Feeling old

Hardline

Reaction score
If there weren’t fans supporting the team financially, do you think the Cowboys would win a SB sooner?

I’m always curious about this hard stance taken by fans. They are done supporting the team financially in any way and call those that do sheeple, or suckers as you did in one of your posts above, which clearly implies a moral and intellectual context to the stance you’ve taken i.e you’re not supporting Dallas financially and those that do are stupid while also not being morally aware enough to know they are being taken advantage of thereby facilitating the con job for other people to be defrauded.

Just curious...

If all the sheeple took your stance, would it improve the franchises hopes for a SB and fielding consistent SB-caliber teams?
It would enforce them to improve the product or go out of business.
Just like every other business in the world.
Just like I don't go to McDonalds because Big Macs aren't as good as they were 20 years ago.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He key is to injure one area really bad so you won’t notice all the aches and pains in other parts of your body.
Went to the doctor the other day and I told him it really hurts when I raise my arm up this high.
Doctor told me not to raise my arm up that high.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score

But your stance implicitly and explicitly holds to the idea that no one in the organization wants to win a championship as much as the fans do and that this would magically change if the franchise was kneecapped financially by the fans.

Where is the evidence for this?

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
I think bottoming out a franchise’s financial viability while also plummeting the number of fans who care would be disastrous for a team.

Like “they would move to another city” disastrous if they never attained success on the field.

lol is that what you think should happen?

ShortRound

Reaction score
If you were born 25 years ago, you have graduated college and could be starting your career.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a single penny comes out of my pocket to watch the Cowboys.
I don't tell people how to spend their entertainment dollars. I tell them why I don't spend mine.
All I tell them is they are suckers for doing it.
You pay your TV service provider, who in turn pays the NFL and the teams, but even aside from that, again, your viewership helps pay the NFLs bills, including the Cowboys. Viewership is why advertisers and networks are willing to pay big dollars, and you are part of that.

And yes, by calling people sheep, you were disparaging how they spend their entertainment dollars.

Ultimately you are just talking different degrees of financial support, but the reality is you are helping support the Cowboys financially even if you don’t buy a ticket or a jersey, yet at the same time disparaging others for helping support the Cowboys financially.

cern

Reaction score
I still use many of the same firearms to hunt today as i did back then. Bolt actions. Since the deer never shot back, no need for 30 round clips. Same over under shotguns. TV's are much better now.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It's been 25 years....how pathetic is that? Not to mention we've never made it to an NFC Championship game since then too.

All because, Jerry wasted a decade on the JG experience!
Well, I guess that accounts for 40% of the years anyway.

75boyz

Reaction score
You pay your TV service provider, who in turn pays the NFL and the teams, but even aside from that, again, your viewership helps pay the NFLs bills, including the Cowboys. Viewership is why advertisers and networks are willing to pay big dollars, and you are part of that.

And yes, by calling people sheep, you were disparaging how they spend their entertainment dollars.

Ultimately you are just talking different degrees of financial support, but the reality is you are helping support the Cowboys financially even if you don’t buy a ticket or a jersey, yet at the same time disparaging others for helping support the Cowboys financially.

Although I don't have cable but only the major networks and my $20 antenna on all 3 house tvs, I can see both sides to this discussion.

That is, as still an actual Cowboys tv viewer, my viewing still adds to those network and ad dollars that all the owners share in.

But also like Hardline, I would be hard pressed to remember the last piece of Cowboys merch I actually purchased. It's been 15 to 20 years most likely.

Each side has merit.

Just my opinion

Go Cowboys

Alweezy

Reaction score
I've gotten to the point now where it's not really even about how long ago it's been anymore because we've past a generational point now. I've come to terms with a SB win is maybe a once a lifetime event and that's ok.

So now It's all about just thinking how when the moment happens what a joyous and special moment it will be.

Go take a look at all those 2016 Cubs reaction videos. People dancing in airports and stuff.. flags being hung all over the city, folks hugging their 100 year old grandparents, it was more than baseball at that point. That championship was special. That's what it's about now for Cowboys fans.

Heck the Chiefs 50 year stint probably is also a good example too but it may not have hit quite the same.

