CFZ False Achievement Syndrome

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We see this in action in every walk of life and in sports and it is not better represented than by the Dallas Cowboys.

No NFL market gives more exposure to its NFL team than DFW, not even close. And this has been in place for a long time, well before the present ownership. This is only compounded by the national exposure enabling the owner to feed his insatiable ego and need for celebrity status.

The problem is two-fold. First, he wants to please his ego by making himself the face and voice of the team but the second one is the real achievement stopper. He allows his ego to extend to his players because he chose them, they are his and they must be better than the others just because they are his. He actually thinks every player wants to be a Cowboy but worse, thinks that's because of him.

What else explains the slow starts in playoff games? They think they've already arrived. All they have to do is show up. And this isn't just in the last one, it is in almost every one of them since Phillips took over.

The problem, and I do not see this changing until there is a GM change, is that the owner will not allow the HC to do his job. He even did it to Parcells with Owens. Parcells didn't want the #1 coach killer in the league and tried his tough love approach with "the player" only to have the owner double down and take him to breakfast every week to soothe his bruised ego. That same ego that had him on his third team because he couldn't get along with authority figures.

You can see FAS with the players. We saw that with Lawrence creating a nickname for a very mediocre DL, that's promotion. That's right down the owner's sweet spot. Promote it and sell it before it really exists.

And that's not the real problem, the real one is that he infects his players with it and does not allow the one entity that can keep that in check any real power.

The bucks start with the owner but the buck does not stop with the HC.

False Achievement Syndrome is simply they're just happy to be Cowboys.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They are already playing on the biggest stage with the star on the helmet. They are not playing with the swag. They know who the boss is. And they know they cannot out shine him. Players are supposed to take on the personality of the coach.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Showing up for a playoff game is on the coaches and the players. It has nothing to do with Jerry and his ego.
They players are above that and need to motivate themselves. They do not feel they already have arrived because of the team or owner they play for.

This is a fan cop out because they need to justify their hate / dislike / displeasure for the FO and Jerry.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We see this in action in every walk of life and in sports and it is not better represented than by the Dallas Cowboys.

No NFL market gives more exposure to its NFL team than DFW, not even close. And this has been in place for a long time, well before the present ownership. This is only compounded by the national exposure enabling the owner to feed his insatiable ego and need for celebrity status.

The problem is two-fold. First, he wants to please his ego by making himself the face and voice of the team but the second one is the real achievement stopper. He allows his ego to extend to his players because he chose them, they are his and they must be better than the others just because they are his. He actually thinks every player wants to be a Cowboy but worse, thinks that's because of him.

What else explains the slow starts in playoff games? They think they've already arrived. All they have to do is show up. And this isn't just in the last one, it is in almost every one of them since Phillips took over.

The problem, and I do not see this changing until there is a GM change, is that the owner will not allow the HC to do his job. He even did it to Parcells with Owens. Parcells didn't want the #1 coach killer in the league and tried his tough love approach with "the player" only to have the owner double down and take him to breakfast every week to soothe his bruised ego. That same ego that had him on his third team because he couldn't get along with authority figures.

You can see FAS with the players. We saw that with Lawrence creating a nickname for a very mediocre DL, that's promotion. That's right down the owner's sweet spot. Promote it and sell it before it really exists.

And that's not the real problem, the real one is that he infects his players with it and does not allow the one entity that can keep that in check any real power.

FAS? Sounds like Zeke getting 1000 yards last year.

AS far as starting out slow in playoff games thats an easy one. We always try to feature Zeke and it doesnt work and we fall behind.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Showing up for a playoff game is on the coaches and the players. It has nothing to do with Jerry and his ego.
They players are above that and need to motivate themselves. They do not feel they already have arrived because of the team or owner they play for.

This is a fan cop out because they need to justify their hate / dislike / displeasure for the FO and Jerry.

I disagree. It has as much to do with Jerry as any coach. Instead of acting like they have arrived, Jerry should be telling them all to shut up until they have done something. That would motivate them more than anything.

terra

Reaction score
FAS? Sounds like Zeke getting 1000 yards last year.

