Ferguson has been very good, but Schoonmaker has more upside

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think Schoonmaker will improve but Ferguson is not only catch reliable but very tough. How much more athletic does Ferguson have to be considering he leaped over that one Seahawks defender who was trying to tackle him in the game.
Schoonmaker should improve, but Ferguson has really taken a stranglehold of our number one TE position and has become a security blanket for our QB. Ferguson is becoming a fan favorite with his reliability and toughness.

CWR

Reaction score
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
For a long time we have been at our best in 12 personnel.

That had a lot to do with taking Schoon.

I agree though he has a lot of upside. The biggest issue is he's older and needs to develop quickly.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Schoonmaker is looking pretty Fasano-ish right now. Good blocking, and I am happy to see that translated quickly, but in the passing game he is kind of a wreck. Not a good route runner, not good hands, clumsy going for YAC...

TE is a slow developing position, so I am not going to write him off after 1 year. But the passing game is where he will have to justify his draft pick, and he is looking really rough there.

Ferguson has put it together. The book on him at Wisconsin was that he was a gritty, low ceiling, blocking and button hook sort of TE. But he's now working the middle and deep portions of the field with aplomb. He's also cashing in the short routes, and blocking better than Schultz ever did. Frankly, Ferguson is just the real deal. I'd call him a top 10 NFL TE.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Schoonmaker is looking pretty Fasano-ish right now. Good blocking, and I am happy to see that translated quickly, but in the passing game he is kind of a wreck. Not a good route runner, not good hands, clumsy going for YAC...

TE is a slow developing position, so I am not going to write him off after 1 year. But the passing game is where he will have to justify his draft pick and he is looking really rough there.

Ferguson has put it together. The book on him at Wisconsin was that he was a gritty, low ceiling, blocking and button hook sort of TE. But he's now working the middle and deep portions of the field with aplomb. He's also cashing in the short routes, and blocking better than Schultz ever did. Frankly, Ferguson is just the real deal. I'd call him a top 10 NFL TE.
That's a pretty good assessment and there's nothing wrong with schoonmaker becoming fasano Anthony fassano was a solid #2 and you know we've run a lot of two and three tight end sets they're both going to be needed here.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The Cowboys had 3rd round grades on BOTH Ferguson and Schoonmaker. Ferguson dropped, was considered a steal in the 4th round. The Cowboys specifically drafted him to replace Schultz after Schultz turned down the long term offer from the Cowboys. They put the franchise tag on Schultz to keep him one year, so Ferguson would have a year to develop.

As for Schoonmaker, the Cowboys needed a TE who was a good blocker for their run game, and was not just a pass catcher. The top 2 run blocking TE’s in the draft who ALSO projected to be good pass catchers were La Porta and Schoonmaker. The Cowboys weren’t interested in TE’s like Kincaid and Musgrave because of their perceived lack of blocking skills. Schoonmaker has been a huge part of the offensive production over the past several games mostly due to his blocking in games, but has also shown glimpses of pass catching ability.

Unless John Stephens regresses or gets injured again next year, Hendershoy has no long term prospects on the team. Stephens is the pure pass catching TE that will be on the team. Sean McKeon may stick around as the 4th TE.

Schoonmaker will play a much bigger role in the offense in coming seasons, and may yet prove to be a key player in a potential Super Bowl run this season with his blocking skills.

In the coming seasons, it wouldn’t shock me if both Ferguson and Schoonmaker develop into the 2nd and 3rd options in the passing game, behind only Lamb. Since TE’s are less expensive than wide receivers, that would benefit the Cowboys.