I feel like the Cowboys SB will be one of the biggest event reactions transcending sports. It sucks to have to wait, but if the end result is one day winning, then might as well enjoy the journey getting there and remember it once we're there.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Here’s some perspective that stays with me:
  • Dak Prescott was 2 the last time the Cowboys won a SB, appeared in an NFC championship, or even won a divisional playoff game.
  • Tony Romo was 15.
  • My nearly 37 year old son was in 6th grade.
  • We’ve had 6 head coaches since then.
  • We’ve had one owner/President/GM/socks and jocks sorter and face of the franchise since then.
Google was even thought of yet. Cell phones and the internet were still in their infancy stage.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Although I don't have cable but only the major networks and my $20 antenna on all 3 house tvs, I can see both sides to this discussion.

That is, as still an actual Cowboys tv viewer, my viewing still adds to those network and ad dollars that all the owners share in.

But also like Hardline, I would be hard pressed to remember the last piece of Cowboys merch I actually purchased. It's been 15 to 20 years most likely.

Each side has merit.

Just my opinion

Go Cowboys
I haven’t bought merchandise in years either, and I have no problem with anyone who chooses not to. That’s not the issue. My problem was with him disparaging people who do - unprovoked I might add - and expressing contempt for them keeping the Cowboy franchise alive while he continues to watch and support the team himself.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Feeling old?

I still remember cutting out Robert Jones and Kevin Smith’s pictures from a Dallas Morning newspaper after the draft and hanging it up on my wall.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Just like I don't go to McDonalds because Big Macs aren't as good as they were 20 years ago.
See I agree with that!!

I thought it was me. What have they done to them?
They DO appear smaller but I figured I was just getting bigger lol.

I love those things, but definitely not like I used to.

I remember when they came in styrofoam boxes before anyone cared about the environment.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We can lament the Jerry situation forever, and I decided many years ago I'd simply need to outlive him. He has done zero to make me feel differently.

25 years is a joke....but...even with franchises like Cleveland and Detroit aside, iconic teams like the Raiders havent won since 1983, and Miami has been since 1972.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference is you aren’t making disparaging and unprovoked remarks about McDonalds patrons while you continue to be a consumer of the product yourself.

dckid

Reaction score
Has anyone else realized we are as removed from the infamous Cabo trip as that trip was removed from the last time the Cowboys won a Super Bowl? :eek::oops:
I am so glad people realize that. 1995 was the last SB season. January 1996 was the last time the Cowboys won a divisional round game. Man you are opening up all my old wounds. To this day I cannot forget the news of Jimmy and Jerry parting ways. Today it would have broken twitter. Band to back champions HC leaving. Jerry Jones saying I could get 500 coaches to do what Jimmy is doing.
But us Cowboys fans have accepted mediocrity, plain and simple. We shed tears over Romo retiring or if Romo got replaced. False hero worship...
Jerry Jones has won life but he has been an abject failure tin running this organization. I am not even asking for a SB, I am happy even getting to a championship game. 25 years since we had a chance to play for a spot in the big game. We are not America’s team. We are Just above the Lions, Skins, Browns.
My thoughts have always been that Jerry doesn’t live breathe SB’s. He had tremendous success early in ownership and has just ridden that wave since then. He is not trying to win a SB. He just doesn’t want to be 3-13. Anywhere between 7-9 to 10-6 is acceptable. Every week we should be on First take or undisputed. Hope for Sunday night flexes. He only cares about the sizzle and being in the limelight. Some will argue some will think I am crazy, but don’t trust what people say but what they do.

75boyz

Reaction score
I am so glad people realize that. 1995 was the last SB season. January 1996 was the last time the Cowboys won a divisional round game. Man you are opening up all my old wounds. To this day I cannot forget the news of Jimmy and Jerry parting ways. Today it would have broken twitter. Band to back champions HC leaving. Jerry Jones saying I could get 500 coaches to do what Jimmy is doing.
But us Cowboys fans have accepted mediocrity, plain and simple. We shed tears over Romo retiring or if Romo got replaced. False hero worship...
Jerry Jones has won life but he has been an abject failure tin running this organization. I am not even asking for a SB, I am happy even getting to a championship game. 25 years since we had a chance to play for a spot in the big game. We are not America’s team. We are Just above the Lions, Skins, Browns.
My thoughts have always been that Jerry doesn’t live breathe SB’s. He had tremendous success early in ownership and has just ridden that wave since then. He is not trying to win a SB. He just doesn’t want to be 3-13. Anywhere between 7-9 to 10-6 is acceptable. Every week we should be on First take or undisputed. Hope for Sunday night flexes. He only cares about the sizzle and being in the limelight. Some will argue some will think I am crazy, but don’t trust what people say but what they do.

Nicely done. I appreciate your personal reflection and perspective as I share much of your opinion as well.

Go Cowboys