AS far as starting out slow in playoff games thats an easy one. We always try to feature Zeke and it doesnt work and we fall behind.
well your god Dak did not start out well against SF did he?

terra

Reaction score

Well who HIRED the coaches and WHO drafts the players?
This endless attempt to give Jethro an alibi is really sickening.
What you see with the Boys was EXACTLY what happened with the Raiders as long as Al Davis was alive. Only Al was frankly a lot more competent then Jerry; well until he got senile, anyway.

Adreme

Reaction score
well your god Dak did not start out well against SF did he?

Wow project much? Maybe you worship former players praying at an alter for them every night and listening to their voice as you go to sleep, but most rational people do not worship the players they like.

Meanwhile normal people can think a player is good, and be able to look at positives and negatives of both them and the team around them, without having consider them their "god".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And you are one of the Booger apologists and think this set up is normal. It is not.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I respect your point of view, but I'd add that it's got to be quite difficult to motivate a group that knows you're not the man in charge.

It's something that needs to be overcome for us to have success, and we haven't been able to. There's definitely something to it. We aren't talking about a small sample size. Far from it.

All Jerry needs to do is make it clear that MM is the man, and act that way.....but it ain't gonna happen.

Jerry makes it abundantly clear that HE is the man, then asks another person to go make a baby without having testicles.

Then blames him when he can't. Then tries again. Then tells the fans this is some sort of advantage.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Jerry isn't perfect. I have no issues with what he does in terms of players. Because in reality he has had serious talent on these teams. There's a reason media every yr comes out and puts Dallas as a top 10 team to win the super bowl.

Imo where Jerry needs to let go is coaching selection. It just seems like he's too scared to let go and get a guy who wants control. He's done that twice and jimmy and Parcells bailed. This past of him is something that I don't like. Imo since 2007 if Dallas had a Sean Payton or a Ron Rivera this team has already 3 more titles. 2007 2014 and 2016. No doubt in my head. He'll ill even go and say they won it last yr too.

And as @jazzcatt22 just said this is just a fan cop out. If this team takes away from your enjoyment in watching or rooting for the cowboys. Why are you even wasting your time. 31 other teams other sports. People who just complain about everything they can find reminds me of the parents who embarrass their kids in sports by having this same mentality with them. Watch the game be a fan, cheering for a win, but if they don't win is just a game a team your a fan of. Drink a beer and move on.

RS12

Reaction score
I feel like the biggest area of false achievement syndrome was last years 12 and 5 record. I feel like the 6 and 5 record outside the division was a much closer representation to what the team actually was as opposed to the 6 and 0 record in the division. Seems to me both players and fans had a false sense of what this team actually was: More of a 500 team as opposed to a 700 team,

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. It has as much to do with Jerry as any coach. Instead of acting like they have arrived, Jerry should be telling them all to shut up until they have done something. That would motivate them more than anything.

Actually Jerry should not say anything. He should be the one that shuts up. :laugh:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
And you are one of the Booger apologists and think this set up is normal. It is not.
What qualifications do you have to question what Jerry does? I've posted with jazzcatt for some time and he's one of the most level guys in here. He's never over the top for being a optimist or a pessimist in regards to this team.

RS12

Reaction score

And yeah this boils down to culture, that being win, lose, or draw the checks dont bounce and there is no accountability. That wont change with the Arkansas Hillbillys in the front office.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well who HIRED the coaches and WHO drafts the players?
This endless attempt to give Jethro an alibi is really sickening.
What you see with the Boys was EXACTLY what happened with the Raiders as long as Al Davis was alive. Only Al was frankly a lot more competent then Jerry; well until he got senile, anyway.

Who is giving him an alibi.
I said it has nothing to do with Jerry as it is on the coaches and the players.
Even though Jerry should just stay quiet. But the players need to execute the game plan and the coaches need to make adjustments.

Jerry is not on field, nor he comes to the sidelines anymore.

I made a true comment and fans are still trying to blame him. And if they do succeed, these same fans will not give him credit. It will be in spite of him they won.

