Falcons ST coach should be fired

tyke1doe

Reaction score
you need a training camp to know basic football rules?
Yes. Some guys are playing special teams for the first time. Also, how often do you see onsides kicks? Not very often comparatively speaking.
Also, some things aren't activated in times of stress unless you've developed muscle memory. You would think people would know to hit back when someone is attacking you. But unless you practice punching and drilling it into your muscle memory, you resort to what you've always done.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Details?! I was aware of the 10 yard rule when I first stared playing in 4th grade and I’m not even exaggerating.
Just because you KNOW something doesn't mean you'll do it under pressure.
Guys KNOW not to jump off sides. But unless you continuously practice staying set until the ball is hiked, you're likely to jump offsides at a critical, pressure-filled moment in the game.
That's why you practice over and over again.
And teams likely don't spend a lot of time on onside kicks. So I think it's easy to forget what to do at a pressure-filled moment, ESPECIALLY if you don't have time to practice special teams and practice THAT play.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah that was utterly baffling. Somehow MULTIPLE Falcons failed to realize they could snatch that ball anytime they wanted
It's not that they didn't think they could touch it. They knew it had to go 10 yards before our guys could touch it, and they didn't think it was going to, so they didn't want to risk muffing a ball that was spinning like that. Once it was obvious that it was going to go 10 yards, they should've dove on it before our guys did, but that only gave them a split second, once it kicked into overdrive. At least that's my perception of what happened.

Alweezy

Reaction score
However if you allow the ball to go 10 yards you give the kicking team an opportunity to recover it and that’s what happened. The ball was helicoptering across the ground and could have easily been recovered by the Falcons well before it went 10 yards. It’s obvious they thought they had to allow the ball to go 10 yards first. The kicking team has to allow the ball to go 10 yards before it can be recovered not the receiving team.

I think after watching the replay that I don't think all of the Falcons weren't aware. But more like they were trained or coached not to touch the ball and let a hands guy do this part. So I think someone on the hands side of things didn't call the ball or make a play on the ball and that's what led to the confusion.

The only guy on Atlanta that legit could have just made a football play, and picked up the ball with good positioning on the initial kick and ended the game was #87 on the Falcons. And that probably wasn't his job to do all that. He clearly ran right past the ball to shield the Cowboys players instead of ending the game.

I think once 87 didn't go for the rock then and there, and Julio wasn't diving in to get it, it opened up the chance for us. In real time that was also a weird kick and bounce and ideal blocking.. Probably couldn't do that kick again even if you tried to do it. That was perfectly executed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think after watching the replay that I don't think all of the Falcons weren't aware. But more like they were trained or coached not to touch the ball and let a hands guy do this part. So I think someone on the hands side of things didn't call the ball or make a play on the ball and that's what led to the confusion.

The only guy on Atlanta that legit could have just made a football play, and picked up the ball with good positioning on the initial kick and ended the game was #87 on the Falcons. And that probably wasn't his job to do all that. He clearly ran right past the ball to shield the Cowboys players instead of ending the game.

I think once 87 didn't go for the rock then and there, and Julio wasn't diving in to get it, it opened up the chance for us. In real time that was also a weird kick and bounce and ideal blocking.. Probably couldn't do that kick again even if you tried to do it. That was perfectly executed.

Whatever happened we’re lucky we were playing a team that’s best known for blowing a big first half lead.

cowfan

Reaction score
Those guys have been playing football for the majority of their lives. They probably know they can touch the ball, but probably thought the ball wouldn't go 10 yards.

aria

Reaction score
Just because you KNOW something doesn't mean you'll do it under pressure.
Guys KNOW not to jump off sides. But unless you continuously practice staying set until the ball is hiked, you're likely to jump offsides at a critical, pressure-filled moment in the game.
That's why you practice over and over again.
And teams likely don't spend a lot of time on onside kicks. So I think it's easy to forget what to do at a pressure-filled moment, ESPECIALLY if you don't have time to practice special teams and practice THAT play.
Lol, millionaires don’t know what 4th graders do?

Pressure? Are you kidding me? I’m a paramedic/ff, do I get to tell someone’s parents that their kid died because I was under pressure and didn’t know what to do.

“I’m sorry m’am, your child died because I was under pressure. I don’t do this too often so I please don't expect me to know what I’m doing.”

Don’t talk to me about me about pressure, especially when it’s catching a f’in football.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Yes. Some guys are playing special teams for the first time. Also, how often do you see onsides kicks? Not very often comparatively speaking.
Also, some things aren't activated in times of stress unless you've developed muscle memory. You would think people would know to hit back when someone is attacking you. But unless you practice punching and drilling it into your muscle memory, you resort to what you've always done.
Did you get a participation trophy for waking up today?

mmohican29

Reaction score
It was the most unique onside kick I ever saw. It was like a curling stone. You don't think it's going to get there, but it does. Much to the Falcons chagrin.

The Cowboys created that doubt. Folks, That was football art:

Our ST's basically screened the Falcons recovery guys by sprinting to a designated spot and engaging while Goodwin angled waiting for the bend at 9 yards.

The closest Falcons were outflanked and the ball from their viewpoint would have looked like a for sure either OB kick or no way would travel 10.

IMO that was a football ST masterpiece. We made a play there more so than the Falcons choking. You will never again see an onsides kick/scheme in design that excellent. A++++.

dwreck27

Reaction score
That’s like football 101...

yeah the STs coach should get fired....

I mean not that it matters Quinn is gonna get axed after this season anyways

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
How did nobody on the Falcon hands team not know they could touch the ball????

Wow. Thanks!

I assume that it's been said, but I don't think the Falcons didn't know they couldn't touch the ball. They front line guys more or less are taught to collide with the opposing teams players and to let their hands guys behind them get the ball. The spin on the ball probably intimidated them, and instead of jumping on it, they did what just about every special teams coach teaches, which is let the hands guys get it. Touching it early, just to have it spin off their fingers into Dallas' position, would lead to the same criticism they are facing now, just in reverse.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Lol, millionaires don’t know what 4th graders do?

Pressure? Are you kidding me? I’m a paramedic/ff, do I get to tell someone’s parents that their kid died because I was under pressure and didn’t know what to do.

“I’m sorry m’am, your child died because I was under pressure. I don’t do this too often so I please don't expect me to know what I’m doing.”

Don’t talk to me about me about pressure, especially when it’s catching a f’in football.

If you didn't want me to talk to you about pressure, why'd you respond to my post? :huh:

Second, there are different types of pressure.

Third, you TRAINED to be a paramedic, so you are prepared for the pressure your job entails because of your TRAINING. Thank you for making my point. :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You don't need a full training camp everyone should know the rule.
Knowing the rules and knowing what to do in a pressure situation are two different animals.

Firefighters know to charge into a burning building. Police know to move into a building when there's an active shooter.

But without training, they're not likely to do what they know to do.

That's why firefighters, police officers and players PRACTICE what they should do in a crisis or a pressure situation because ... knowing and executing under pressure are two different animals.