Video: Fastest guy on the team

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Never understood why the NFL has guy run in track shoes and tights EXCLUSIVELY. I would also have them run with a weighted vest. In particular, a vest that weighs about what NFL gear would weigh. Then you can determine who really "carries his pads well"

Hey, why not just have them run in pads, cleats, helmet, etc? I hate seeing a 4.3 man running a 4.5 when the pads come on and then seeing a combine 4.6 look like a 4.2 when the pads come on.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I do know what you mean but I think you're mistaking Murray's smoothness for slowness. In other wors, he's so smooth, he doesn't look like he's running that fast. Are you going to be as fast as some defenders while you're carrying a football? No, but Murray's got enough speed to house it from nearly anywhere on the field, as proven by some of those big runs he had against the Rams when he broke the single-game record, among others.

Then why has he never done it? I have seen him fall down/ quit in the open field tho.

jubal

Reaction score
You might be thinking about Randal Williams I believe. Williams is the one who took an opening onsides kick from Andy Reid's Eagles back for the quickest score in NFL history. That was in the early 2000's and after Jimmy's time. Williams was blazing fast too.

However, you could be talking about Alexander Wright running back a kick against the Eagles in the early 90's that I can't remember. It is possible that I have forgotten Wright doing that, so if you are then I apologize.

Is this the guy "Wright" that ran so fast he broke his leg during a scrimage with the chargers during training camp or was it some other receiver?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Is this the guy "Wright" that ran so fast he broke his leg during a scrimage with the chargers during training camp or was it some other receiver?

I think you're thinking about Mike Sherrard. He was a first round pick back in about 1986 or 1987 if I remember correctly. He is the only WR that I specifically remember breaking his leg and he did it twice. The first time, I can't remember what happened... it could be what you're talking about against the Chargers. The second time he was rehabbing it and he was almost back fully healthy. He was just running down the beach and it broke again like a popsicle stick.

I don't think he played again. Dallas needed a WR after that, so they drafted a guy named Michael Irvin to take his spot.

Irvin did ok. ;)

EDIT: I checked and Sherrard was the Cowboys first pick in 1986. Irvin was taken in 1988.

He broke his leg the first time in 1987 in a scrimmage.

From Wikipedia: In 1987 he came into training camp as the Cowboys best wide receiver, but was lost for the year when he was tripped by a defender during a scrimmage and shattered two bones (the tibia and fibula) in his right leg.[2] He also missed the 1988 season, when he re-fractured his right leg tibia and also the shin bone, while jogging on a Santa Monica beach as part of his rehab treatment.

Last edited:

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Seems like a problem that there are only 2-3 guys on the team that are even in the conversation.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ah I came up with Tolen but remembered he was on Hard Knocks I assume it is Todd Lowber.

Yes, it was Todd Lowber. Thanks.

That guy was freakishly fast, but had no clue how to play football.

There were many claims that he ran a 4.1 forty somewhere. He could also jump through the roof.

jubal

Reaction score
I think you're thinking about Mike Sherrard. He was a first round pick back in about 1986 or 1987 if I remember correctly. He is the only WR that I specifically remember breaking his leg and he did it twice. The first time, I can't remember what happened... it could be what you're talking about against the Chargers. The second time he was rehabbing it and he was almost back fully healthy. He was just running down the beach and it broke again like a popsicle stick.

I don't think he played again. Dallas needed a WR after that, so they drafted a guy named Michael Irvin to take his spot.

Irvin did ok. ;)

EDIT: I checked and Sherrard was the Cowboys first pick in 1986. Irvin was taken in 1988.

He broke his leg the first time in 1987 in a scrimmage.

From Wikipedia: In 1987 he came into training camp as the Cowboys best wide receiver, but was lost for the year when he was tripped by a defender during a scrimmage and shattered two bones (the tibia and fibula) in his right leg.[2] He also missed the 1988 season, when he re-fractured his right leg tibia and also the shin bone, while jogging on a Santa Monica beach as part of his rehab treatment.

Thanks for finding that info. for me . Wright just seemed familiar for some reason and the brittle bone break came to mind.