RS12

Reaction score
What qualifications do you have to question what Jerry does?
Same as everybody. His mediocre regular season record and dismal post season record since he fully took control mid 90s. Missed the playoffs entirely 8 of the last 12 years. The numbers dont lie but some people just wanna watch games and wear jerseys I guess.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And you are wrong, I am not an apologist for him. I tell the truth.
But only haters such as you will not admit anything positive about anything they do.

When you call him booger, that loses credibility.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I respect your point of view, but I'd add that it's got to be quite difficult to motivate a group that knows you're not the man in charge.

It's something that needs to be overcome for us to have success, and we haven't been able to. There's definitely something to it. We aren't talking about a small sample size. Far from it.

All Jerry needs to do is make it clear that MM is the man, and act that way.....but it ain't gonna happen.

Jerry makes it abundantly clear that HE is the man, then asks another person to go make a baby without having testicles.

Then blames him when he can't. Then tries again. Then tells the fans this is some sort of advantage.

And yet again, the dislike for Jerry gets in the way.
MM is in charge of on the field activities and game day.

Jerry doesn’t need to say …Mm is in charge….people know this, except the dislikers will not admit it…as
I said they need that for another reason to keep it all negative.

blueblood70

Reaction score

False ??

how if a market , media, and fanbase ( yes ther are places like this all they talk about is dallas cowboys and many aren't on others team sites daily like we are here.) make the Cowboys relevant and #1 its #1 its a fact.. odd you think any team in the dfw market are better i mean the Rangers, mavs, and stars have TWO championships, thats it. Jerry has 3 in his tenure. How long have the rangers, stars and mavs been in our market?? im pretty sure a pretty long time. Rangers 1972-presnt ZERO rings, Dallas Mavericks 1980–present One ring, Stars 1993 -present. so almost all have been playing regularly as long or longer than jerry and 2 rings between 3 franchises, Jerry has 3..wake up that why they are popular as well as staying relative in the regular season.

so somehow you think Jerry crowned himself media and rankings king? umm no fans fill the stadium, media fills their day with talking about us good or bad, and for sure locally football is king . what other NFL team in TX should they cover? the ZERO championships between the oilers and Texans?

the DC have 3 sings since jerry took over drought or no drought nothing false about it im tired of talking about this teams and the NFL have had longer droughts as matter a fact 18 other NFL teams have not won a SB since 1996 , Chiefs took 51 years to get back, 31 years between LOSSES zero rings for Bengals, eagles have been around how long? 60 years to get one ring.

its a fact our drought issues blamed it solely on a irregular GM role is ignorant given many teams have hired and fired more than 2, 3, 4 , 5 gms since some have changed owners and some up and left their markets and still nothing's changed.

show me how changing GMs say 5-6 times here would have changed anything? Jones ' are still the owners for one and two no official blueprint that states changing coaches and gms regularly will change anything.

not saying i havent wanted to just see it happen maybe Grett stayed bit longer than he should have and just for Change's sake a new official GM hired to know for sure but no way do i think that why we struggle in the playoffs.

a handful of you taking issue with Jerry the GM title holder is on YOU.
other people dont care.

why do we know this? the Grown adults that are part of a huge Media outlets and well Fans who fill the stadiums say its not a real thing.

Jealous much? we all know Mcclay is huge part of the GM role, Stephen as well, its collective effort to build this team not one guy in throne just doing crazy stuff thats not working? how about being top 11 in wins since 96, top 10 since 2016, as you try you paint a picture. These giant medias moguls and local market media and SM say the Cowboys are relative and fands back it up by attending games. what that false somehow Jerrys a hypnotist and can make people do things if they are false?

oi wopuld love some more playoff ins, would luv a NFCCG appearance, would luv another SB but that does NOt make the Cowboys a bad team masquerading as a relative one.

we are as popular as ever and you see us being the jets, browns, Bengal's, jags, or others..you have to at least be competitive nearly every year and have star power in talent. We still do that consistently.

Last edited: