Face the Facts. Dallas has roster issues

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We can’t fix it all in one season. Dak has to develop more in his passing ability to maximize our current recievers. A more effecient QB play might be enough to make a difference.

We should bring in another TE to develop and a speed receiver but I would spend my top 2 picks on defense . Prob DL and LB.

I’d consider moving Collins back to LG where he was before getting injury losing his position to Leary. That would give support to Smith over there. And use a mid round pick on an OL..
Are you thinking a mid-round lineman will be our RT starter, or would you sign a veteran.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
would you say Philly did it in 2?
The key to Philly is they already had a dominant front 7 and just needed to do what we did with their secondary. Their OL was already really good too, so they focused on the secondary and skill positions on offense.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I disagree.

WR
Swing Tackle
1-tech DT

LB depends on Hitchens. If he stays they would have more legit depth there than in many seasons.

They might have more depth at CB than I can remember and they can manage at Safety. DL looks better than in many years in regards to pass rush.

LG was good enough if they have a decent LT when Tyron is out.

Emmitt never had a legit backup. The current backups are probably better than Emmitt had most years.

TE has several options. Witten would be OK if they had better WRs.

A 1-tech DT is easier to find than many other positions like pass rusher or CB.

Finding a backup 4-3 LB is also easier than many positions like pass rusher, CB, OT etc.

That leaves us at WR and Swing Tackle as the big challenges.

Good OTs will want to go where they can push for a starting job which is not with the Cowboys. The draft might be the best way but free agency comes first which means then might need to overpay to get a free agent.

Finally we down to WR. This position is a disaster. Dez is toast. He might have some good plays but will more bad plays than good.

TWill would be a decent 3rd WR but is a #2 here. He might be OK as a #2 if they had a legit #1 WR.

Beasley is a niche player. Switzer is likely similar.

No idea about Brown at this point but he is not a speed guy and they really lack speed on offense.

Summary: Find a #1 WR, trade for Parnell to play RT and move Collins to LG until Tyron is injured then Parnell and Collins are the OTs.
Not to be picky, but who are our legit backups at Lb? Wilson? Wilber? or are you high on one of the young guys on the PS?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2014, we had an offense hitting on all cylinders...run game, OL, Witten, Dez. Our problem was the defense was garbage, pretty much top to bottom. Four years later, we finally started to address the defense, but we all see a defense that still needs a DT, and most want him in round 1. Our LBs are probably the worst part of the defense. Everyone’s LBs get hurt; that’s the nature of the game. Yet we have our star defender in his 30’s, and even if the stars align and Hitchins resigns, Lee stays healthy, and Smith pans out, we still have no depth or future at the position. The secondary is young and talented, but everyone still feels there’s a need for at least 1 safety and another CB. That’s a lot of defensive work to be done, work that doesn’t even suggest we should find another DE.

The bigger problem is that while we are trying to rebuild the defense, the offense has gone backwards and will continue to regress without a lot of attention.

As an offense built around it’s OL and run game, we are in DIRE need of a LG and a backup LT (we can call it a swing tackle, but the fact is we need a guy who can step in at LT). We also need another quality RB. We are not the Packers. If Zeke so much as sprains an ankle, how many really want Smith as our RB? He is not the answer for a team that must run the ball. Albert Morris was not the answer because teams played the pass and didn’t care if he got 80-100 yards. At his best in 2018, Dez is not a playmaker, and the depth at WR is garbage. So we need a guard, a tackle, a RB, and a WR, not to mention the TE position unless we think the answer is Rico or Jarwin. The offense, the unit we count on to win games while we try to build a moderately successful defense that can hold a lead, is in pretty bad shape right now even if Dak plays well.

No way all those issues can be addressed this offseason, so what’s the answer? At 19, Do we need a DT more than we need a starting LG or a playmaking WR that drops in our laps? At 50, do we need a starting LB more than DL or DB, a RB more than a TE or OT?

It’s hard to say, but the DL and secondary may be the best units with the most depth for an NFL season than any other position. Cooper Rush is our answer at QB if we are on a special run? Smith behind Zeke? The OL is weak with Cooper already, but imagine 1 injury along that line...other than Center, we have nothing.

I’m sorry folks, but this roster is a mess, and don’t tell me that better coaches can take Rush, Smith, Swaim, Chaz Green, DWilson, Wilber, and TWilliams and just coach em up.

Yeppers and it will get worse before it gets better!

Jerry you animal you !!!!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The question is do you think it is further away than closer to complete?

It seems the blueprint may be the root of the problem and I see a lot of "if we only had this" type posting. Ask yourself another question, is that a fundamental building block of an offense or defense or an add on?

