Facebook Parenting: For the Troubled Teen

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
I can't link to it for language related reasons, but if you do a search on YouTube using this thread's title it'll pop up.

Hannah, in my opinion, was a brat who just entered the world of where actions have consequences. Hopefully she'll be aching to get a job so she can get out of the house.

Others will assuredly disagree with the father's way of reaching his daughter, but he sure has her attention now.

suspenceman

Jerry's kid
Reaction score
i saw it. I kinda feel like the daughter acts that way because her dad reacted that way haha. I don't think the dad was wrong, but just didnt handle the situation like an adult. I feel like he just wanted to make a splash and get his 15 minutes of fame...

rkell87

Reaction score
that was awesome though it sounds like the child already resents her parents so this will probably just enhance those feelings.

every chore sounded reasonable except I do agree with the child about having to do the flowerbed. Yard work is fine and necessary but flowerbeds are not and the tedious work of maintaining one should not be passed on to your kids(though I am fine with forced enlistment of your kids help as long as you are willing to do the work too).

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
CHECK YOUR CHILD'S FACEBOOK ACCOUNT...

I can promise you that you have NO idea what is going on there...

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
trickblue;4413526 said:

One of my friends young children added me as a friend, which is fine. I told her mom to block her from seeing my posts on her wall, though! ;)

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Re: this video

This was posted on a friend's FB wall yesterday and one of his friends posted a comment that sums up how I felt about it:

A little more empathy and a little less enmity would go a long way for this father. While I believe he has good intentions it is clear he had a troubled childhood leaving home so young, and doesn't have a clue how to be a authoritative and supportive parent. To be clear I think his daughter should have repercussions for her actions. I just don't agree with his approach.

Did anyone else notice that he doesn't have a single positive thing to say about his daughter in this video. It has been shown in many studies that children who constantly hear that they're lazy and stupid tend to act that way. Just as the opposite is true.

A child that hears, "I don't understand why you haven't returned the job application, you're motivated and hard working I expected you'd have done that by now." Is more likely to subsequently complete the task than one that hears, "You lazy *******. I can't believe how incompetent you are. You can't even complete this application that I dropped in your lap you useless waste of space. You're grounded."

The only way his daughter is ever going to turn out to be a functioning adult is if she grows to resent her father so much that she does leave home and strike out on her own so she can develop a sense of self worth and realize that she isn't the lazy, worthless, spoiled brat her father says she is.
And one more that I found insightful:

I have three kids, 20, 17, and ten. Raising teenagers is tough, but it doesnt need to look anything like this. My boys are respectful, intelligent, independent, hard working, and driven to succeed. Guess what? Never once did I need to humiliate them in order to acheive that end result.

The only purpose of this video was to cause this child social humiliation and pain. I can promise that she will not learn a valuable lesson from any of this and it will NOT make her a better person.

In a world where we constantly post links to the latest news article where yet another child or teen has committed suicide due to pressure, bullying, or humiliation how can anyone defend this behavior from the parent? Attending a funeral with my 12 year old son and watching the tears shed in a room full of children that lost a classmate is a lesson I will never forget.

This is bullying plain and simple. Worse yet, its coming from the person this child should be able to trust.

If this is how this parent deals with issues when it comes to his daughter I can imagine that she did need a release and reached out to her friends via social networking for some support. Shes clearly not getting support on the home front.

What is the big crime here anyway? That a teenager said some mean things about her parent? I bet Ive been called many many names by my boys. That's ok. I'm the adult and I can take it. It doesn't mean that they hate me, or that they don't respect me. It means they are teenagers. This was an outrageous and ridiculous OVER reaction to typical teenager behavior from a bullying parent.

Remember people....you can set limits and guide your kids through love and patience too. It works. And I can promise you what you see in this video DOES NOT.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he should have made the video but just showed it to his daughter while in the confines of their own home instead of putting it on the internet.

Other than that I don't have a problem with what he did.

However I will say it was pretty stupid to shoot the laptop. That is money he spent that went for nothing.

