez and TWill.
Clean house of WRs (keep Beasely) and Witten.
The D is such a mess I do not know where to begin. But good luck.

gmoney112

Reaction score
If we don't learn to adjust on offense, specifically OL, when we lose a player we won't win any games if the big boys get injured.

Get some speed at WR.

Help the middle of the defense.

Do whatever we think we need to do to keep points down and create TOs. A little could go a long way here.

Proof

Reaction score

I appreciate the passion, but passion (and frustration) can lead to blindness. This post is so incredibly misguided to me. First 2014 to now in the strictest sense is 4 calendar years, but in football seasons ours ended in 2015 and the 2018 season hasn’t begun. Effectively it’s 2 years. And we didn’t “finally start to address the defense”, the immediate offseason following we signed Greg Hardy and drafted Byron in the first, Gregory In the 2nd and 5 of the first 6 picks on D, in addition to choosing to pay Crawford over Demarco. The following year they spent 5 of their first 7 picks on the D as well, to go along with 6 of their first 7 picks this past draft on D. And that’s on the heels of our offense (99 pct the same personnel ) being one of the best offenses in the league.

You can (certainly / effectively ) argue some of the choices and how they’ve panned out, but you can’t say they haven’t invested.

The offense too had to deal with the drama surrounding zeke, along with the eventual suspension of him along with the o line trying to develop chemistry on the fly while being shuffled around, to go with the loss of Tyron, and the indecisiveness of the coaches lineups and teams scheming towards Beasley to go along with he psychological fallout of the fan base turning on Dez, Daks natural regression from an all-time rookie debut, and no adjusting or creativity from our coaching staff.

I’m also not on board with your take on our lb corps. Obviously these are big IFs, but just using them to argue your hypothetical of Lee being healthy , Jaylon returning to form and retaining hitch... at that point depth is damn near irrelevant. We’d all love more begins then, but that’s an extremely talented unit if the stars aligned. It’s a long shot and I admit it, but I’m responding to you saying at full strength they still don’t have anyone behind them... so... what? Who does? And if you can name a team with comparable lbs, who also have a solid backup unit, I need to know who it is, and then compare them too to bottom to our roster and talent.

Lastly, I reject the premise that we NEED a stud DT any more than feeling getting one could really push the (already talented ) D over the top.