Facebook Linked To One In Five Divorces in the United States

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If you’re single, Facebook and other social networking sites can help you meet that special someone. However, for those in even the healthiest of marriages, improper use can quickly devolve into a marital disaster.

A recent survey by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers found that Facebook is cited in one in five divorces in the United States. Also, more than 80 percent of divorce lawyers reported a rising number of people are using social media to engage in extramarital affairs.

Complete Story

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
baj1dallas;3862177 said:
Like blaming the car for drunk driving.

I don't think they are blaming Facebook.

It's not Facebook that is committing adultery, Facebook is just the tool that makes it easier.

If a drunk man doesn't have a car to drive, he can't drive drunk. The car is a tool that enables the crime to happen.

Reaction score
It shouldn't be a surprise to anybody that many people only don't cheat on their spouses because it's not convenient. Facebook connects people that wouldn't normally interact with one another, and any behavior happens more the easier you make it.

Many people pirate movies, music, games, etc., but wouldn't go into a store and steal them for fear of getting caught. It's the same type of thing here.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Seems low considering the number of people on Facebook (well over 1 in 5, I believe).

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pretty funny given that half of marriages already end in divorce.

For all we know FB is keeping more marriages together (and creating new marriages) than it is causing divorces. :)

Seriously though. My guess is that anyone who got divorced and just so happened to be on facebook, would have probably gotten divorced anyway.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DFWJC;3862493 said:
Pretty funny given that half of marriages already end in divorce.

For all we know FB is keeping more marriages together (and creating new marriages) than it is causing divorces. :)

Seiously though. My guess is that anyone who got divorced and just so happened to be on facebook, would have probably gotten divorced anyway.

A friend of mine has a brother that has been married 3 times. All three he met online and had long distance relationships to start. Then got married and subsequently divorced. My theory is, it's easier to meet people online and infatuation occurs. These people see the relationship as an opportunity at a better life. (the person makes them happy) The current marriage ends in divorce, then the new relationship / marriage goes full-time, realization sets in as people stop hiding their true selves and that relationship ends in divorce too.

My recommendation, absolutely do not get married until your relationship is a minimum of two years old and have lived with each other for at least 1-2 of those years.

If you haven't lived with that person for a substantial amount of time, don't even THINK about getting married. Otherwise, I believe your odds in getting divorced increase substantially. Obviously it can work, I just think the odds are not in your favor as people don't show their true colors until they relax to the point that they act without thinking about it. (or just don't give a damn in the first place)

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
nyc;3862511 said:
If you haven't lived with that person for a substantial amount of time, don't even THINK about getting married.

I recommend living with someone before marrying as well. Living with someone is quite different than dating someone. Biiiiiggg difference.

DFWJC

Reaction score
nyc;3862511 said:
A friend of mine has a brother that has been married 3 times. All three he met online and had long distance relationships to start. Then got married and subsequently divorced. My theory is, it's easier to meet people online and infatuation occurs. These people see the relationship as an opportunity at a better life. (the person makes them happy) The current marriage ends in divorce, then the new relationship / marriage goes full-time, realization sets in as people stop hiding their true selves and that relationship ends in divorce too.
)

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well.

I was saying that the people getting divorced who also use FB are like your friend's brother--they were going to get divorced but FB may have made it easier. In the end, FB would not have cuased the split, but may have moved up the time table.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3862516 said:
I recommend living with someone before marrying as well. Living with someone is quite different than dating someone. Biiiiiggg difference.

This year I will have been married to the same woman for 20 years. Never lived with her before hand.

Marriage is about love. You learn to adjust to the other person if you love them. You don't have to live together to figure out if you love someone.

This is more of an excuse than anything else.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3862521 said:
This year I will have been married to the same woman for 20 years. Never lived with her before hand.

Marriage is about love. You learn to adjust to the other person if you love them. You don't have to live together to figure out if you love someone.

This is more of an excuse than anything else.

