Facebook Parenting: For the Troubled Teen

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4414369 said:
When having to choose between siding with a working adult or a fifteen year old girl, I'll take the adult and be right just about every single time.

even when the adult is a moron?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4414373 said:
blech. What do adults know? Though some do know an awful lot. like hw to parent a kid they never met and decide to pass judgement on a parent who actually knows the kid. But the child is always right. :lmao:

Man some of these parents and parents in waiting have a lot to look forward to.

The problem I have with what he did was it was somewhat childish as well. He could have enforced the same consequences without publically humiliating a fifteen year old girl who will likely use this as an excuse to act out further in the future because she now resents her father even more.

He was angry, understandly so, but the difference between adults and children is the way in which they deal with anger, dissapointment and responsibility. He was justified in everything he said, but not in the way he said it.

Me and my wife will both have no reservations about throwing around our weight as parents one day. I have no problem with spanking, grouding, even elaborate displays of discipline...but within the controlled confines of one's home.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4414380 said:
The problem I have with what he did was it was somewhat childish as well. He could have enforced the same consequences without publically humiliating a fifteen year old girl who will likely use this as an excuse to act out further in the future because she now resents her father even more.

He was angry, understandly so, but the difference between adults and children is the way in which they deal with anger, dissapointment and responsibility. He was justified in everything he said, but not in the way he said it.

Me and my wife will both have no reservations about throwing around our weight as parents one day. I have no problem with spanking, grouding, even elaborate displays of discipline...but within the controlled confines of one's home.

At least he didn't do it in front of her. I think he made his point very succinctly. And considering he tried other methods and they obviously didn't work, I think he was well within his parental rights to do this.

Now no one asked the question would I have done the same thing. I probably wouldn't have. But I am not judging him a bad parent for doing it since I do not live in that house and I do not see what other trouble this girl has caused.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4414376 said:
even when the adult is a moron?

I don't agree that he is a moron, but even if he was...a hardworking, responsible moron is still far more reliable and trustworthy than a teenage girl. I've had dogs I'd rely on more than the average American teenager.

I was a relatively well-behaved, responsible teenager in my youth. I never had a run in with the law, never did drugs, worked full-time for three years, spent a reasonable amount of time with my family and rarely had big fights with my parents...and I still wouldnt trust 16 year old me now.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4414383 said:
At least he didn't do it in front of her. I think he made his point very succinctly. And considering he tried other methods and they obviously didn't work, I think he was well within his parental rights to do this.

Now no one asked the question would I have done the same thing. I probably wouldn't have. But I am not judging him a bad parent for doing it since I do not live in that house and I do not see what other trouble this girl has caused.

I absolutely believe he was within his rights. He destroyed his own property, did nothing illegal and did no physical or undue emotional harm to his child. I just think he could have been better served seeing this display on video herself, without the millions of outside viewers. The purpose should be to cause her to rethink her actions in the future, not to humiliate her into submission IMO.

I also thinkdon't think he's a bad parent. A bad parent would have either done nothing and taken it or physically beaten their child. He did neither, and I'm sure he left his mark. It may not work out like he hoped, but he isnt "bad"...just misguided I think.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4414390 said:
I absolutely believe he was within his rights. He destroyed his own property, did nothing illegal and did no physical or undue emotional harm to his child. I just think he could have been better served seeing this display on video herself, without the millions of outside viewers. The purpose should be to cause her to rethink her actions in the future, not to humiliate her into submission IMO.

I also thinkdon't think he's a bad parent. A bad parent would have either done nothing and taken it or physically beaten their child. He did neither, and I'm sure he left his mark. It may not work out like he hoped, but he isnt "bad"...just misguided I think.

Maybe all the outside views will make her see that the majority of people think she is wrong and rethink her position.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jwitten82;4414385 said:
It doesnt do anything

Funny that this phrase is usually uttered by those least equipped to speak on the matter. It's like listening to an accountent debate the merits of chemotherapy despite never taking so much as a single science course.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4414375 said:
At the risk of derailing this thread even moreso, in what universe is saying you'll pray for someone "religious propaganda"? It's a kind gesture, only an incredibly arrogant, bitter individual would take their disbelief this far.

The way in which he used the phrase in this thread was condescending, but that is an entirely seperate issue.

So it was a kind but condescending gesture? Only a incredibly arrogant, bitter individual would find a way to rationalize the two.

jwitten82

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4414393 said:
Funny that this phrase is usually uttered by those least equipped to speak on the matter. It's like listening to an accountent debate the merits of chemotherapy despite never taking so much as a single science course.
:laugh2: Please show some evidence that it works

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;4414395 said:
So it was a kind but condescending gesture? Only a incredibly arrogant, bitter individual would find a way to rationalize the two.

You'd think his acknowledging it as an entirely separate issue would be sufficient evidence he isn't trying to reconcile the two, no?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Just adding that disregarding a mod's nice request to stop is duly noted...

None of you will get a pass from here on in...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;4414365 said:
He has a long history of posting his religious propaganda. This forum is christian based, so i do understand the turning of the deaf ear to those type of offenses.

and on a final note... this forum is in NO way Christian based...

The mods here stretch from Christian to Agnostic to Atheist...

There are many shots at religion on this board that get no infractions, so spare me...

We are a family friendly board by choice and it is based on no religious dogma, but rather common decency decided by the staff...