Offense? That's easy, get your QB, and that's undecided so far, and the OL and they had it close but then it regressed so that is not complete. The receiving corps is a different issue but it starts up front.

Defense? Well that depends on how you think it should be built but imo, it all starts in the middle and that is where they have failed. It's not the front 7, it is the middle 5. 2 DT's, 1 MLB and 2 Safeties. That not only shuts down the run but the soft middle of the field. The straight line being the shortest distance between two points. Who starts at those positions for the Cowboys?

The anchor of a good run D is that stud DT and if he's a backfield wrecker like Donald, all the better but he is a run stopper first. And he occupies the OL double team to keep OL off the backers.

Do the Cowboys have a top 10 player at any of those 5 D positions? That's 50 players on 32 teams and they do not have 1.

They can get a lot closer than further away in this draft but that all depends on the positions first, not necessarily the players. Most teams will have the same 2 DT's on their boards, whether they're in the market or not. If the Cowboys take the best DT available, they've done what they could. If not, they do not agree with me on how to build a defense. But, I cannot see a contending D without that foundation first.
Since you asked the question, I think we're getting closer on the defense, but I think we're moving further away with the offense due to the receivers, the OL, and the RB depth, which I still think is awful.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Geez.. don’t be so dramatic. This roster is on par with any roster in the NFL.

Nowadays there is no team that is flawless. It’s impossible with free agency and salary caps.

Dallas doesn’t have a glaringly bad hole at any position group. They are at least average at every group
Really? you think our roster in 2017 was on par with the better teams? I don't think our receivers are even average in our division, much less in the NFL. And the roster isn't about who the starters are if everyone is healthy. Our depth just about everywhere is horrible. I like our depth on the DL and secondary, no where else.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the cowboys roster needs some work all around but they have some good players where dallas falls short is coaching they don't have the coaching to put the players they have in the best position to succeed

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don't get threads like this.

This is a talented team, poised to get even better

-We have six players that have been to one or more pro bowls.
-We have a lot of young guys that are getting better
-We've won 22 of our last 32 games
-Jaylon could be a serious player next year. Rico could actually contribute.

Every team has holes in multiple spots. Not every team has ten draft picks plus FA to fill four, maybe five positions of need.

Snap out of it! Come out of your darkness. Geesh.
Again, my issues with our roster isn't the starting 22 guys. Of course there are some issues at a few spots, like LG, WR, TE, but where our roster doesn't measure up is the depth. Our OL has zero depth other than Looney at C. Our LBs have zero depth. Our TE position had no go to depth that was healthy. Our WRs are not even average, much less depth if anyone goes down. If our 22 starters are all healthy, we can complete with anyone.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Think I've done this but here's it again.

1. Dak needs to develop reads which needs receiver and coaching help. Presnap reads needs to improve greatly.
2. WR esp Dez needs to run routes better and read defenses as well as catch the ball. He needs to be more like Michael Irvin and not Dez.
3. We need a #1 or #2 with speed
4. We need a hybrid TE......big guy with speed who has huge catch radius
5. Swing tackle or a person capable of playing RT and LT
6. Competition at LG
7. Competition at RB esp 3rd down back
8. Development of RB pass game
9. Run the ball efficiently
10. The above would lead to an efficient pass game.
I agree 100%...we want to improve at key positions, but the most important thing is to improve our depth across the board.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You should be able to have an all star OL without having to use the 19th pick on an OG.

Think about what you are saying............... you are saying that a rookie OG at 19 will be so good he will overcome coaching and scheme deficiencies and make the other 4 players, 3 of which are All-Pros and the best at their respective positions, better?

That's insanity. Big time insanity.
Or we're saying look what the OL did with Leary at LG compared to Cooper who had no one trying to sign him...he's a bust. I'd take the OG out of ND if he was there at 19 because he'd be by far the best player available, but you can find a starting LG in round 2, 3, or 4.

BigD5

Reaction score
Really? you think our roster in 2017 was on par with the better teams? I don't think our receivers are even average in our division, much less in the NFL. And the roster isn't about who the starters are if everyone is healthy. Our depth just about everywhere is horrible. I like our depth on the DL and secondary, no where else.
Yes I do.

I don’t think any team has incredible depth. Not Philadelphia. Not New England. No one.

Teams have great depth at certain position groups but not at ALL position groups. Just like dallas

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
2014, we had an offense hitting on all cylinders...run game, OL, Witten, Dez. Our problem was the defense was garbage, pretty much top to bottom. Four years later, we finally started to address the defense, but we all see a defense that still needs a DT, and most want him in round 1. Our LBs are probably the worst part of the defense. Everyone’s LBs get hurt; that’s the nature of the game. Yet we have our star defender in his 30’s, and even if the stars align and Hitchins resigns, Lee stays healthy, and Smith pans out, we still have no depth or future at the position. The secondary is young and talented, but everyone still feels there’s a need for at least 1 safety and another CB. That’s a lot of defensive work to be done, work that doesn’t even suggest we should find another DE.

