Feels like our legacy is dwindling

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It’s certainly isn’t growing , I can promise you that
I am aware of this. I just don't know if this bothers Jerry at all. It's shameful what SFO has been able to do since 2011. They are very close to passing us, and it feels to me like it might ruin what's left of Jerry's legacy with us if they win it. Unless he responds and wins the SB before he dies.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ya just get that after 28 years?

To me, I started in 2000, so I'm aware of the struggles this team has had. It feels like the legacy Jerry has was on life support after the Steelers and Pats 6th (especially Pittsburgh's). It might be dead if the 49ers win, and he doesn't win one before he dies.

nobody

Reaction score
I am aware of this. I just don't know if this bothers Jerry at all. It's shameful what SFO has been able to do since 2011. They are very close to passing us, and it feels to me like it might ruin what's left of Jerry's legacy with us if they win it. Unless he responds and wins the SB before he dies.
It doesn't bother him at all because he doesn't see it. he see the seats of the stadium full, he's making more money than ever. He sees everyone talking about the Cowboys, even if it is to mock them and he thinks that's enough.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Business as usual.

I really hope not. I seriously hope Jerry doesn't go business as usual. If he does, then that means that we care more about legacy and all that than he does. It means we care more about the Cowboys than he does. If that's the case, then it's probably the most shameful thing he has. If I were Jimmy, I'd tell him to think about the legacy. Jerry put Jimmy in the ROH. Maybe Jerry and Jimmy can find some way to work together again. Obviously, not as a coach, but maybe there's like an advisor role that Jimmy can perform for Jerry.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It doesn't bother him at all because he doesn't see it. he see the seats of the stadium full, he's making more money than ever. He sees everyone talking about the Cowboys, even if it is to mock them and he thinks that's enough.

And worse, it leads to us fans getting mocked like we do. I honestly don't understand why we fans get as much hate as we do, or this organisation. It's not like we've done anything for the last 28 years. It's not like we have anything to be proud of lately. I wonder if any of the hate is sort of sympathy towards us cheering for this team.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys legacy at this point is they get a lot of attention during the season and then choke when it matters.

That is the sentiment of most non-Cowboys fans and sports media commentators as well as many Cowboys fans.

The only people who still view the Cowboys as Champions are the people who grew up last century.

That's all we Cowboys fans have until the Cowboys find a way to win when it matters.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?
Furry chap, are you confusing lore or legend with legacy?

slick325

Reaction score
It does every year we move away from the 1995 season.

I remember feeling the same way before the 90's Cowboys went on their run. The 80's began with 3 straight NFC Championship games, but the rest of the decade was very depressing.

These 28 years have been rough.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The Cowboys legacy at this point is they get a lot of attention during the season and then choke when it matters.

That is the sentiment of most non-Cowboys fans and sports media commentators.

The only people who still view the Cowboys as Champions are the people who grew up last century.

That's all we Cowboys fans have until the Cowboys find a way to win when it matters.

And it sucks. It sucks realising that we're in this circle ATM with an owner who doesn't seem to care. It'd be one thing if he cared and was trying to win a championship. The fact that I have questions about if he really wants to win a championship leads to a whole other issue imo.

nobody

Reaction score
And worse, it leads to us fans getting mocked like we do. I honestly don't understand why we fans get as much hate as we do, or this organisation. It's not like we've done anything for the last 28 years. It's not like we have anything to be proud of lately. I wonder if any of the hate is sort of sympathy towards us cheering for this team.
The hate is from the arrogance of fans in the 90's. People have a long memory. It's also a massive amount of jealousy for the Cowboys being "America's team"

Status
Not open for further replies.