Ferguson has been very good, but Schoonmaker has more upside

doomsday9084

Reaction score
You know how a lot of people think that RB is a position that can easily be filled in the draft and shouldn't get a lot of cap dollars? Well, that's TE.

There might be a handful of really good TE's that are a cut above but for the most part there is no positional scarcity here. Kudos to the Cowboys not giving Schultz a big deal. My only beef is that I wish they had waited for Schoonmaker to drop. I suspect he could have been had later and Dallas could have used their 2nd on an OL or WR or RB or LB.

kskboys

Reaction score
You know how a lot of people think that RB is a position that can easily be filled in the draft and shouldn't get a lot of cap dollars? Well, that's TE.

There might be a handful of really good TE's that are a cut above but for the most part there is no positional scarcity here. Kudos to the Cowboys not giving Schultz a big deal. My only beef is that I wish they had waited for Schoonmaker to drop. I suspect he could have been had later and Dallas could have used their 2nd on an OL or WR or RB or LB.

Agree. TE's are easy to find. We have had a couple ourselves taken in the mid rounds who were highly effective, Schultz and Fergie. I have no idea why we thought we had to go TE in the 2nd, makes zero sense. Schooner is not some can't miss prospect w/ huge upside. We take Torrence, we win the Philly game. He would've made a monster of a difference.

Redline360

Reaction score
I will take the player who is smaller, not as fast but is smart and understand the games and has the "dog mentality" in him anytime.

So many athletic freaks that never mature to anything in professional sports. Due to no drive, drugs/alcohol, smarts or etc

kskboys

Reaction score
I will take the player who is smaller, not as fast but is smart and understand the games and has the "dog mentality" in him anytime.

So many athletic freaks that never mature to anything in professional sports. Due to no drive, drugs/alcohol, smarts or etc
To expound, you take the football player over the traits guy. Taking a guy just because he has some standout traits leads to the Kelvin Joseph type player. If you want that traits guy, take him in the 5th. Or let someone else overdraft him.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
There is absolutely no way you can state this and be taken seriously. Schoonmaker is struggling to simply catch the ball while Ferguson is adept at that.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is absolutely no way you can state this and be taken seriously. Schoonmaker is struggling to simply catch the ball while Ferguson is adept at that.
"Body catcher who lets passes into his frame way too often. Drops are an issue at times even when he is uncontested at the catch point."

Dang, another player playing up to his scouting report. I thought those were wrong all the time?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Ferguson is starting to feel comfortable and his confidence is building. He

Hopefully things click for Schoonmaker the same way, but he has his work cut out for him if he wants to surpass Ferguson right now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
The only thing that matters is what they show on the field, and Ferguson seems to have plenty of speed/quickness and has proven he can be productive. At this point, I haven't seen explosiveness from Schoonmaker yet, but maybe with more experience and opportunity that will come out. Still, as things are today, it seems premature to declare that Schoonmaker has anything over Ferguson, except maybe blocking.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The only thing that matters is what they show on the field, and Ferguson seems to have plenty of speed/quickness and has proven he can be productive. At this point, I haven't seen explosiveness from Schoonmaker yet, but maybe with more experience and opportunity that will come out. Still, as things are today, it seems premature to declare that Schoonmaker has anything over Ferguson, except maybe blocking.
That's a good way to put it. Schoonmaker has the speed on a track, but he is playing slow and tentative right now. Lots of drops and going down to soft tackles.

Ferguson is playing confident and full-speed. Look at him smash facemasks with Jamal Adams. That's a guy who's picking a fight because he knows he can win it.