Twitter: Fassel On Attempted Punt Block

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
so it’s the fan’s fault ? They made you call that moronic play ? This guy has some personal issues in addition to sucking as a ST coach.
Those that blame other people struggle to better themselves. I'd fire his butt for bringing the fans in on his decision, like that. Because that means he's not going to change.

Reactions: BAT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaches hate interview questions about their decision making. They would prefer to simply agree with the interviewers narrative or come up with some smart*** comment. The only people who get the absolute truth is the head coach and the GM.

Most likely, they thought they detected some flaw in the protection but it wasn't there on that play. It could have been a Cowboy player that didn't follow through on his assignment. Fassel isn't going point out what he thought he saw and he isn't going to throw any player under the bus. He knew his answer was absurd.

Wow, do you give him too much credit.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I think running into the kicker is one if one of the worst penalties that can be committed. The defense has just made a stop and the offense is going to get the ball, save for a fumble on the return. Total momentum shift.
It’s equivalent to Dak throwing the ball 25 yards downfield for an int on the very next play. It’s an unnecessary turnover.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I am ok with being aggressive on ST, but he needs to pick his spots. Also, if you are going to be aggressive in ST, you need a lot more talent on ST than we have.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Yeah, that's a no from me.

How about take some accountability for your bone head decision and not weirdly place the blame on the fans.

we should try and block the punt. I had no issues with that. but did they understand how to execute it. they were really bad at it.....

Chuck 54

Reaction score
A punt block is like any other call.
  1. It works best when unexpected.
  2. After the call, it is still on the players to execute.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Punt block attempts are great. Just don’t run into the kicker if you miss.

True however looking at the replay it looked as if our guys was pushed into the punter actually tackled into the punter. Clearly going after a punt comes with risk but I have a feeling the discussion would look much different had Dallas blocked the punt.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don’t think they’re great on 4th and 20, when you’re otherwise guaranteed to get the ball back to your high-powered offense.

Fassel has no excuse for calling it there. None.

I have no problem with it, I would never go after on a 4th and 4 because 9 times out of 10 the call ends up as running into the kicker which carries a 5 yard. In this case he is right the player who hit the kicker was tackled into the kicker. You pull this block off and I promise vast majority would not be complaining about it. Much like going for it on 4th, most love it as long as you make it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no problem with it, I would never go after on a 4th and 4 because 9 times out of 10 the call ends up as running into the kicker which carries a 5 yard. In this case he is right the player who hit the kicker was tackled into the kicker. You pull this block off and I promise vast majority would not be complaining about it. Much like going for it on 4th, most love it as long as you make it.

And none of the odds were in their favor. They were guaranteed to get the ball back to their high-powered offense which was moving the ball consistently. The only way to screw it up was by doing exactly what they did. Coaches have been fired for less. And this isn’t the first time Fassel has made highly questionable decisions that have hurt this team. Not the second or third either. He’s been more detrimental than helpful. And he either needs to be reigned in or replaced.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And none of the odds were in their favor. They were guaranteed to get the ball back to their high-powered offense which was moving the ball consistently. The only way to screw it up was by doing exactly what they did. Coaches have been fired for less. And this isn’t the first time Fassel has made highly questionable decisions that have hurt this team. Not the second or third either. He’s been more detrimental than helpful. And he either needs to be reigned in or replaced.

Any time you call for a blocked punt attempt you are in a position to get the ball back since the opposing team is punting the ball back to you. Only issue I have is they did not get there and block it. I do agree with Fassel it was a hold and should have been called. I agree there have been calls that I did not like such as the fake punt vs Washington, totally disagreed with it but I have watched Cowboys football long enough to know that Landry and Jimmy where never afraid to go after a blocked punt. As I said 4th and less than 5 yards no I don't risk the running into the kicker which 9 time out of 10 that is what ends up getting called. In this case Fassel is right that should have been a holding penalty on #40 as he tackled Kamara into the punter