Feels like our legacy is dwindling

Status
Not open for further replies.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?
Legacy been dwindling for years.....
This team is an empty shell now.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The hate is from the arrogance of fans in the 90's. People have a long memory. It's also a massive amount of jealousy for the Cowboys being "America's team"

Yeah, but why does it stem to us younger fans that haven't had a chance to see anything like that? Maybe that hate will dwindle before long. I just want this team to return to some sort of form. I'm not asking for a dynasty. I just want to see us stumble into winning one. I've never seen us in the NFCC since becoming a fan. I just want to see us finally achieve something.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Legacy? After 28 years of that Bozo GM?
267x267_jim%20mora.jpg

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Legacy? After 28 years of that Bozo GM?
267x267_jim%20mora.jpg

Look. I'm young. I'm trying my best to be the best fan that I can be, and always will be. But, to me, it seems like we had at least some dignity. If the 49ers win this year, it feels like there'd be next to nothing to be proud of with this team. I'll always be a fan, and I've made that clear (even though Jerry doesn't deserve it). However, it hurts seeing it. At least to me. Maybe not to Jerry, but to me, it hurts.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Blame the Football Gods....

We could have Shanahan as OC, Belicheck as DC, McClay buying groceries, Jerry out of the picture...

Dallas would still fail.

No ones solution would work. Its not our time.

nobody

Reaction score
Yeah, but why does it stem to us younger fans that haven't had a chance to see anything like that? Maybe that hate will dwindle before long. I just want this team to return to some sort of form. I'm not asking for a dynasty. I just want to see us stumble into winning one. I've never seen us in the NFCC since becoming a fan. I just want to see us finally achieve something.
I feel for you younger fans, but it's not likely to change. Hate breeds hate, so people train other people to hate Cowboys fans in a cycle. Just how it is.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I feel for you younger fans, but it's not likely to change. Hate breeds hate, so people train other people to hate Cowboys fans in a cycle. Just how it is.

Yeah, but we suck. How can fans hate a team whose fans know we suck?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Blame the Football Gods....

We could have Shanahan as OC, Belicheck as DC, McClay buying groceries, Jerry out of the picture...

Dallas would still fail.

No ones solution would work. Its not our time.

Maybe. I don't know. I'm just frustrated.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it sucks. It sucks realising that we're in this circle ATM with an owner who doesn't seem to care. It'd be one thing if he cared and was trying to win a championship. The fact that I have questions about if he really wants to win a championship leads to a whole other issue imo.
Oh Jerry wants to win. He's just not willing to make serious changes and risk losing the revenue that a bad season would bring.

He prefers throwing more spices into the pot every year hoping that fixes the stale meal even though it has not worked in 28 years.

When you think about it, it really is no surprise the team's players care more about their money and stats than they do winning Super Bowls because it seems team ownership does as well.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh Jerry wants to win. He's just not willing to make serious changes and risk losing the revenue that a bad season would bring.

He prefers throwing more spices into the pot every year hoping that fixes things even though it has not worked in 28 years.

When you think about it, it really is no surprise the team's players care more about their money and stats than they do winning Super Bowls because it seems team ownership does as well.

Then he doesn't truly want to win. If he did, he'd see his legacy flying away and would do everything possible to do it.

nobody

Reaction score
Yeah, but we suck. How can fans hate a team whose fans know we suck?
Because of that jealousy I mentioned and all the press the Cowboys get despite how they choke. There are also Cowboys fans that are loudmouth trash-talking jerks that paint all Cowboys fans in a bad light. Nevermind that all teams have those. Some people just think the Cowboys fans are worse. If I were you, I would stop caring what they think. There's no changing that they'll continue to hate Cowboys fans.

(I'm convinced some of the biggest Cowboys haters and Cowboys fan haters were once Cowboys fans that got let down one too many times)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Because of that jealousy I mentioned and all the press the Cowboys get despite how they choke. There are also Cowboys fans that are loudmouth trash-talking jerks that paint all Cowboys fans in a bad light. Nevermind that all teams have those. Some people just think the Cowboys fans are worse. If I were you, I would stop caring what they think. There's no changing that they'll continue to hate Cowboys fans.

(I'm convinced some of the biggest Cowboys haters and Cowboys fan haters were once Cowboys fans that got let down one too many times)

Fair enough....I'm just beyond frustrated. I'm always going to stick with this team. Heck, I've made my fursona heavily around this team because it's my favourite team. That said, it hurts seeing what's going on and realising what's going on.

Bing

Reaction score
The 90's were nice but the Cowboy legacy was the 1970's. For 10 years we were a team that any year we were not playing in the superbowl was considered a poor season. 5 superbowl appearances in 10 years. The Cowboys were expected to be the best in the NFL during that time, not just there to put on a good show like today. Jerry Jones took this franchise from a winning football team to a circus side show.

Status
Not open for further replies.