I would have showed a video to the girl of him selling it to someone or dropping it off at a salvation army or other thrift shop.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The guy is an idiot.

Shooting the laptop? I can only imagine was terrible things he does to his daughter if he thinks it's reasonable to shoot a laptop to make a point. Humiliating your child in front of everyone is an absolute no-no. This can have serious repercussions on your child's mental health.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
I clicked on the link expecting to be entertained, but came away feeling embarrassed for the guy.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I have no issues with what this guy did. The likelihood is that he bought the laptop. He spent the money to upgrade it. He obviously pays the Internet bill and he makes sure the brat is safe. And then she decides to take those resources and berate the parents to her friends and do so on a public forum. Further she was punished before for similar actions and she didn't learn her lesson from that.

All this BS about embarrassing the kid may lead to other issues, please. More than likely she will learn a lesson from this and remember it and possibly pass on to her kids the same lesson which is RESPECT.

And posting this on her facebook wall is perfect. The very people who she embarrassed her parents in front of now see the consequences of her actions and might think twice about doing the same thing.

And by the way, both my kids have FB accounts and they have given me their passwords.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4413600 said:
All this BS about embarrassing the kid may lead to other issues, please. More than likely she will learn a lesson from this and remember it and possibly pass on to her kids the same lesson which is RESPECT.

And posting this on her facebook wall is perfect. The very people who she embarrassed her parents in front of now see the consequences of her actions and might think twice about doing the same thing.

And by the way, both my kids have FB accounts and they have given me their passwords.

You would be wrong. Kids have a temperament when they are born. That temperament doesn't change. (being intro/extro-verted) Now, who they are and how they view life is formed during their childhood. If your child is continuously embarrassed, it will help form an outlook with a low self-esteem. This is extremely harmful for both ambition in life and your child's ability to openly interact with other people without fear of embarrassing.

You should step back and reevaluate the repercussions of your actions. There is nothing wrong with being strict with your children, but you must measure it. You can take it too far and causing public embarrassing is not the way to do it.

If a child does something that ends up embarrasses themselves, then they should accept that and learn from it. When someone embarrasses them, it's an attack on their psyche and a direct shot at their self-esteem.

What you are teaching is not respect. It's fear. Respect is something that happens naturally. People fear repercussions. Respect is admiration. (something they do on their own) You never admire someone you fear.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
trickblue;4413526 said:

My runt doesn't have one. The closest thing he has is his youtube account and he stopped frapsn and posting games on it a long time ago. The other thing he does is play on Mincraft white list servers and annoys the hell out of people.

I am sorry for my son PK'n you while you mine for ore folks. Check your squad, he's always dressed as you. ;)

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4413627 said:
You would be wrong. Everyone is born with a natural temperament that does not change in life.

Have to disagree with you on this one, Sam...

My father was very high-strung and hot-tempered in his 20's and 30's...

From his late 30's on he was very mellow and laid back...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
trickblue;4413638 said:

I referred to temperament as "introverted and extroverted". (see Briggs-Meyer) I noted that, just beyond where you snipped my quote.

Your temperament and what I was referring to are two different things. My point is introverted people never become extroverted people. (and vise versa)

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4413633 said:
You would be wrong. Kids have a temperament when they are born. That temperament doesn't change. (being intro/extro-verted) Now, who they are and how they view life is formed during their childhood. If your child is continuously embarrassed, it will help form an outlook with a low self-esteem. This is extremely harmful for both ambition in life and your child's ability to openly interact with other people without fear of embarrassing.

You should step back and reevaluate the repercussions of your actions. There is nothing wrong with being strict with your children, but you must measure it. You can take it too far and causing public embarrassing is not the way to do it.

If a child does something that ends up embarrasses themselves, then they should accept that and learn from it. When someone embarrasses them, it's an attack on their psyche and a direct shot at their self-esteem.

What you are teaching is not respect. It's fear. Respect is something that happens naturally. People fear repercussions. Respect is admiration. You never admire someone you fear.

