Ferguson has been very good, but Schoonmaker has more upside

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I remember how many said Martellus Bennett had more upside than Jason Witten. lol He was much more athletic and faster than Witten. They were the same height, but Bennett was close to 275 pounds. We all saw how that turned out. Ferguson looked good as a rookie and continues to get better. Schoonmaker hasn’t shown very good hands and has been a disappointment so far. I don’t see him becoming an elite TE.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I hope he develops, but I’m not sure about upside. Schoon is a year older than Ferguson.
It's more about the experience within the league and being healthy though. Big jump. So, knowing what it's like and having been through it gives you an edge because of the whole assumed knowledge vs. true knowledge.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
I remember how many said Martellus Bennett had more upside than Jason Witten. lol He was much more athletic and faster than Witten. They were the same height, but Bennett was close to 275 pounds. We all saw how that turned out. Ferguson looked good as a rookie and continues to get better. Schoonmaker hasn’t shown very good hands and has been a disappointment so far. I don’t see him becoming an elite TE.
we can use both players.

Garbagetime

Reaction score
I'm actually pretty pleased with Schoonmaker so far. I never envisioned him being a top blocking tight end year one and he is already that. After he missed the whole training camp with that foot injury anyone that knows anything knew his targets would be limited.

Can't forecast injuries so not going to hold that against him but looks good to me

Stak78

Reaction score
Schoon’s hands have been suspect up to this point. His blocking has been great. It’s hard to believe he’s faster that Ferg. I don’t care what a 40 time says. Ferg plays faster and is very quick in the open field. I would feel much better about Schoonmaker’s “upside” if he wasn’t a 25 year old rookie.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Uhhh no he doesn't have this mystical "upside". Always will be a blocking TE that is not anything like an athletic pass catcher.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He doesn't have the DOG Mentality that Ferguson has, that's all that matters!!!! Or TBD

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
They are basically the same size. Ferguson is younger. So we can talk about Schoonmaker developing, but his older than Ferguson.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Bennett was a headcase and that's why he flamed out in Dallas. I trust that the coaching staff can figure out how to properly utilize both guys. Schoon has some nice catches, but some bad drops. He's a helluva player in the run game. I think he would look better with more targets, but Jake is playing out of his mind and there's no reason to lighten his load. Great problem to have.