Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Cat Scratch Fever o_O
tenor.gif

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Dick Dale and the Beach Boys style of guitar play is virtually identical. At least the early Dick Dale is very similar.
It would be more the early Beach Boys being close to Dale than the other way around. Later B Boys was psychedelic/baroque/ballad pop/alt rock

*Edit -- I see what you mean, Jed. Yeah, early Dale is similar to BBoys, but only their early catalogue, imo.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It would be more the early Beach Boys being close to Dale than the other way around. Later B Boys was psychedelic/baroque/ballad pop/alt rock
Copy that!,,,I've not posted my .02 on this thread yet,but if not a vote for Jimmy Hendrix it would be a dual casted vote of that bluegrass string plucking dynamic duo of Lester Flatt& Earl Scruggs,,, ( it's true:p:thumbup:)

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I was talking with a friend yesterday and we were reminiscing about some of the bands and musicians we used to go see in the local spots, San Antonio/Austin area. He brought up Monte Montgomery, I had almost forgotten about him, haven't seen him play in years. We used to see him quite a bit locally and definitely a world class player. Probably someone @YosemiteSam would like.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend yesterday and we were reminiscing about some of the bands and musicians we used to go see in the local spots, San Antonio/Austin area. He brought up Monte Montgomery, I had almost forgotten about him, haven't seen him play in years. We used to see him quite a bit locally and definitely a world class player. Probably someone @YosemiteSam would like.

Thank you for that! That was awesome! Monte Montgomery is clearly a virtuoso and that was awesome to see him playing with my guitar god. Tommy Emmanuel!

Doing what he does is difficult, but it's so much more difficult on an acoustic guitar. It's WAY WAY WAY easier to play like that on an electric which just enhances my bewilderment when people play like that on acoustics. (not to mention finger picking which just raises the bar to an all new level)

Anyhow, thanks for sharing. That was awesome and I will be sharing that with my buddies!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Thank you for that! That was awesome! Monte Montgomery is clearly a virtuoso and that was awesome to see him playing with my guitar god. Tommy Emmanuel!

Doing what he does is difficult, but it's so much more difficult on an acoustic guitar. It's WAY WAY WAY easier to play like that on an electric which just enhances my bewilderment when people play like that on acoustics. (not to mention finger picking which just raises the bar to an all new level)

Anyhow, thanks for sharing. That was awesome and I will be sharing that with my buddies!
Glad you liked it. We saw started seeing Monte quite a bit back in the early 90's at little bars and such, back in his no cover charge or $5 cover charge days when he had a tip jar sitting on a stool and his guitar was still new......lol

About that same time I was tending bar at a little place and we had some amazing musicians there. Jim Volk was a regular for our songwriter night. Jim had signed a deal with Sony, but got screwed over, sad because he was an amazing talent. He moved back to Ohio and still plays, still amazing.