Fake Punt was worst call by a pro staff ever

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
seriously 4 point game, 12mions left 4th QTR,, defense playing well, inside our own 30, and fake punt that basically ruined the game, season, and you can see the team and defense give up. The air just went out of the building, out of the players and the route happened all because of one call....

who calls this play at that time? did fassell have cart blanche or did MM allow this?

i was all for giving the team , the coaching staff and players a mulligan for 2020,

now i want to see some firings, if MM doesn't fire fassell, then the entire staff is gone Monday morning..

im shell shocked, have version of football PTSD when this call happened i thought i drank and ate far too much, allice in wonderland type shock..it could not have been more of shock to see a professional staff do something in that situation that not one other coach would have done and then have the player run vs throw..!!!

to me its the worse call ive ever witnessed in my 50plus years on earth or 40years watching football..ughh:popcorn::huh::facepalm:

we still would have lost.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You blokes see that fake punt as a point of no return for Big Mac and his clown coaches.
Jerry just sees it as a failed play.
That is a big difference as to why we will see the same sorry staff through 2021.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree it was a terrible call. But after watching the replay; it was nearly successful.

After Cedrick Wilson came back around the left side, punter Hunter Niswander whiffed a on a block on the Washington defender that tackled him. I know he's just a punter, but at 6'3, 240 pounds he could have at least made an effort to get in the way. If he had, Wilson not only would have gotten the first down; it's possible he might have scored.

But getting back to the OP; it was an absolutely horrible call given the score and the field position.
It looked like Niswander was maybe expecting the ball? He looked back after the poor block attempt. The communication was horrible and execution was even worse.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's not the point, though. And we'll never know because we took ourselves out with calls like that. Would've been nice to see how it played out without the nonsense.
We suck buddy. Some of you guys just can’t seem to accept that. Top 5 pick coming. I’ll be happy for you.

lockster

Reaction score
Tha
We suck buddy. Some of you guys just can’t seem to accept that. Top 5 pick coming. I’ll be happy for you.
T top 5 pick is why I laugh at these games and fat Mike . I bet he draws up the percentages of successful plays on his plate while he eats all day in his office. ;). I'm hoping it gets so bad that we can get another head coach. I will say, I think the offensive line coach is pulling a rabbit out of his booty keeping this line together.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
seriously 4 point game, 12mions left 4th QTR,, defense playing well, inside our own 30, and fake punt that basically ruined the game, season, and you can see the team and defense give up. The air just went out of the building, out of the players and the route happened all because of one call....

who calls this play at that time? did fassell have cart blanche or did MM allow this?

i was all for giving the team , the coaching staff and players a mulligan for 2020,

now i want to see some firings, if MM doesn't fire fassell, then the entire staff is gone Monday morning..

im shell shocked, have version of football PTSD when this call happened i thought i drank and ate far too much, allice in wonderland type shock..it could not have been more of shock to see a professional staff do something in that situation that not one other coach would have done and then have the player run vs throw..!!!

to me its the worse call ive ever witnessed in my 50plus years on earth or 40years watching football..ughh:popcorn::huh::facepalm:

the call was bad but our defense was not playing good lmao. Whole team was playing like the trash it is.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dallas is trying to clean up its act...

giphy.gif

Just have the wrong tools!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
seriously 4 point game, 12mions left 4th QTR,, defense playing well, inside our own 30, and fake punt that basically ruined the game, season, and you can see the team and defense give up
Isn’t the best time to run a fake in some of the least likeliest times you should do it?

That’s the problem with taking risks. It’s a great call when it works and a horrible call when it doesn’t. Had the play been successful we’d be claiming it was brilliant and we had a coach “playing to win”.

Londonboy

Reaction score
It wasn't even the worst play call in the game.
At least it had a recognizable purpose and an achievable goal, it was just a massive gamble with not enough upside and far too much downside.

That trick reverse doo-dad WR throw-up option play on the WFT 6 yard line on 2nd down was stupidity personified.
The whole porpoise of that kind of trick play is to suck defenders towards the LOS so that You can throw it behind 'em for a big chunk, There was no way it was EVER going to work in that field position with no room behind the defenders to leak into.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

What do hyperbole mean?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It wasn't even the worst play call in the game.
At least it had a recognizable purpose and an achievable goal, it was just a massive gamble with not enough upside and far too much downside.

That trick reverse doo-dad WR throw-up option play on the WFT 6 yard line on 2nd down was stupidity personified.
The whole porpoise of that kind of trick play is to suck defenders towards the LOS so that You can throw it behind 'em for a big chunk, There was no way it was EVER going to work in that field position with no room behind the defenders to leak into.

The point of that particular trick play was for the defense to go after the ball carrier and ignore the QB going out for a pass.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You just don’t have the ability to see the entirety of what’s going on with the team.
sorry man you are wrong this time they had no reason to make those calls..4 point game it was under control with 12mins let to play..it was the worst play call ive ever witnessed in that situation..stop living in the cloud i was the voice of reason and trying to be upbeat all year, im done. Thats a fireable offense if ive ever seen one..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes they were bad calls. I’ve said that like 4 times already. But they had no chance in winning this game after losing their LT and RT in the 1st quarter. Coaches new it and their only chance was Hail Mary type plays.
sorry man you are wrong this time they had no reason to make those calls..4 poit game it was under control with 12mins let to play..it was the worst play call ive ever witnessed in that situation..stop living in the cloud i was the voice of reason and trying to be upbeat all year, im done. Thats a fireable offense if ive ever seen one..

garyv

Reaction score

I totally agree and the reason is what part of the field you are at and were down by a TD. That is a call you are rolling the entire game on....if you make it than your driving down to tie if you miss it they take a two score lead. There was 12 minutes left in the quarter there was no reason to take that risk at that time in the game in that field position. I love being aggressive and love Bones aggression but horrible time to do it it was just a bad play call and really destroyed any chance they had in the game. Bones is going to have to get his ego under control and be more realistic in the fakes.