Facebook Linked To One In Five Divorces in the United States

jimmy40

Reaction score
that's like blaming divorce on a telephone instead of the people on it.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
jimmy40;3862584 said:
that's like blaming divorce on a telephone instead of the people on it.

Remember party lines?

:lmao2:

When I was a little kid we shared the phone line w/ like 4 neighbors.

It was hilarious. I would listen in ALL THE TIME and the neighbors HATED me because I knew everything about them and they could nearly never catch me picking up and hanging up the line.

I was NINJA partyliner. AWESOME

jimmy40

Reaction score
Dallas;3862597 said:
Remember party lines?

:lmao2:

When I was a little kid we shared the phone line w/ like 4 neighbors.

It was hilarious. I would listen in ALL THE TIME and the neighbors HATED me because I knew everything about them and they could nearly never catch me picking up and hanging up the line.

I was NINJA partyliner. AWESOME

:laugh2: holy crap, I haven't thought about those in forever.

DFWJC

Reaction score
As far as the discussion about living together or not....stats show that the odds of staying together drastically DECREASE (I've read 80% greater risk of divorce with a min of 50% greater risk) if you live togther first.. Look it up.

I'm not saying to do it or not to do it...just saying facts are fact.

My wife and I moved in together after we were engaged, so that was still living together before marriage.

-----------
Discovery Health:
"Divorce Myth: Living together before marriage is a good way to reduce the chances of eventually divorcing.

Fact: Many studies have found that those who live together before marriage have a considerably higher chance of eventually divorcing. The reasons for this are not well understood. In part, the type of people who are willing to cohabit may also be those who are more willing to divorce. There is some evidence that the act of cohabitation itself generates attitudes in people that are more conducive to divorce, for example the attitude that relationships are temporary and easily can be ended."

--------
Fowler Report:
"Couples who do marry after living together are 50% more likely to divorce than those who did not."

---------

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I have a strong passion for marriage, .. I wish everyone could enjoy a happy successful marriage. I really do, I hate that there are so many divorces.

Marriage is a commitment. A life-long commitment.

Marriage is promising to love one another and stick together through thick and thin, for better or worse, rich or poor, good or bad, healthy or sick, .. whatever happens.

Marriage says, "I will be there for you, .. I will promise to be there for you in front of God, family and friends."

Living together is not a commitment. Living together is playing house with one foot in the door, and one foot out.

Living together says, "I will live here with you until it is not fun or convenient, until you bore me, if we grow apart, if we hit a rough patch, or until someone better comes along."

I would even bet that being married is different than living together, for those that have done both.

It is not up to me to tell someone to get married or live together, but whichever you choose, I wish you a life-long relationship.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
DFWJC;3862671 said:
As far as the discussion about living together or not....stats show that the odds of staying together drastically DECREASE (I've read 80% greater risk of divorce with a min of 50% greater risk) if you live togther first.. Look it up.

I'm not saying to do it or not to do it...just saying facts are fact.

My wife and I moved in together after we were engaged, so that was still living together before marriage.

-----------
Discovery Health:
"Divorce Myth: Living together before marriage is a good way to reduce the chances of eventually divorcing.

Fact: Many studies have found that those who live together before marriage have a considerably higher chance of eventually divorcing. The reasons for this are not well understood. In part, the type of people who are willing to cohabit may also be those who are more willing to divorce. There is some evidence that the act of cohabitation itself generates attitudes in people that are more conducive to divorce, for example the attitude that relationships are temporary and easily can be ended."

--------
Fowler Report:
"Couples who do marry after living together are 50% more likely to divorce than those who did not."

---------

Yeah I'm not sure I believe those stats aren't manipulated somehow. I thought up a good way to do it before but I forgot it now.

Anyway people are weird. Why would you get married if you're going to cheat?

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3862722 said:
I have a strong passion for marriage, .. I wish everyone could enjoy a happy successful marriage. I really do, I hate that there are so many divorces.