The bigger problem is that while we are trying to rebuild the defense, the offense has gone backwards and will continue to regress without a lot of attention.

As an offense built around it’s OL and run game, we are in DIRE need of a LG and a backup LT (we can call it a swing tackle, but the fact is we need a guy who can step in at LT). We also need another quality RB. We are not the Packers. If Zeke so much as sprains an ankle, how many really want Smith as our RB? He is not the answer for a team that must run the ball. Albert Morris was not the answer because teams played the pass and didn’t care if he got 80-100 yards. At his best in 2018, Dez is not a playmaker, and the depth at WR is garbage. So we need a guard, a tackle, a RB, and a WR, not to mention the TE position unless we think the answer is Rico or Jarwin. The offense, the unit we count on to win games while we try to build a moderately successful defense that can hold a lead, is in pretty bad shape right now even if Dak plays well.

No way all those issues can be addressed this offseason, so what’s the answer? At 19, Do we need a DT more than we need a starting LG or a playmaking WR that drops in our laps? At 50, do we need a starting LB more than DL or DB, a RB more than a TE or OT?

It’s hard to say, but the DL and secondary may be the best units with the most depth for an NFL season than any other position. Cooper Rush is our answer at QB if we are on a special run? Smith behind Zeke? The OL is weak with Cooper already, but imagine 1 injury along that line...other than Center, we have nothing.

I’m sorry folks, but this roster is a mess, and don’t tell me that better coaches can take Rush, Smith, Swaim, Chaz Green, DWilson, Wilber, and TWilliams and just coach em up.
No, the Cowboys have a fan problem. All teams have roster issues.

T-RO

Reaction score
Again, my issues with our roster isn't the starting 22 guys. Of course there are some issues at a few spots, like LG, WR, TE, but where our roster doesn't measure up is the depth. Our OL has zero depth other than Looney at C. Our LBs have zero depth. Our TE position had no go to depth that was healthy. Our WRs are not even average, much less depth if anyone goes down. If our 22 starters are all healthy, we can complete with anyone.

I agree we have to shore up depth...esp. behind T Smith. But we have 10 draft picks, so I'm not discouraged about us getting that accomplished.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
We are not in dire need of a LG. Cooper is serviceable.

What we are in need of is competent coaching along the OL and offense.

It’s amazing that people think the difference between this being a blah OL and an elite one is the LG.

Geezus.

The elephant in the room is when Smith sits, the line becomes average. When Smith plays hurt, he eventually sits. Quarterbacks are normally only as good as their protection.

I'd also like to see the coaching staff work Zeke into the passing game more. He can catch the ball. I have no clue where the notion started on this board that he cannot.

Sydla

Reaction score
Or we're saying look what the OL did with Leary at LG compared to Cooper who had no one trying to sign him...he's a bust. I'd take the OG out of ND if he was there at 19 because he'd be by far the best player available, but you can find a starting LG in round 2, 3, or 4.

I'd take Nelson too at 19 simply because you'd be getting a Top 3 talent at 19. I'd take any player ranked in the Top 3 at 19 if he fell. That's real value at 19.

But the fact is, that people are deluding themselves thinking that what's wrong with the OL is that they don't have a 5th upper level talent playing LG. Using the 19th pick on Hernandez, for example, would be pretty silly IMO and a waste of resources.

Sydla

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is when Smith sits, the line becomes average. When Smith plays hurt, he eventually sits. Quarterbacks are normally only as good as their protection.

I'd also like to see the coaching staff work Zeke into the passing game more. He can catch the ball. I have no clue where the notion started on this board that he cannot.

Agreed.

Hence why I am all for using FA to get a vet OT in here and also a vet OG if they don't believe Cooper is the guy. Then take an OT in those middle rounds as a development guy.

elcowboi

Reaction score
Just get rid of EVERYBODY and start over...since pretty much everyone on the team sucks based on a lot of opinions from Cowboys fans...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to be picky, but who are our legit backups at Lb? Wilson? Wilber? or are you high on one of the young guys on the PS?
If Hitchens stays that is Hitchens, Jaylon and Lee for basically two positions. The SLB only plays about 15% of the snaps.

Have they had a 3rd LB that was better than Hitchens or Jaylon since Marinelli has been here?

I'm factoring in that Jaylon was much better by the end of 2017 than early in the season.