To a degree. Im no fan of folks throwing fear out as if that is what the parent is seeking. Just because a parent wishes to use a certain consequence in punishiment, shouldn't make the child fear them if it is done only to correct. For example my father and mother used to use corporal punishment on us 3 boys growing up. My mom had to. We would try to run over here all day if she didn't. That's just the way my brothers and I were, but we never feared them, we just didn't want the switch or the belt, though I prefered the belt all day to the switch.

Boundaries have to be set at an early age and some kids do not react at all to time outs and things being taken away and quiet times given.

Sometimes.....SOMETIMES Mr. Willow needs to make an appearance to set the tone.

I got no issue w/ parents using a a bit of in your face correctness to get the child to come around to reason.

Some kids are just spoiled and are lost early because the parent is to busy w/ whatever to pay them any mind. Then the parent wonders why they get bad grades and caught up in bad activities at 13-14-15.

You don't get 10 years to screw up as a parent. Its work from day one and an attention to your childs needs and structure in his/her world.

There is nothing closer than my son's relationship with me. He does however know that after a couple of times to fix the situation, I will go full on DADMODE in a heart second. He also knows I love him and I am his friend and he can turn to me anytime for guideance and support and I will be there, but I am his FATHER first in everything.

I always give him a couple of chances to fix what is wrong before having to result to any punishment. By managing him this way, we rarely have problems with his behavior or grades or his respect for others, nor has there been an need for some physical adjustment for about 5 years now.

Rules of our home
  • Respect your elders and they will respect you
  • Respect yourself - don't be a follower and or some sheep - set an example
  • Compassion for others but don't take any BS from anyone
  • Take care of your mental lists (am I missing anything before leaving - do I have my homework - backpack-snowpants etc)
  • Do your chores and clean up after yourself everywhere (bedroom-kitchen-bathroom)
Reagan has done extremely will with these tiny things to use to help manage his responsibilities. By my being consistent about it since he was able to understand it, I have a wonderful 11 year that I couldnt be more proud of.

We ask them to do better all of the time. Parents need to do better as well.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
trickblue;4413638 said:

That is true. I was and can still be hot-tempered. I know I have that short coming and I work on it all of the time.

I am 40 **IMA MAN ;) ** and it isn't nearly as bad as it was in my 20's and early 30's.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Dallas;4413669 said:
Reagan has done extremely will with these tiny things to use to help manage his responsibilities. By my being consistent about it since he was able to understand it, I have a wonderful 11 year that I couldnt be more proud of.

You named your kid Reagan?

You are AWESOME.

I've tried to convince my wife of the merits of the name, but she's not having it.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4413752 said:
You named your kid Reagan?

You are AWESOME.

I've tried to convince my wife of the merits of the name, but she's not having it.

My friend's baby is named Reagan, but she's a girl.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Faerluna;4413797 said:
My friend's baby is named Reagan, but she's a girl.

Yeah, that comes up on occasion. He loves his name but at the same time, he has to constantly correct any substitute teacher who doesn't know him.

Thank you SC :)

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4413633 said:

What you are teaching is not respect. It's fear. Respect is something that happens naturally. People fear repercussions. Respect is admiration. (something they do on their own) You never admire someone you fear.

Couldn't be more wrong. First you don't know that they are "Constantly embarrassing" her. As far as you or anyone else knows, this is the first this father has done that.

Second, THAT IS teaching them to respect you. If they feel they can run all over you with no consequence you will have no obedience and no respect.

Third, I feared my dad and he was the person I most admired in life.

And finally, if the child acted in a way that was publicly embarrassing to you and it seems like this wasn't the first time it happened, then if she gets a little red faced over it in front of her friends so be it. I highly doubt she is going to be scarred for life over it.

People make way too much of this kind of thing in today's world. Too many people have been baffled with psycho babble and think they are all Sigmund Freud where the truth is, the parent generally knows the best way to handle their kids.