Feels like our legacy is dwindling

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMO415

Reaction score
We're the most talked about team in sports. That is our legacy. Our legacy has never been stronger.
Jerry_Nod.gif

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?
Our legacy is definitely diminishing.

I always root for the teams to lose in the playoffs that have a stronger legacy than us( Steelers and Patriots) or a similar legacy ( Whiners, GB, and KC ). I cannot stand the Whiners. I will be rooting hard for KC. I think KC will win to! They have the best QB in football and the best Defensive Coordinator in Spagnola. There D is playing better than the Whiners D!

We have not one crap in 30 years AND our legacy, right now, is still top 3 in the NFL. If Jerry wakes up out of his coma this year, maybe he will finally decide to go all in AND give us a solid chance to win our 6th Superbowl. Coaches need to show up though. I would have dropped McCarthy and Quinn and hired Belichick as the HC and Vrabel as the DC.

chuck520

Reaction score
what legacy? for 28 years we have been one of the worst performing post season teams in the league. literally. the 90s and 70s are too far back for some to even remember. some of the fans weren't even born then.
they arent that far back. You talk as if its 100 years ago. I remember the 1990's not the 1970's but it isnt that far back in time that we cant remember any of this? You forget about Roger Staubach already?
Football fans need to embrace the history and tradition not ridicule it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
they arent that far back. You talk as if its 100 years ago. I remember the 1990's not the 1970's but it isnt that far back in time that we cant remember any of this? You forget about Roger Staubach already?
I haven't forgotten about 70s, watched the superbowls then. watched the 90s. but in NFL, its ancient history. 28 years is about half of cowboys history.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Our legacy is definitely diminishing.

I always root for the teams to lose in the playoffs that have a stronger legacy than us( Steelers and Patriots) or a similar legacy ( Whiners, GB, and KC ). I cannot stand the Whiners. I will be rooting hard for KC. I think KC will win to! They have the best QB in football and the best Defensive Coordinator in Spagnola. There D is playing better than the Whiners D!

We have not one crap in 30 years AND our legacy, right now, is still top 3 in the NFL. If Jerry wakes up out of his coma this year, maybe he will finally decide to go all in AND give us a solid chance to win our 6th Superbowl. Coaches need to show up though. I would have dropped McCarthy and Quinn and hired Belichick as the HC and Vrabel as the DC.

Yeah, but it won't be long before KC catches us.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
When you are one of only 10 franchises out of 124 in the big 4 professional team sports that hasn't appeared in a conference deciding game or series in the 21st century, when the Lions pass you up, you might as well be a dinosaur.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm 48, and I can confirm our legacy is not only dwindling, it's all but gone. Nobody cares about the 90's anymore...not even me. I can't even tell you if I'll ever watch my Super Bowl VHS again. Well, probably SB XXX. At this point it's depressing and a reminder of what we will never ever be again under a Jones. Which means maybe not the rest of my life, but probably the rest that I'm able to care. Other dynasties have come and have fallen since us, and some are in the process of forming right now. Meanwhile we are a running joke...a punchline and Jerry is fine with that as long as we are the subject of the discussion. I was surprised at how emotional I got watching Jimmy give his passionate ROH speech, and even his halftime rant. My eyes were watering, as much for what some of us will never see again as nostalgia.
yeah jimmy was great speaker, and I was more excited about his induction, than I was the game lol.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s depressing…
  • If SF wins the SB this year, they will have 6 SB wins, and will joins the patriots and the Steelers at the top. We've been stuck on 5 for 28 years.
  • But SF has been way better overall in the playoffs the last three decades playing in 6 NFC championship games, winning 3. We haven’t played in a single NFC championship game in that same period.
  • GB has played in 8 NFC championship games since our last.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
It's gone lmao

We are one of the butt jokes of the league now. Every other team knows they are closer to a Super Bowl than we are, even if that is 10, 20 or 40+ years away. It's still will be closer than we are with this family owning us

ArtClink

Reaction score
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?
I think there are three legacies: 1) The Cowboys legacy built by Tex Schram and Tom Landry (20 consecutive winning seasons, 2 championships, 2) Jimmys legacy of being the architect of a three time Super Bowl champ, 3) Jerry’s legacy is the past almost thirty years which remains the worst almost 30 year stretch in franchise history.

I’m 61 and you have not really suffered half as much as us older fans who experienced the Landry years. You have no idea how much it sucks to watch the fuhrer run this franchise into the ground.

ArtClink

Reaction score
It’s depressing…
  • If SF wins the SB this year, they will have 6 SB wins, and will joins the patriots and the Steelers at the top. We've been stuck on 5 for 28 years.
  • But SF has been way better overall in the playoffs the last three decades playing in 6 NFC championship games, winning 3. We haven’t played in a single NFC championship game in that same period.
  • GB has played in 8 NFC championship games since our last.
But Jerry has made us the most profitable franchise and we have the biggest stadium.

Cmac

Reaction score

Simple, young fella.....according to age.....you had a diaper on during the last SB and was crying for candy. You haven't been old enough to witness the 90's dynasty. I honestly feel bad for you and the other youngsters on the board.

It's ok......just some wisdom from the old man.

OIP.K2QRk9ehOy8_9XRQJYN9YgHaLG

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think there are three legacies: 1) The Cowboys legacy built by Tex Schram and Tom Landry (20 consecutive winning seasons, 2 championships, 2) Jimmys legacy of being the architect of a three time Super Bowl champ, 3) Jerry’s legacy is the past almost thirty years which remains the worst almost 30 year stretch in franchise history.

I’m 61 and you have not really suffered half as much as us older fans who experienced the Landry years. You have no idea how much it sucks to watch the fuhrer run this franchise into the ground.

True, but at least you saw success

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Simple, young fella.....according to age.....you had a diaper on during the last SB and was crying for candy. You haven't been old enough to witness the 90's dynasty. I honestly feel bad for you and the other youngsters on the board.

It's ok......just some wisdom from the old man.

OIP.K2QRk9ehOy8_9XRQJYN9YgHaLG

Yeah, I was in preschool the last time we won one. When we won the first one in the 90s, I was about a month old, and I started around 2000 as a fan. That should give some context for my viewing experience.

Cmac

Reaction score
Yeah, I was in preschool the last time we won one. When we won the first one in the 90s, I was about a month old, and I started around 2000 as a fan. That should give some context for my viewing experience.
All good....no disrespect to your youth. Always enjoy the ride.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
5 is it for us. I hope SF wins, rubs their nuts on the trophy, and lets Jerry kiss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.