Ferguson has been very good, but Schoonmaker has more upside

Chasing6

Reaction score
.6 catches a game is not a threat. A threat is not when he is intentionally left open and gets a random touchdown. A threat is someone who can impact the game on any given play.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Your not looking for many friends eh?
He has a point, schoon wasnt in the training camp much , so he didnt develop too muchof chemistry with Dak. It would be better to use him also, especially in the RZ.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is this one of those hot takes designed to get people arguing? If so. Well done sir.
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
Is this one of those hot takes designed to get people arguing? If so. Well done sir.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
I don't think I've seen enough from Schoonmaker to believe he has a higher ceiling than Ferguson. His blocking has been solid but Ferg looks like the better pass catcher.

At this point it doesn't matter Ferg has done well replacing Schultz

Jumbo075

Reaction score
That doesn’t change my opinion of him.
Having an opinion about Schoonmaker this early in his career is just idiotic. There isn't enough evidence on either side to determine if Schoonmaker will turn out to be a good player or bad draft pick. Any thought otherwise is premature.

exciter

Reaction score
He has a point, schoon wasnt in the training camp much , so he didnt develop too muchof chemistry with Dak. It would be better to use him also, especially in the RZ.
I’m not disagreeing with him nor do I have an issue with the pick… McCarthy has been a proponent of 12 personnel throughout his career. I think Moore progressively going away from it as the season progressed is a large part of their separation. I’m just stating it’s not gonna be a popular opinion!

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Along with other things, gotta see both his willingness to block and get nasty over an extended period of time. Just because a dude is a little bigger and a little faster doesn’t raise his ceiling in a game like football. Ferguson is quickly becoming a proven commodity. The coaches see both of them in practice and we know who’s getting the reps right now.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He sure is good at dropping passes or catching them just short of the marker. A lot of upside for that to get better. :muttley:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Having an opinion about Schoonmaker this early in his career is just idiotic. There isn't enough evidence on either side to determine if Schoonmaker will turn out to be a good player or bad draft pick. Any thought otherwise is premature.
Maybe it’s idiotic in your view. People give opinions of players early in their careers all the time. It’s perfectly normal. I don’t think he’s going to live up to his second round draft status. He may end up being a decent serviceable player, but not a great player. That’s my opinion based on what I’ve seen of him so far.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I would challenge anyone to find tape of Schoon in college playing close to that times speed or purported athleticism.

mardwin

Reaction score
Schoon looks a lot larger than Ferguson but Ferguson looks more athletic.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
What makes you think we can afford two elite tight ends after Dak is extended. In fact, we should start holding our breath. Especially on defense.

erod

Reaction score
.6 catches a game is not a threat. A threat is not when he is intentionally left open and gets a random touchdown. A threat is someone who can impact the game on any given play.
How many footballs do you think are out there?

Dak throws about 35 times a game. 4-5 are thrown away. 5-8 are checkdowns to the backs.

So that leaves about 25 balls for Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Turpin, Ferguson, Schoonmaker, McKeon.

Basic math. He's doing fine.

J-man

Reaction score
I think Schoon can eventually be a good all around TE. But regardless of his "ceiling" he should never have been taken with that 2nd rd pick, it should have been the OG Torrence, who is having a great year BTW. They let themselves be talked into taking Schoon by the media, who claimed we had to go get a replacement for Shultz.
They loved Ferg long before the season started. They knew then that he could be a really good player for us. They should have trusted their gut.
However, I like the idea of both of them being on the field next season. Could be a match up nightmare for defenses.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
What makes you think we can afford two elite tight ends after Dak is extended. In fact, we should start holding our breath. Especially on defense.
That's an issue for 2026/2027. Both guys still have multiple years on rookie deals so it's really not much of a discussion at this point. If both were to turn out to be stud TEs by the time they need paid you really have no idea what the cap situation will look like, plus you can always trade one a year early. Odds are though that one will be your TE for the next 5-10 years meanwhile the other gets to test free agency and the Cowboys recoup a draft pick. Not saying it's the best way to do business, but it's how the Cowboys have operated over the last 10 years or so now. If they can get a late 2nd round pick to be involved for four years, let them walk and collect a 4th or 5th round pick back their way it's viewed as a success. That's the math the Cowboys are using, and guarantee they look at picks like Awuzie and Connor Williams as successful picks because of it.

1942willys

Reaction score
Until someone shows it on the field all the 'potential' in the world is meaningless.
UNTIL then Ferguson should be given snaps over the rook