CFZ False Achievement Syndrome

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We see this in action in every walk of life and in sports and it is not better represented than by the Dallas Cowboys.

No NFL market gives more exposure to its NFL team than DFW, not even close. And this has been in place for a long time, well before the present ownership. This is only compounded by the national exposure enabling the owner to feed his insatiable ego and need for celebrity status.

The problem is two-fold. First, he wants to please his ego by making himself the face and voice of the team but the second one is the real achievement stopper. He allows his ego to extend to his players because he chose them, they are his and they must be better than the others just because they are his. He actually thinks every player wants to be a Cowboy but worse, thinks that's because of him.

What else explains the slow starts in playoff games? They think they've already arrived. All they have to do is show up. And this isn't just in the last one, it is in almost every one of them since Phillips took over.

The problem, and I do not see this changing until there is a GM change, is that the owner will not allow the HC to do his job. He even did it to Parcells with Owens. Parcells didn't want the #1 coach killer in the league and tried his tough love approach with "the player" only to have the owner double down and take him to breakfast every week to soothe his bruised ego. That same ego that had him on his third team because he couldn't get along with authority figures.

You can see FAS with the players. We saw that with Lawrence creating a nickname for a very mediocre DL, that's promotion. That's right down the owner's sweet spot. Promote it and sell it before it really exists.

And that's not the real problem, the real one is that he infects his players with it and does not allow the one entity that can keep that in check any real power.

The bucks start with the owner but the buck does not stop with the HC.

False Achievement Syndrome is simply they're just happy to be Cowboys.
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

Nailed it Sir !!!!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I give him all the credit for going against the grain and hiring a college coach with a bleeding team. He was smart enough to let the people do their jobs.

The nepotism within this franchise is crippling it with nothing but yes people in sight.

Accountability and responsibility must be 100% to the HC. Even Mike Brown understands that.

It took Mike Brown a lot of years to get his right QB though he tried many times. Like Carson Palmer, and in a later round, Andy Dalton.
But he finally got his guy in Joe Burrow, as did Jerry getting Troy Aikman. But Burrow lost his SB so far.

GB only got to one with AR, and that was with MM. Jerry hired MM so we will see how this works out. I still go by MM is 100% decision maker as to who plays and who does not.
And as to coaches, he did hire his own coaching staff, except for Moore. That one is on Jerry. But some fans seem to like Moore. But yet are critical of Jerry for wanting to keep him…hmmmm….

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Same goes for the ones that never want to have a light on for their team.
We want a brighter light. Our owner unfortunately is a dim light on our football operations this era. .

Fortunately there are other components which have brighter lights. We’ve had some players which have provided brighter lights.

Without Jimmy this Jethro era would be a Shonda.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You're making stiff up about TO. Stick to the current team and relax. Parcells was wrong in that situation 100 percent. You don't call a man out of his name like that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It took Mike Brown a lot of years to get his right QB though he tried many times. Like Carson Palmer, and in a later round, Andy Dalton.
But he finally got his guy in Joe Burrow, as did Jerry getting Troy Aikman. But Burrow lost his SB so far.

GB only got to one with AR, and that was with MM. Jerry hired MM so we will see how this works out. I still go by MM is 100% decision maker as to who plays and who does not.
And as to coaches, he did hire his own coaching staff, except for Moore. That one is on Jerry. But some fans seem to like Moore. But yet are critical of Jerry for wanting to keep him…hmmmm….
I guess you missed the MM press conference when he sad he was going to rest Elliott after injury. Then Zeke said he wanted to play thru his injury. And Jethro came out and said he would play if he wanted to,

Diehardblues

Reaction score

And you don’t see the problem with Jethro dictating Moore on MM? It doesn’t matter whether fans like him or not. That’s undermining the HC authority.

What other owner does this kind of meddling? But you see no problem with it ??

terra

Reaction score
Who is giving him an alibi.
I said it has nothing to do with Jerry as it is on the coaches and the players.
Even though Jerry should just stay quiet. But the players need to execute the game plan and the coaches need to make adjustments.

Jerry is not on field, nor he comes to the sidelines anymore.

I made a true comment and fans are still trying to blame him. And if they do succeed, these same fans will not give him credit. It will be in spite of him they won.
He still is the one hiring the coaches and ultimately passing on the players chosen.
You keep avoiding that FACT.

terra

Reaction score

Jerry wanting to keep him. You just admitted reality at last as regards who makes the final decisions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro always wants to paint a brighter brush on things than the results or the prospects.

Some fans are apparently attracted to his eternal optimism which is driven by hyping and promoting his product.

If he succeeds in getting fans to buy in and then it comes up short of expectations he can use scapegoats and go into damage control.

It’s a vicious cycle which appears to work with some fans cause they just want to believe in something I guess. Like it’s more fun that seeing it for what it is which sounds more like a fantasy than reality.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just want to know when the old buzzard is going to hire a GM and just worry about marketing. He is very good at that.
When he’s six feet under or strapped to a rubber room.

I think there’s hope once he’s gone. This was his dream to be a football guy celebrity not his kids.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea, there’s nothing to see here. Everything is great with the Cowboys. Nothing to critique. Get your Poms poms out.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're making stiff up about TO. Stick to the current team and relax. Parcells was wrong in that situation 100 percent. You don't call a man out of his name like that.
Making up that he referred to him as "the player" and Booger started taking him to breakfast to smooth his ruffled feathers? He was sent packing from SF and PHL for insubordination to coaches?

We just disagree who was wrong in that situation but Parcels was old school all about the team and Owens was all about himself.

The only thing Booger did right was one year contracts with Owens and then he made the mistake Owens had been waiting for.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When he’s six feet under or strapped to a rubber room.

I think there’s hope once he’s gone. This was his dream to be a football guy celebrity not his kids.
Not sure his son doesn't have the bug too. The only thing keeping him from the spotlight is his old man.

And I am not sure that once Booger is gone and he is in charge, we won't lament Booger's passing a hell of a lot more.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I give him all the credit for going against the grain and hiring a college coach with a bleeding team. He was smart enough to let the people do their jobs.

The nepotism within this franchise is crippling it with nothing but yes people in sight.

Accountability and responsibility must be 100% to the HC. Even Mike Brown understands that.
It's not doing anything of the sort. What's failing this team is coaching, good coaching.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
This is no longer the franchise most of us grew up with. And if not for Jimmy the entire Jethro era would be a Shonda.
Funny how the entire nfl laughed at Jerry for hiring jimmy. But Jerry gets no credit for hiring him. Jimmy thrived with Jerry's money. How did Jimmy do inMiami? That just showed you that you can't have success without a owner who doesn't give you the resources.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Making up that he referred to him as "the player" and Booger started taking him to breakfast to smooth his ruffled feathers? He was sent packing from SF and PHL for insubordination to coaches?

We just disagree who was wrong in that situation but Parcels was old school all about the team and Owens was all about himself.

The only thing Booger did right was one year contracts with Owens and then he made the mistake Owens had been waiting for.
Parcells disrespected TO from day 1. It was wrong abd I bet Parcells would agree that he was wrong. And if you notice TO still to this day has respect for Bill even after that. He never really speaks bad of Bill. It was childish