Signed by Cowboys FB Olawale traded to Cowboys **merged**

Kaiser

Reaction score
Giving up equity for a position that played 12% of offensive snaps for you.

And paying the fifth most in the league for a fullback this staff rarely uses anyway.

Agree on the last point, but the value of what we gave up on the trade chart is a very late 6th or early 7th. In other words, nothing.

IMO the key thing is that the new guy will have our playbook down cold by the time camp starts, while waiting until he was cut (which is no guarantee) means he would be learning the playbook on the fly. For the FB that has to make key blocks, one missed block can get your QB hurt (and launch 4 billion posts here about why the Cowboys didn't trade for the FB earlier).

At the end of the day I think we swapped out very similar players except Bisaccia like Keith Smith a lot and knows him well, while the Cowboys know the new guy from his time on the PS here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is so true.

With our O-line and this fullback and Zeke it should be run a lot...but it’ll probably be throw a lot...

It should be nail meet hammer to be honest. Bludgeoning your opponents.
:hammer:

But unfortunately, we've got two pass happy coordinators calling the shots.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I can see all the crying if the team kept smith at 2/4.3mm. "Why are we paying a FB 2.15 a year when we only use a FB 9% of the time", Why we paying Smith that much he only touches the ball 6 times a year." I am sure others will come up other ones.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree on the last point, but the value of what we gave up on the trade chart is a very late 6th or early 7th. In other words, nothing.

IMO the key thing is that the new guy will have our playbook down cold by the time camp starts, while waiting until he was cut (which is no guarantee) means he would be learning the playbook on the fly. For the FB that has to make key blocks, one missed block can get your QB hurt (and launch 4 billion posts here about why the Cowboys didn't trade for the FB earlier).

At the end of the day I think we swapped out very similar players except Bisaccia like Keith Smith a lot and knows him well, while the Cowboys now the new guy from his time on the PS here.

Believe me, if this acquisition brings about a change in thinking and more utilization of the fullback position?

I'll lead the frickin parade!

I'm just not sure they'll do it.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Olawale's arrow doesn't need to go up. He's a complete fullback now.

Smith is a solid player. He's a good run blocker, not bad as a run blocker, might be good for a dive play or two and shows good hands out of the backfield. He's also a core special teammer.

Olawale is a pretty good run blocker, good pass blocker, can make plays as a runner and as a receiver and is a core special-teammer.

I don't think we have to like one or the other of these players. Both have their value. I just believe from what Olawale showed while he was here and even more after he left here, he offers more as a runner and receiver than Smith. The rest pretty much equals out.
mr gimmie--- a big factor is age..Olawale 28...Smith 25....Olawale has done this a lot longer but is not a lot better and Smith will be getting a lot better in a short period of time...i think we both have good traits to point too..i am just betting Smith's work ethic and age makes his value more superior....usually 28 is peak..then it goes down hill fast...we will find out?...like anything in football it can be a crap-shoot...

BlindFaith

Reaction score
HB was just an example of team friendly deals that are out there. But the front office seems to not only ignore the top of the free agent pool (and note, I am not suggesting they should dive into that pool), that often get overpaid, but they also basically sit out the mid-level guys where you can sometimes find good players on pretty fair deals.

They are just waiting for the chum that's left over to get really cheap, at least what they view as cheap.

And frankly, given the sheer failures of the FO over the last 4-5 years in FA, I think it's not an out of left field assumption to think this team doesn't quite know how to work FA in their favor.
Failures is not fair.

Look up the FAs they've signed or players in general. FA is the worst place to get players.

1. Draft
2. Training camp pick ups
3. Practice squad pickups
4. Trades
5. FA

Drafting gets you the best talent for the cheapest price. If you draft well.

Training camp pick up are usually cheap and many times very good players that get forced out because of other players the team drafted.

Practice squad players are usually to fill in for injuries. See David Irving

Trades can get you good talent, but only if you have good talent to exchange or are willing to part ways with a draft pick(s)

FA is for teams that have loads of cap room and or severe holes to fill. It's a fast yet expensive band aid that most likely you're forced to rip off a year or two later.

JMHO

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Good overall trade, it doesn't cost much and it adds a receiving element to the FB position that wasn't really there before. The only problem with this is he has 1 year left on his contract and is going to be 29 next month. He is getting up there in age and FB's take a beating in this league. I see him as more of a stop gap player for this year. The Cowboys will either draft a FB in the 7th round or pick one up as a UDFA and develop him on the practice squad for a year. Which ever way it goes I don't see the old man getting another contract here next year.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Believe me, if this acquisition brings about a change in thinking and more utilization of the fullback position?

I'd be OK with it if they banned FBs like asbestos. I'd rather see Rico Gathers playing those reps next year in an HB role than any FB I've seen (post Moose Johnston).

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So... you didn't do your homework on Olawale?
mr Corso---actually ... i know Olawale is good...but he is 28 and Smith is 25...and Smith learned a whole new postion and played at high level meaning only going to get much better quicker..usually 28 is peak and then does down hill fast?....i can safely say arrow is pointing up more for Smith all things considered..that is an easy call

Kaiser

Reaction score
Good overall trade, it doesn't cost much and it adds a receiving element to the FB position that wasn't really there before. The only problem with this is he has 1 year left on his contract and is going to be 29 next month. He is getting up there in age and FB's take a beating in this league. I see him as more of a stop gap player for this year. The Cowboys will either draft a FB in the 7th round or pick one up as a UDFA and develop him on the practice squad for a year. Which ever way it goes I don't see the old man getting another contract here next year.

Agree, but we likely get a 7th round comp pick for Keith Smith that we can use on a FB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think it will depend on how he plays this year. I could see us following it up with a two-year deal for the right price. But considering how Dallas looks at the position, I wouldn't doubt the team will be trying to find another bargain player to fill the spot after this year. I don't see us spending a draft pick on the position this year.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
mr Corso---actually ... i know Olawale is good...but he is 28 and Smith is 25...and Smith learned a whole new postion and played at high level meaning only going to get much better quicker..usually 28 is peak and then does down hill fast?....i can safely say arrow is pointing up more for Smith all things considered..that is an easy call
Eh... for a guy that's going to play very little, it's not like he's going to get gassed and he's a better player right now. He's on a one year contract so it's also not like you're worried about what happens when he turns 30...
I get that you love Smith, but this isn't something to go cray over and tell people to "do homework" when you haven't yourself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be OK with it if they banned FBs like asbestos. I'd rather see Rico Gathers playing those reps next year in an HB role than any FB I've seen (post Moose Johnston).

255d775885092430cb726cbe8549b2cd4b93a63e0c48062aa21aebb567eae751.jpg

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

At the end of the day I think we swapped out very similar players except Bisaccia like Keith Smith a lot and knows him well, while the Cowboys know the new guy from his time on the PS here.

Thank you for that flashback to Chris Gronkowski.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Jarwins your guy then.
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/cowb...aker-te-g-guard-mel-kiper-2017-nfl-draft/amp/