Ferguson has been very good, but Schoonmaker has more upside

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
we can use both players.
We will for the time being. Peyton Hendershot has been injured most of the season. Schoonmaker’s career in Dallas will likely depend on how he progresses next season. He was given a great opportunity this year with Dalton Schultz moving on and Hendershot’s injury along with John Stephens being injured in training camp. Stephens was having a great camp until his injury.

1942willys

Reaction score
Better athlete on paper does not necessarily mean better football player.
Yeah. Just because you are more athletic means not a lot as we have seen over the years. Jason Witten for example. Some of the all time greats were NOT physically great; look at Brady.
Production is what matters; looking pretty does not

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Yeah. Just because you are more athletic means not a lot as we have seen over the years. Jason Witten for example. Some of the all time greats were NOT physically great; look at Brady.
Production is what matters; looking pretty does not
donr sleep on wittens athleticism. He ran 4.65. I saw him catch a deep td on prime al Harris.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I remember how many said Martellus Bennett had more upside than Jason Witten. lol He was much more athletic and faster than Witten. They were the same height, but Bennett was close to 275 pounds. We all saw how that turned out. Ferguson looked good as a rookie and continues to get better. Schoonmaker hasn’t shown very good hands and has been a disappointment so far. I don’t see him becoming an elite TE.
I think Schoonmaker will improve but Ferguson is not only catch reliable but very tough. How much more athletic does Ferguson have to be considering he leaped over that one Seahawks defender who was trying to tackle him in the game.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'll take current productivity over potential productivity any time.

"Upside" is another way of saying that he's capable of doing what he hasn't done yet. That's Schoonmaker.

Ferguson is doing it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
You said Dak sucks so what the hell do you know exactly?

reddyuta

Reaction score
Imo we should increase TE targets by 5-6 a game,they are more open than our receivers who attract more coverage.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I hope he develops, but I’m not sure about upside. Schoon is a year older than Ferguson.
If it was not for a year completely lost and another severely curtailed while he was in school, I would agree with you.

He was not in a very developed passing scheme before and certainly has plenty he can learn. He is already plenty big, fast, and quick. That is evident in his run blocking. He just needs to develop his skills in the passing game. Schoon's biggest issue is his drops. Ferg never really had that problem but Schultz did at first.

He has the potential for a big year 2 jump with the training and development program. He still likely won't physically peak for a couple years given his age.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Right up front, both are now strong contributers. This combo will explode in contributitons with a coming strong running game.

817Gill

Reaction score
Nah Spoonmaker is a wasted pick. Should have gone oline or linebacker.
Which OL? The LG that would have been a backup or the C that’s been awful this year?

And we drafted a LB in round 3 who looked like a beast before injury. Not sure what you mentioned those two positions for.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
has been a disappointment so far.
How so? He is playing more and more snaps every game. His blocking is getting better and doing a great job on special teams. I wish he would get more targets but there are only so many he will get.

I remember the dozens and dozens of threads during the summer that said he wouldn't play at all this year. It would be a IR year. A wasted year and some said he wouldn't ever be able to plat. Instead he overcame his injury and proved so many people wrong.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
lets give schoon another year. blocking is natural to him and if he can do that. and make a catch here and there, then he is OK

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
possible. Ironically if Hendershot can fix his hands of stone, he might have more potential from a pure receiving standpoint than either of them. But I love me some Ferguson.

Creeper

Reaction score
Nah Spoonmaker is a wasted pick. Should have gone oline or linebacker.
Such as? The Cowboys took Overshown in the 3rd round to address the LB spot. No one could have foreseen his injury in April.

Any offensive lineman they drafted would be sitting on the bench now waiting for Zack Martin to retire or get injured. I wasn't crazy about the TE in the 2nd either but looking at the board and who was available, Schoonmaker may have been the best player available at that spot who could get on the field in his rookie season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How so? He is playing more and more snaps every game. His blocking is getting better and doing a great job on special teams. I wish he would get more targets but there are only so many he will get.

I remember the dozens and dozens of threads during the summer that said he wouldn't play at all this year. It would be a IR year. A wasted year and some said he wouldn't ever be able to plat. Instead he overcame his injury and proved so many people wrong.
Having only 7 catches for 61 yards and a couple of TDs from a yard out, with a couple of drops is a disappointment in my book for a second round pick. His production is way behind the other TEs he was mentioned with in his draft class. The planter fasciitis he suffered this summer could be used as an excuse for setting him back. He has provided something as a blocker, but many fans were expecting a lot more as a receiver, due to his draft status. The jury is still out and we’ll see how the rest of the season plays out for him. He could end up making a big play in a critical game that could change everyone’s opinion who’ve been disappointed in him.