Feel Good about Vander Esch

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I like LVE too. I just hope the fans give him some time before expecting stardom. He’s often compared to Brian Urlacher but even he needed some time to develop.
Yeah, it shouldn't come as a shock if
LVE doesn't light it up as a rookie.
I'm hopeful he can start out solid in a role
and gradually improve as the year goes by.
I think he'll thrive in coverage early on, from
what the draftniks have said about him.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I think that's true. I also think that we have a fear of fast risers who rise based on the combine. LVE was one such fast riser. When he declared he was universally mentioned as a great third round steal. But just because he rose fast doesn't mean he wasn't worthy of rising that high. I think he will be a cornerstone soon
Just think of DWare when you think of fast risers. Lights out.

Secretsinthedirt

Reaction score
LVE will contribute day 1 and has the potential to be more than an average starter. I think we will be happy with his performance. He has a great role model in Lee.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Right? If we hadn't won any games at all last season, we could have just killed the draft the way the Browns did.
I get the sentiment here. But a forward thinking organization once eliminated from the playoffs gives some of their young and promising kids some extended looks. Try new things. Put players in uncomfortable decisions.

Doing so gives you an extended look at players and has added benefit of increasing your odds of losingm.

We didn't do any of that.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The browns have had endless choke jobs but this one takes the cake. They could have had Barkley and a better QB than Mayfields short ***.

Rarely do you have a shot at your QB and RB early in the same draft and dog it the way they did. It's like picking 2nd fiddle over aikman and emmitt On purpose!
Lol RB

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I think LVE will do fine. He puts the work in. Gained like 60 lbs during his time at Boise. In a professional program, he'll be in peak condition.

He’s added a fair amount of weight training for the combine. The player coming into training camp will be bigger and stronger than the player you saw on film last season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The browns have had endless choke jobs but this one takes the cake. They could have had Barkley and a better QB than Mayfields short ***.

Rarely do you have a shot at your QB and RB early in the same draft and dog it the way they did. It's like picking 2nd fiddle over aikman and emmitt On purpose!
I dont agree, Im a TX Longhorn fan and hate BM but this kid has an IT factor, a swagger, drive to win and a very accurate arm.. Hes not Johny Manziel part2 people want to say that but JM couldn't read a playbook, run a traditional offense, or read defenses.. A7M was simply a Huckfest offense..Baker will be fine he has the potential to be more like his short counterparts in Wilson and Brees.. if I was drafting I would have taken Barkley 1 and BM 4th but the jets at 3 were going to take BM and the browns knew it, they picked him early and lost Barkley , that wasn't mistake if they feel hes the guy..the 4th over all CB that was ahead scratcher he was taken way to high for his projections..

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I dont agree, Im a TX Longhorn fan and hate BM but this kid has an IT factor, a swagger, drive to win and a very accurate arm.. Hes not Johny Manziel part2 people want to say that but JM couldn't read a playbook, run a traditional offense, or read defenses.. A7M was simply a Huckfest offense..Baker will be fine he has the potential to be more like his short counterparts in Wilson and Brees.. if I was drafting I would have taken Barkley 1 and BM 4th but the jets at 3 were going to take BM and the browns knew it, they picked him early and lost Barkley , that wasn't mistake if they feel hes the guy..the 4th over all CB that was ahead scratcher he was taken way to high for his projections..

C'mon man Mayfield over Barkley should be a crime punishable by way of death only! No matter how you try to spin it.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I think that's true. I also think that we have a fear of fast risers who rise based on the combine. LVE was one such fast riser. When he declared he was universally mentioned as a great third round steal.

When he declared for the draft, he was mentioned as at least a high second-round pick who could move up into the first round.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sport...ersity/bronco-beat-blog/article190996644.html

http://draftanalyst.com/boise-state-linebacker-enter-draft

https://mwwire.com/2017/12/21/boise-state-lb-leighton-vander-esch-declares-for-nfl-draft/

All sorts of mock drafts had him in the first round before the combine, too, so it wasn't the combine that made him a first-round talent. It was simply the additional scouting that (among the internet experts) had been only cursory before he declared for the draft.

blueblood70

Reaction score
C'mon man Mayfield over Barkley should be a crime punishable by way of death only! No matter how you try to spin it.
we wont know that until say 3 yrs from now..you anointing one over the other is insane before they see a down..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I personally would have taken Saquon 1 and took a qb left at 4 which still would have been a good one but I dont think BM will disappoint and I think they will be fine..they better more worry about using that 4th on that CB from ohio state, if hes not the next superstar stud taking half the field type CB that will be a bust pick for sure..that seemed to be reach given they let all their PB type dbs go the last 2 seasons..

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I agree Mayfield is gonna be that dude. You can't own the record books in spots 1 and 2 for the best statistical seasons in college football history and be terrible. He seems mentally tough as well, that doesn't back down from a challenge.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I personally would have taken Saquon 1 and took a qb left at 4 which still would have been a good one but I dont think BM will disappoint and I think they will be fine..they better more worry about using that 4th on that CB from ohio state, if hes not the next superstar stud taking half the field type CB that will be a bust pick for sure..that seemed to be reach given they let all their PB type dbs go the last 2 seasons..
That was a good pick for them Denzel ward is immediately the best corner on their roster. They were decimated at the position.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

All these things that Mayfield have like "Confidence", and "Swagger" can go away in no time in the NFL.

Those traits are useless.

Mayfield is short, he has small hands, he has maturity issues, he didn't play under center, and he played in a gimmicky college offense.

He goes against pretty much everything the NFL looks for in a QB.