Congrats. And trust me, living with them helps you figure it out right quick.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
nyc;3862511 said:
My recommendation, absolutely do not get married until your relationship is a minimum of two years old and have lived with each other for at least 1-2 of those years.

I'm completely on board with this. Infatuation is the easy part.

Can you live with their bad habits and foibles? Can they live with yours?

I didn't marry for the first time until I was 36. I wanted to make double-triple sure that I was with the right person before making the leap, because I have no intention of divorcing. I have friends from high school that have been divorced, my parents divorced. I didn't want that to be me.

I think people jump into marriage too easily and regret it later when the person isn't who they thought they were.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CowboyDan;3862530 said:
Congrats. And trust me, living with them helps you figure it out right quick.

Thanks.

But if you really love someone then you can deal with stuff.

Of course, there are idiots out there who confuse sex with love and don't know what it is so....

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3862534 said:
But if you really love someone then you can deal with stuff.

And maybe you can, but they can't. You find out quick when you live together.

Reaction score
Of course there are couples that are happy and never lived with one another before getting married. That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with the people saying they think it's beneficial to live together first. You absolutely will not know how you feel about actually living with someone until you do so, and it can definitely change how you feel about somebody.

I dated my wife for 5 years, then we lived together for about 3, then now we've been married for 3, and neither of us could be happier. Everybody is different of course.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CowboyDan;3862538 said:
And maybe you can, but they can't. You find out quick when you live together.

Then they weren't marrying for love. It was something else.

If you can't deal with someone not putting the lid on the toothpaste and that sends you over the edge, then there are issues that go beyond a marriage councilor.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3862543 said:
Then they weren't marrying for love. It was something else.

If you can't deal with someone not putting the lid on the toothpaste and that sends you over the edge, then there are issues that go beyond a marriage councilor.

I think we agree on that Rob. What I'm saying is that living together expedite's the "figuring out why you're together" part. I'm not disagreeing with you.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3862549 said:
I think we agree on that Rob. What I'm saying is that living together expedite's the "figuring out why you're together" part. I'm not disagreeing with you.

I agree. I honestly feel people need to live together a year to 2 years before marrying. To many divorces happen because that environment was never experienced.

Folks need to be around each other in a living enviornment. I think there is to much on a new marriage of learning how to LIVE with each other.

People are different in their homes.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I was engaged once before I got married. She is a friend on Facebook. She is on her third marriage. The guy she dumped me for (I still can't believe he beat me out) treated her awful. She got divorced 9 months later and was 6 months pregnant when she got her divorce.

I am told her 2nd husband was abusive and she actually basically fled to other states to get away from him.

Her current husband is a good guy, but a common friend tells me they are having some rough spots. She has two sons with him, so three kids total.

One day last Summer, out of the blue she sent me a message on Facebook and apologized for dumping me and said it was the biggest mistake of her life. Remember, she is married right now, and she is telling me this.

I saw her one time after her first marriage ended and before I ever met my wife. If she had shown any interest at all I would have probably married her on the spot. I would have had an 18 month old step daughter, but I don't care about that.

She was almost cold. I was glad because I was finally able to close that door. Finding my wife was an answer to prayer. She's amazing.

I was floored by that apology. The first thing I did was tell my wife about it. I think that is what gets people in trouble. They hide something and think it is kind of exciting to be mysterious. I don't. I cherish what I have and would do nothing to damage it. She had her chances.

The same day she also talked to her 2nd husband on the phone and got out some bitterness she felt for him. Her daughter from the first marriage warned her about the dangers of talking to ex-husbands and old boyfriends and she mentioned that to me. I shut it down immediately. I said, "Put her mind at ease. I would never jeopardize my marriage. This is just an old friend giving you support."

I have not heard from her ever since. It was kind of surreal because I know she was fishing to see if I was still there.

I can easily imagine that there can be issues with things like this simply because of this circumstance.