Marriage is a commitment. A life-long commitment.

Marriage is promising to love one another and stick together through thick and thin, for better or worse, rich or poor, good or bad, healthy or sick, .. whatever happens.

Marriage says, "I will be there for you, .. I will promise to be there for you in front of God, family and friends."

Living together is not a commitment. Living together is playing house with one foot in the door, and one foot out.

Living together says, "I will live here with you until it is not fun or convenient, until you bore me, if we grow apart, if we hit a rough patch, or until someone better comes along."

I would even bet that being married is different than living together, for those that have done both.

It is not up to me to tell someone to get married or live together, but whichever you choose, I wish you a life-long relationship.

Wisdom in full display.

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
So basically Facebook has replaced the AOL and Yahoo chat rooms as a good source of income for divorce lawyers. :rolleyes:

DFWJC

Reaction score
baj1dallas;3862851 said:
Yeah I'm not sure I believe those stats aren't manipulated somehow. I thought up a good way to do it before but I forgot it now.

Anyway people are weird. Why would you get married if you're going to cheat?
Tell me about it.

As for the stats. I doubt they're made up seeing that every study ever done seems to come up with similar conclusions. There are no studies thating otherwise--even those run by people hoping they would. Bottomline: Those that live together before marriage have a far greater chance of divorcing than those that don't. That does not mean that millions that have done so have gone on to be great married couples.

In either case, I just think everyone should do what they feel comfortable with...no agenda here.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Without having read the whole story, and not knowing for sure how much of Facebook use is actually a "link" to the divorce, I would have guessed that the number is higher.

We ask just about every client who comes into the office if there are any compromising pictures or other information on their spouses facebook/******* pages.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're trying to support or argue against my point with the stats, but I don't have a problem with them. I never said that living together means you'll have a long lasting marriage. What I said was that living together is a lot different from dating, and that I recommend it prior to marriage. I stand by what Cajun Cowboy said....if you can't live together you weren't really in love in the first place.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3862722 said:

This is total BS.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
DFWJC;3862984 said:
Tell me about it.

As for the stats. I doubt they're made up seeing that every study ever done seems to come up with similar conclusions. There are no studies thating otherwise--even those run by people hoping they would. Bottomline: Those that live together before marriage have a far greater chance of divorcing than those that don't. That does not mean that millions that have done so have gone on to be great married couples.

In either case, I just think everyone should do what they feel comfortable with...no agenda here.

true, but there is still some stigma associated with living together, so it makes sense that those who are willing to cohabitat are also less likely to see divorce as an evil thing. those less likely to cohabitat may also be less likely to divorce, but that doesn't guarantee that their marriage is successful. I know too many couples who stay married and are miserable.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3863094 said:
true, but there is still some stigma associated with living together, so it makes sense that those who are willing to cohabitat are also less likely to see divorce as an evil thing. those less likely to cohabitat may also be less likely to divorce, but that doesn't guarantee that their marriage is successful. I know too many couples who stay married and are miserable.

That reminds me: I gotta give mom and dad a call.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3862722 said:

CowboyDan;3863043 said:
This is total BS.

In some instances I'm sure you are absolutely correct, .. but in most cases, .. it is pretty much spot on.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I have a fb page and my wife doesn't but I don't put anything on it that she would find offensive or talk about her on it. It's for me to connect with friends and family nothing more. If she asked me to shut it down I wouldn't have a problem with it.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3863282 said:
In some instances I'm sure you are absolutely correct, .. but in most cases, .. it is pretty much spot on.

Not sure how you arrive at this conclusion, but I don't really care. The fact is that you have no idea how many instances apply to your theory. But whatever makes you feel good....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3863282 said:

Living together is living together married or not.

My wife and I lived together for well over a year before we got married. The only thing that actually changed once we got married. I now wear a ring. I never wore any type of jewelry prior to this. Well, one other thing now happens. We now have another day (besides the day we met) that we celebrated as an anniversary.