Facebook Linked To One In Five Divorces in the United States

joseephuss

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3862722 said:
Living together says, "I will live here with you until it is not fun or convenient, until you bore me, if we grow apart, if we hit a rough patch, or until someone better comes along."

Living together can also say, "I will live here until as a preparation to make that life long commitment instead of just rushing into marriage because we don't want to end up in a divorce."

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3863094 said:
true, but there is still some stigma associated with living together, so it makes sense that those who are willing to cohabitat are also less likely to see divorce as an evil thing.

That may be the real problem. There's no stigma any longer and it's just accepted. It's too convenient to get a divorce and there no longer is the incentive to work things out. I'm not saying divorce should never be an option but I think getting divorced over small petty things is ridiculous.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WV Cowboy;3862722 said:
Living together says, "I will live here with you until it is not fun or convenient, until you bore me, if we grow apart, if we hit a rough patch, or until someone better comes along."
My wife and I lived together for 15 months before we got married. At that time money was very tight for us and it just didn't make sense to have 2 electric bills, 2 cable bills, pay for 2 apartments and so on.

Before we moved in together we were not engaged. We both suspected we would get married however. It wasn't the best of situations and I'm sure both sets of parents groaned but understood our situation. I am happy to say we have been married over 13 years now.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3863466 said:
My wife and I lived together for 15 months before we got married. At that time money was very tight for us and it just didn't make sense to have 2 electric bills, 2 cable bills, pay for 2 apartments and so on.

Before we moved in together we were not engaged. We both suspected we would get married however. It wasn't the best of situations and I'm sure both sets of parents groaned but understood our situation. I am happy to say we have been married over 13 years now.

Gratz on 13 years!

Marriage is a spiritual thing. Some people have stricter views of it. WV is obviously one of them. I myself don't believe marriage is necessary at all. I love my wife and don't need a piece of paper to tell me it's true. I got married because my wife wanted too and I love her and want her to be happy.

DFWJC

Reaction score
VietCowboy;3863094 said:
true, but there is still some stigma associated with living together, so it makes sense that those who are willing to cohabitat are also less likely to see divorce as an evil thing. those less likely to cohabitat may also be less likely to divorce, but that doesn't guarantee that their marriage is successful. I know too many couples who stay married and are miserable.
That has to be at least part of it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
nyc;3863471 said:
Gratz on 13 years!

Marriage is a spiritual thing. Some people have stricter views of it. WV is obviously one of them. I myself don't believe marriage is necessary at all. I love my wife and don't need a piece of paper to tell me it's true. I got married because my wife wanted too and I love her and want her to be happy.

And the shotgun pointed at you :laugh1:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
nyc;3863429 said:
Living together is living together married or not.

My wife and I lived together for well over a year before we got married. The only thing that actually changed once we got married. I now wear a ring. I never wore any type of jewelry prior to this. Well, one other thing now happens. We now have another day (besides the day we met) that we celebrated as an anniversary.

lol

My wife and I did not intend on getting married. We made our commitments to each other and began planning our future together. We lived like this for five years. Her father got sick and didn't have long for this world. I thought it would be good for him to see his daughter "walk down the aisle" so to speak so we got married albeit in an unconventional way.

We lived together for five years before we got married. Absolutley nothing has changed in our relationship. I told her going in I would not wear a ring. I simply don't wear jewlery. I offered to tattoo "property of ...." anywhere on my body she wanted. She kept her maiden name.

Never been one for doing things just because "that's the way you are supposed too". Going through that dog and pony show doesn't make one difference in a persons character and commitment. You either have/are or you don't have/aren't. Some ceremony will never change that.

Every so often I give my wife a half hour to decide if she still wants me. If she says no in that half hour I leave with my bike a guitar a fishing pole and my clothes and she keeps everything we have worked to build.

So far so good!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Vtwin;3863567 said:
Every so often I give my wife a half hour to decide if she still wants me. If she says no in that half hour I leave with my bike a guitar a fishing pole and my clothes and she keeps everything we have worked to build.

My wife tells me, "If you don't want me, someone else will." I reply to that with "SOLD!" :laugh2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I don't get the point of FB and have never registered there. If I don't care about tracking down old classmates or co-workers, and I don't want people to know where I'm working, living, or what I'm up to these days, is there any reason to subscribe?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
bbgun;3863586 said:
I don't get the point of FB and have never registered there. If I don't care about tracking down old classmates or co-workers, and I don't want people to know where I'm working, living, or what I'm up to these days, is there any reason to subscribe?

Do they let you have internet when you are in the witness protection program?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bbgun;3863586 said:

Obtain viruses, spam, and to locate people to cheat on your spouse with. :laugh2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3863593 said:
Do they let you have internet when you are in the witness protection program?

Guess I'm just not vain enough.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
bbgun;3863597 said:
Guess I'm just not vain enough.

Facebook might be vain if you are a high school kid, but it has nothing to do with vanity for most adults.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;3863586 said:
Of course not. Is anyone holding a gun to your head to subscribe?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3863612 said:
Of course not. Is anyone holding a gun to your head to subscribe?

Who said anything about guns or coercion? I wanted to know what people's motivations were for subscribing, and so far, they seem pretty superficial.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
bbgun;3863616 said:
Who said anything about guns or coercion? I wanted to know what people's motivations were for subscribing, and so far, they seem pretty superficial.

I had no interest in it myself.

I set up an account to keep in touch with friends I've made while traveling around the country on my bike. I have found some old friends from back in the day and some have found me.

I'm glad I finally caved....

CoCo

Reaction score
I sure don't believe that living together for however long is going to prove your compatability. You will face many different challenges throughout life that you have no understanding about until they arrive. It will reveal things about yourself & spouse you didn't know.

So maybe for some it helps give insight into that current phase of life but most folks with kids will tell you that life totally changes once you have kids, or when someone goes through hell at work, or has a family member pass, or become depressed or turn 30, or 40, or 50, or whatever.

The most joyous times of my marriage to this point (26 years in) were our early years. Hardly any adjustment it was all good. Her toothpaste habits didn't start bugging me until the rest of life ramped up. 4 kids, financial intensity, tough work life, getting older etc. I've had to grow up more in the last few years than ever before and I'm still working on it.

I guess we didn't need living together because we did a good job of being real with one another from the start. I wouldn't mess with a relationship in any other manner. I'm very direct with those I'm invested in. But I get that some do it differently.

As an aside, I am getting a bit of a kick out of those who insist living together helps prove compatability even when the stats say otherwise.