I really don’t think understand the tension among fans between Ferguson and Schoonmaker. If you don’t have preconceived judgements about how the Cowboys should have spent their 2nd round pick last Spring, then you have to be encouraged by how Schoonmaker has contributed in the blocking scheme, and how his role appears to be increasing as a receiver. There isn’t a reason to choose either Ferguson or Schoonmaker. Embrace the healing power of the word “AND.” Having Ferguson AND Schoonmaker is good for the long-term health of the team. And for those wondering about the value of a 3rd round graded prospect, which applies to both players, remember that future HOF TE Travis Kelce was a 3rd round pick in 2013 - albeit the first pick of the 3rd round - after the Cowboys drafted the late Gavin Escobar in the 2nd round.

As for Schoonmaker being a 25 year old rookie, Terence Newman was a 25 year old rookie for the Cowboys drafted by Bill Parcells in 2003. He played 15 years in the NFL. Schoonmaker is plenty young enough to play a long time.

But I really like Ferguson also. I hope they both turn into Pro Bowl players for the Cowboys.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
To say Ferg is more than a medicore TE is a far strech but anyways ...

I like Schoonmaker a lot.

He got some bad reps because for that goaline catch that was a bit short. But that wasnt his fault.
I hope he gets more chances to show what he is able to do.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Went back to watch some Schoonmaker in college to see what routes he was running and what's he's best at in the passing game. It reminded me, I think Schoon is more Shultz-ish in the type of routes he should run and his progression trajectory. Luke needs to learn some nuances of route running, using his body n arms to push off and create separation. Dude is a clinic run blocking.

Side note: Schoon has quick feet on 6-8 yard curls, but doesn't incorporate those feet on other routes. Upside? Yes, but will he develop in the passing game.

The better Schoon becomes the better the Cowboys 12 personnel will be at destroying Defenses. Ferg had his breakout, now we need Luke to accelerate his development before the Playoffs.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Went back to watch some Schoonmaker in college to see what routes he was running and what's he's best at in the passing game. It reminded me, I think Schoon is more Shultz-ish in the type of routes he should run and his progression trajectory. Luke needs to learn some nuances of route running, using his body n arms to push off and create separation. Dude is a clinic run blocking.

Side note: Schoon has quick feet on 6-8 yard curls, but doesn't incorporate those feet on other routes. Upside? Yes, but will he develop in the passing game.

The better Schoon becomes the better the Cowboys 12 personnel will be at destroying Defenses. Ferg had his breakout, now we need Luke to accelerate his development before the Playoffs.
I think he'll never be the most agile guy, but he does have some speed in a straight line. I think he'll be dangerous on seam routes, like against Carolina. I could swear I've seen him getting a step on the LB a few times on that route since, but Dak is usually looking somewhere else.

And let's face it, he's at best fourth choice behind Lamb, Cooks, and Ferg. That alone will limit his catches. But I think he can be effective the few times they do try him.

Stak78

Reaction score
I would have much rather had Devon Achane in the second round. Achane would have brought some much needed juice to our anemic running game. Ferg showed talent last year. McKeon is a good blocker and Hendershot is a receiving threat. We didn’t need to reach on a 25 year old “project” with upside. Now we will most likely have to address running back situation in the second or third round next year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't think he was a wasted pick. I think he has a bright future. However, we need more out of him this year, if we are going to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Ferguson is easily a top 5 TE. Not sure why it took us so long to GM figure it out. He showed plenty of signs last year.
i agree , he is a beast .

schoon has " potential " , like every TE in the NFL has potential .

Ferg does it right now .

quickccc

Reaction score
SMH .
.. Is this yet another case of one judging upside and potential strictly off t-shirt-shorts workout measurements ? .

Schoon's pre-draft workout numbers may be better and impressive than Fergy's own predraft numbers, but Jake looks more agile and possesses run after catch skills than Schoon when both are on playing field,

quickccc

Reaction score
Ferguson is easily a top 5 TE. Not sure why it took us so long to GM figure it out. He showed plenty of signs last year.
That still remains the big mystery question ... seems like the club had pre-draft doubts about Fergy as a No.1 lead TE.

erod

Reaction score
All that matters is Hendershot is done here.

Schoon was drafted to block and catch. He and Ferguson should be a good tandem.