Fastest Cowboy Ever? And most impressive NFL 40?

Brax

Reaction score
I can give an answer to this no way question in my mind, when we're talking about the guy whose sheer speed dominated and revolutionized the game and how the NFL teams had to devise how to play him in Bullet Bob Hayes, who also made his dominance felt in the fastest contest in the Olympic Games, and we ain't talkin about just a 40 time but a lengthier 100 meters.

they can keep their scrubs like 4.14 Alexander Wright, ..and Randall Williams, and even HOF Deion Sanders and his supposedly 4.29 per pre-draft NFL combine - but I will always cast my vote on the " World's Fastest Human " in Bullett Bob Hayes. :bow:
If people saw him play or saw him run there would be no question, when he hit the afterburner there is no one who could keep up, Meredith once said he couldn't over throw him on a deep route. Not only fastest Cowboy fastest guy ever to play in the NFL.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Green caught EVERYONE from behind. Would have been a gold medalist easily. Didn't he win fastest NFL player like 86 times?!

He was fast but he would not have easily won a gold medal. He was definitely not faster than Carl Lewis.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
My favorite run-down was Larry Allen!!! Big boy hauling booty

T-RO

Reaction score
Hays won a gold in the Olympics, yet these arse clowns at NFL Network gave the fastest player title to Green of Wash.

I suspect the notion is that Bob was running past people in an earlier era when it wasn't as competitive. Fair conclusion or not?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If people saw him play or saw him run there would be no question, when he hit the afterburner there is no one who could keep up, Meredith once said he couldn't over throw him on a deep route. Not only fastest Cowboy fastest guy ever to play in the NFL.
I suspect the notion is that Bob was running past people in an earlier era when it wasn't as competitive. Fair conclusion or not?

Bob Hayes was very fast. He was an Olympic Sprinter. His best time in the 100 meter 10.05 and a wind assisted 9.91.

Once time Cowboys practice squad player (2010 time frame) ran an official 9.90 100 meter...

I've gone back and reviewed some old game footage. It's hard to find good footage because I wanted real game footage not NFL Films doctored up footage because I wanted the speed to be real time and not altered.

After watching that and then watching videos of Deion, I'm skeptical that Bob Hayes had Deion type speed on the field. I'm going to capture the video into a video editor such that I can get precise timing information for the comparison. I'll also make certain to find footage of Deion on natural grass for an even comparison.

The one thing I don't think is in question is that in terms of overall athletic ability as a football player (lateral agility, stop-start quickness, etc.) that it's not close with regards to Deion being on another level.

The other thing from just watching the game footage, watching them relative to other players I would have expected Hayes to be just blow by players of his era, but in general it was Deion that was more dominant relative to the other players on the field.

Brax

Reaction score
Bob Hayes was very fast. He was an Olympic Sprinter. His best time in the 100 meter 10.05 and a wind assisted 9.91.

Once time Cowboys practice squad player (2010 time frame) ran an official 9.90 100 meter...

I've gone back and reviewed some old game footage. It's hard to find good footage because I wanted real game footage not NFL Films doctored up footage because I wanted the speed to be real time and not altered.

After watching that and then watching videos of Deion, I'm skeptical that Bob Hayes had Deion type speed on the field. I'm going to capture the video into a video editor such that I can get precise timing information for the comparison. I'll also make certain to find footage of Deion on natural grass for an even comparison.

The one thing I don't think is in question is that in terms of overall athletic ability as a football player (lateral agility, stop-start quickness, etc.) that it's not close with regards to Deion being on another level.

The other thing from just watching the game footage, watching them relative to other players I would have expected Hayes to be just blow by players of his era, but in general it was Deion that was more dominant relative to the other players on the field.
Bob did blow by players that's the reason the zone D was invented, as a football player overall ability I agree about Deion but he would not of covered Bob 1 on 1 flat out. Want to see fast watch the 4x100 64 Olympic final.

garyo1954

Reaction score

Straight line speed is different than football speed.
Watch Bob Hayes.....

Brax

Reaction score

this is fast

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about everybody but here's what I'll tell ya. You guys trot out whatever jackrabbits you want and I'm gonna put my money down on this guy, that he will track em down.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
I didn’t look at the video but I remember that play. The clock started late.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Well, I don't know about everybody but here's what I'll tell ya. You guys trot out whatever jackrabbits you want and I'm gonna put my money down on this guy, that he will track em down.

This video is legendary.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Deion Sanders is the fastest athlete I've ever seen. There might be better 40s out there or whatever, but nobody has ever come close to replicating his play speed except maybe Randy Moss.